Rights to System Services

Hi All,

It appears that if I want to change security on certain services that are
not on the server that I'm running the GPO Editor that I have to go to a
computer/server that has that service that I want to change on it, add the
Active Directory Users and Computers (so I can access the GPO Editor) and
then change the security on that service.

My question is this. Is there any other way I can modify a service in the
GPO Editor that is not on the current server/computer or do I have to do the
above each time.

Thanks in advance,

Chris
2 answers Last reply
More about rights system services

    Chris,

    You will need to do the above (below now:-)) at least one time, to get the
    syntax of the service. The ideal way to do this is to do it once, and create
    a new security template from your settings. Just open the MMC, security
    templates and then save a new *.inf file after you configure the service.
    The file you create can then be moved to any other computer, and imported to
    any GPO!

    --
    Derek Melber
    BrainCore.Net
    "Chris Henderson" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > It appears that if I want to change security on certain services that are
    > not on the server that I'm running the GPO Editor that I have to go to a
    > computer/server that has that service that I want to change on it, add the
    > Active Directory Users and Computers (so I can access the GPO Editor) and
    > then change the security on that service.
    >
    > My question is this. Is there any other way I can modify a service in the
    > GPO Editor that is not on the current server/computer or do I have to do
    the
    > above each time.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Chris

    Hi Chris,

    I quite agree with what Derek said.

    If there is anything else unclear, please feel free to post back and I am
    glad to be of further assistance.

    Have a great day!

    Best Regards,

    Jeff Qiu
    Microsoft Online Partner Support
    MCSE 2k/2k3, MCSA 2k/2k3, MCDBA

    --------------------
    >From: "Chris Henderson" <someone@somewhere.com>
    >Subject: Rights to System Services
    >Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 15:16:56 -0700
    >microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy
    >
    >Hi All,
    >
    >It appears that if I want to change security on certain services that are
    >not on the server that I'm running the GPO Editor that I have to go to a
    >computer/server that has that service that I want to change on it, add the
    >Active Directory Users and Computers (so I can access the GPO Editor) and
    >then change the security on that service.
    >
    >My question is this. Is there any other way I can modify a service in the
    >GPO Editor that is not on the current server/computer or do I have to do
    the
    >above each time.
    >
    >Thanks in advance,
    >
    >Chris