Office 2003 Installer Package Problems

Hi guys,

I searched thru this NG, but I didn't find anything comparable to this
problem.

Our network consists of a Windows 2000 domain and Windows XP clients. We
have Office XP Pro running on the destkops.

At the moment I'm trying to upgrade our Office XP suite to Office 2003 Pro.
To deploy the software, I've defined an Installer Package within a Group
Policy Object, linked to a test OU with a couple of computers in it..

The computers within that OU apparently pick up the package, since after a
reboot, they display the message "Installing managed software Office
Professional edition 2003" for some time, before the logon dialog box comes
up.

However, I see no sign of Office 2003 after logging on. Office XP is not
upgraded, nothing shows in the start menu and there are no software to be
installed under Add or Remove Programs > Add a New Program.

The strangest part is that when I launch Outlook XP (I haven't tried another
Office app) it asks for the *Office XP* CD key, after which it just goes
back to its old self, without attempting to upgrade.

Anybody have an idea what the heck is going on here?

Thanks,

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

From what it sounds like, you didn't mention using a MST
file to customize the installation, so it *should ask you
for the cd-key. You can specify the product code by
using the custom installation wizard and complete a bunch
of options that you'd include (such as remove old
versions of word, excel, powerpoint, etc.)

Just an idea

Ken

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the reply.

I fully expected it to ask for the CD key. But it's asking for the wrong
one!!!

What I have installed is Office XP pro. What I'm trying to upgrade to is
Office 2003 Pro. The package contains Office 2003 installation files. It is
assigned to every computer within my test OU. The problem is, when I launch
any of the Office apps after a reboot, it prompts me for the Office XP CD
key, instead of the Office 2003 one. And then nothing happens. No upgrade or
installation takes place!!! See what I mean?

Very strange!!!

And BTW, how do you create an MST file?

Thanks much,

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

Wow...that's kinda weird. I don't see why it would ask
for an 'old' product key.

You'd create the MST (transform) file with the custom
installation wizard. You can find the custom
installation wizard on the Office Resource Kit section of
microsoft.com @
http://www.microsoft.com/office/ork/2003/tools/default.htm

Good luck!

Ken

Thanks Ken,

I did create the .MST file but it doesn't allow me to add modifications to
the package during or after its creation. In under the Modification tab, in
the package properties, everything is greyed out and it doesn't allow me to
add or select an MST.

Am I missing anything?