Prevent CD-ROM & Floppy access

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
June 24, 2004 10:14:43 PM

Looking for a policy that will prevent access to the CD and Floppy
regardless what the drive letter is, in other words "Restrict CD-Rom access"
and not Restrict 'D' drive.

Thanks
Anonymous
June 25, 2004 1:46:04 PM

See the policy info listed below

Restrict CD-ROM access to locally logged-on user only
Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local
Policies\Security Options

Description
Determines whether a CD-ROM is accessible to both local and remote users
simultaneously.

If enabled, this policy allows only the interactively logged-on user to
access removable CD-ROM media. If no one is logged on interactively, the
CD-ROM may be shared over the network.

If this policy is disabled, then the local user and remote users can access
the CD-ROM simultaneously.

--
Tim Hines, MCSE, MCSA
Windows 2000 Directory Services

from your issue.

"Jeff Mackeny" <me@me.com> wrote in message
> Looking for a policy that will prevent access to the CD and Floppy
> regardless what the drive letter is, in other words "Restrict CD-Rom
access"
> and not Restrict 'D' drive.
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
June 27, 2004 3:09:47 AM

I saw this policy, but this doesn't help me, I want to disable the CD-ROM
indefinably, not based on simultaneously connection, I want to disable it
for the local user period

"Tim Hines [MSFT]" <timhines@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:o Sk1FrrWEHA.2940@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> See the policy info listed below
>
> Restrict CD-ROM access to locally logged-on user only
> Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local
> Policies\Security Options
>
> Description
> Determines whether a CD-ROM is accessible to both local and remote users
> simultaneously.
>
> If enabled, this policy allows only the interactively logged-on user to
> access removable CD-ROM media. If no one is logged on interactively, the
> CD-ROM may be shared over the network.
>
> If this policy is disabled, then the local user and remote users can
access
> the CD-ROM simultaneously.
>
> --
> Tim Hines, MCSE, MCSA
> Windows 2000 Directory Services

> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via
> your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit
> from your issue.
rights.

> "Jeff Mackeny" <me@me.com> wrote in message
> > Looking for a policy that will prevent access to the CD and Floppy
> > regardless what the drive letter is, in other words "Restrict CD-Rom
> access"
> > and not Restrict 'D' drive.
> >
> > Thanks

June 27, 2004 7:20:52 PM

To totally disable for a local user you will need a computer case with a locking
front panel or such. To disable it within the operating system effectively would
require the use of third party tools as shown in the links below. There are a couple
that have trial version time limited downloads. If you do try them, be sure to see if
they work in safe mode which will bypass a lot of programs including software
firewalls if booting into safe mode with networking. --- Steve

http://www.reflex-magnetics.com/products/disknetpro/
http://devicelock.securitybyte.com/

> I saw this policy, but this doesn't help me, I want to disable the CD-ROM
> indefinably, not based on simultaneously connection, I want to disable it
> for the local user period
>
> "Tim Hines [MSFT]" <timhines@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:o Sk1FrrWEHA.2940@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > See the policy info listed below
> >
> > Restrict CD-ROM access to locally logged-on user only
> > Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local
> > Policies\Security Options
> >
> > Description
> > Determines whether a CD-ROM is accessible to both local and remote users
> > simultaneously.
> >
> > If enabled, this policy allows only the interactively logged-on user to
> > access removable CD-ROM media. If no one is logged on interactively, the
> > CD-ROM may be shared over the network.
> >
> > If this policy is disabled, then the local user and remote users can
> access
> > the CD-ROM simultaneously.
> >
> > --
> > Tim Hines, MCSE, MCSA
> > Windows 2000 Directory Services

> > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via
> > your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit
> > from your issue.
> rights.
> >
> > "Jeff Mackeny" <me@me.com> wrote in message
> > > Looking for a policy that will prevent access to the CD and Floppy
> > > regardless what the drive letter is, in other words "Restrict CD-Rom
> > access"
> > > and not Restrict 'D' drive.
> > >
> > > Thanks

Anonymous
June 28, 2004 2:16:46 AM

Hard to believe that Microsoft's so called 'powerful' Group Policy doesn't
offer this.

news:o BBDc.161986$3x.48934@attbi_s54...

!