Prevent CD-ROM & Floppy access

Looking for a policy that will prevent access to the CD and Floppy
regardless what the drive letter is, in other words "Restrict CD-Rom access"
and not Restrict 'D' drive.

Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about prevent floppy access

    See the policy info listed below

    Restrict CD-ROM access to locally logged-on user only
    Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local
    Policies\Security Options

    Description
    Determines whether a CD-ROM is accessible to both local and remote users
    simultaneously.

    If enabled, this policy allows only the interactively logged-on user to
    access removable CD-ROM media. If no one is logged on interactively, the
    CD-ROM may be shared over the network.

    If this policy is disabled, then the local user and remote users can access
    the CD-ROM simultaneously.

    --
    Tim Hines, MCSE, MCSA
    Windows 2000 Directory Services

    from your issue.

    "Jeff Mackeny" <me@me.com> wrote in message
    > Looking for a policy that will prevent access to the CD and Floppy
    > regardless what the drive letter is, in other words "Restrict CD-Rom
    access"
    > and not Restrict 'D' drive.
    >
    > Thanks

    I saw this policy, but this doesn't help me, I want to disable the CD-ROM
    indefinably, not based on simultaneously connection, I want to disable it
    for the local user period

    "Tim Hines [MSFT]" <timhines@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > See the policy info listed below
    >
    > Restrict CD-ROM access to locally logged-on user only
    > Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local
    > Policies\Security Options
    >
    > Description
    > Determines whether a CD-ROM is accessible to both local and remote users
    > simultaneously.
    >
    > If enabled, this policy allows only the interactively logged-on user to
    > access removable CD-ROM media. If no one is logged on interactively, the
    > CD-ROM may be shared over the network.
    >
    > If this policy is disabled, then the local user and remote users can
    access
    > the CD-ROM simultaneously.
    >
    > --
    > Tim Hines, MCSE, MCSA
    > Windows 2000 Directory Services

    > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via
    > your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit
    > from your issue.
    rights.

    > "Jeff Mackeny" <me@me.com> wrote in message
    > > Looking for a policy that will prevent access to the CD and Floppy
    > > regardless what the drive letter is, in other words "Restrict CD-Rom
    > access"
    > > and not Restrict 'D' drive.
    > >
    > > Thanks

    To totally disable for a local user you will need a computer case with a locking
    front panel or such. To disable it within the operating system effectively would
    require the use of third party tools as shown in the links below. There are a couple
    that have trial version time limited downloads. If you do try them, be sure to see if
    they work in safe mode which will bypass a lot of programs including software
    firewalls if booting into safe mode with networking. --- Steve

    http://www.reflex-magnetics.com/products/disknetpro/
    http://devicelock.securitybyte.com/

    > I saw this policy, but this doesn't help me, I want to disable the CD-ROM
    > indefinably, not based on simultaneously connection, I want to disable it
    > for the local user period
    >
    > "Tim Hines [MSFT]" <timhines@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > See the policy info listed below
    > >
    > > Restrict CD-ROM access to locally logged-on user only
    > > Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local
    > > Policies\Security Options
    > >
    > > Description
    > > Determines whether a CD-ROM is accessible to both local and remote users
    > > simultaneously.
    > >
    > > If enabled, this policy allows only the interactively logged-on user to
    > > access removable CD-ROM media. If no one is logged on interactively, the
    > > CD-ROM may be shared over the network.
    > >
    > > If this policy is disabled, then the local user and remote users can
    > access
    > > the CD-ROM simultaneously.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Tim Hines, MCSE, MCSA
    > > Windows 2000 Directory Services

    > > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via
    > > your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit
    > > from your issue.
    > rights.
    > >
    > > "Jeff Mackeny" <me@me.com> wrote in message
    > > > Looking for a policy that will prevent access to the CD and Floppy
    > > > regardless what the drive letter is, in other words "Restrict CD-Rom
    > > access"
    > > > and not Restrict 'D' drive.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks

    Hard to believe that Microsoft's so called 'powerful' Group Policy doesn't
    offer this.

Policy Floppy Disk CD-Rom Windows