  • Games
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
July 7, 2004 5:09:20 AM

I intend to play NWN as a mage.

Is it possible for me to finish the game with Linu La'Neral or Sherwyn as my
henchman?

What do you think?

DH

More about : advice henchman choose

Anonymous
July 7, 2004 5:09:21 AM

I played Wizard and had Linu as my henchman for most of the time and it
worked out fine. Can't remember whether I finished with her or took Daelan
for the endgame

Hugh

"Cool Hand" <fake@mail.com> wrote in message
> I intend to play NWN as a mage.
>
> Is it possible for me to finish the game with Linu La'Neral or Sherwyn as
my
> henchman?
>
> What do you think?
>
> DH

Anonymous
July 7, 2004 5:09:21 AM

"Cool Hand" <fake@mail.com> wrote in message news:<ccfb2d$j05$1@news.tdcnorge.no>...
> I intend to play NWN as a mage.
>
> Is it possible for me to finish the game with Linu La'Neral or Sherwyn as my
> henchman?
>
> What do you think?

Linu should work pretty well. Sherwyn is more of a support character
so won't be the best tank for a mage.

Warren
July 7, 2004 5:40:32 AM

Well, personally, whenever I'm a mage, I just take the brute force guy, and
that would be Daelen here. I guess depending on how you plan to make your
character, you could finish the game with Linu or Sherwyn, but I'd
personally never even bother. =\

"Cool Hand" <fake@mail.com> wrote in message
> I intend to play NWN as a mage.
>
> Is it possible for me to finish the game with Linu La'Neral or Sherwyn as
my
> henchman?
>
> What do you think?
>
> DH

Anonymous
July 7, 2004 11:22:35 AM

"Cool Hand" <fake@mail.com> wrote in message
> I intend to play NWN as a mage.
>
> Is it possible for me to finish the game with Linu La'Neral or Sherwyn as
my
> henchman?
>
> What do you think?
>
> DH

You don't have to stick to one henchman all the time. Personally, I go
around with either Tomi, Sharwyn or Daelan, depending on the situation. If
things get difficult just tune down the difficulty.
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 11:22:36 AM

"Mill Fetter" <lvl10monk@nwn.com> wrote in message
> "Cool Hand" <fake@mail.com> wrote in message
> > I intend to play NWN as a mage.
> >
> > Is it possible for me to finish the game with Linu La'Neral or Sherwyn
as
> my
> > henchman?
> >
> > What do you think?
> >
> > DH
>
> You don't have to stick to one henchman all the time. Personally, I go
> around with either Tomi, Sharwyn or Daelan, depending on the situation.
If
> things get difficult just tune down the difficulty.

*groan*
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 11:22:37 AM

"Insane Ranter" <spam@not.me> wrote in message

> "Mill Fetter" <lvl10monk@nwn.com> wrote in message
> > "Cool Hand" <fake@mail.com> wrote in message
> > > I intend to play NWN as a mage.
> > >
> > > Is it possible for me to finish the game with Linu La'Neral or Sherwyn
> as
> > my
> > > henchman?
> > >
> > > What do you think?
> > >
> > > DH
> >
> > You don't have to stick to one henchman all the time. Personally, I go
> > around with either Tomi, Sharwyn or Daelan, depending on the situation.
> If
> > things get difficult just tune down the difficulty.
> >

> *groan*

Ok. Why "groan"?

Windigo
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 1:54:03 PM

"Windigo" <windigo(a)@paganplanet.com> wrote in message

> "Insane Ranter" <spam@not.me> wrote in message
> >
> > "Mill Fetter" <lvl10monk@nwn.com> wrote in message
> > > "Cool Hand" <fake@mail.com> wrote in message

Sherwyn
> > as
> > > my

> > > You don't have to stick to one henchman all the time. Personally, I go
> > > around with either Tomi, Sharwyn or Daelan, depending on the
situation.
> > If
> > > things get difficult just tune down the difficulty.
> > >

> > *groan*
> >

> Ok. Why "groan"?

personal preference to tune the difficulty down when it gets "difficult".
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 4:42:09 PM

> "Windigo" <windigo(a)@paganplanet.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Insane Ranter" <spam@not.me> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Mill Fetter" <lvl10monk@nwn.com> wrote in message

> Sherwyn
> > > as

> situation.
> > > If
> > > >

> > > *groan*
> > >

> > Ok. Why "groan"?
> >

> personal preference to tune the difficulty down when it gets "difficult".

I don't know about anyone else but I play to have fun. There are days when
repeated dying just isn't in my concept of enjoyment. Hence, I sometimes
turn the difficulty level down. Like you said, it's a personal preference.
Nothing to groan about. Now, hard core rules with limited resting, that's
something to groan about. ;-)

Windigo
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 7:12:41 PM

> "Insane Ranter" <spam@not.me> wrote in message
> >
> > "Windigo" <windigo(a)@paganplanet.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Insane Ranter" <spam@not.me> wrote in message

> > Sherwyn

> go
> > situation.

> > > Ok. Why "groan"?
> > >

> > personal preference to tune the difficulty down when it gets
"difficult".

> I don't know about anyone else but I play to have fun. There are days
when
> repeated dying just isn't in my concept of enjoyment. Hence, I sometimes
> turn the difficulty level down. Like you said, it's a personal
preference.
> Nothing to groan about. Now, hard core rules with limited resting, that's
> something to groan about. ;-)

I like the hardness!!! Bring it on!!! Death is just another path we all must
take!
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 7:12:42 PM

> "Windigo" <windigo(a)@paganplanet.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Nothing to groan about. Now, hard core rules with limited resting,
that's
> > something to groan about. ;-)
>
> I like the hardness!!! Bring it on!!! Death is just another path we all
must
> take!

Great! You take point.

Windigo
July 8, 2004 1:08:37 AM

I'm versatile this way. Sometimes I like a little challenge. And other times
I just want to cut through enemies without any effort. But never do I want
to get frustrated, which sometimes can happen with games that are difficult
for the wrong reasons (some idiotically small detail that makes you do and
redo the same thing over and over again...) NWN however shines in this
department. When ever you encounter an extremely difficult situation it
always stays interesting. You never loose a battle because you "missed some
one pixel sized target", it's always something more complicated. And there's
almost always more then one strategy you can try against on opponent.

> I don't know about anyone else but I play to have fun. There are days
when
> repeated dying just isn't in my concept of enjoyment. Hence, I sometimes
> turn the difficulty level down. Like you said, it's a personal
preference.
> Nothing to groan about. Now, hard core rules with limited resting, that's
> something to groan about. ;-)
>

> Windigo

Anonymous
July 8, 2004 3:10:12 AM

> "Insane Ranter" <spam@not.me> wrote in message
> >
> > "Windigo" <windigo(a)@paganplanet.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Nothing to groan about. Now, hard core rules with limited resting,
> that's
> > > something to groan about. ;-)
> >
> > I like the hardness!!! Bring it on!!! Death is just another path we all
> must
> > take!
> >

> Great! You take point.

Ok. if me Dwarven Defender/Fighter/Rogue is up front...Lets go!
Anonymous
July 10, 2004 10:42:04 PM

Cool Hand wrote:
> I intend to play NWN as a mage.
>
> Is it possible for me to finish the game with Linu La'Neral or Sherwyn as my
> henchman?

I don't think Sharwyn is a good choice. She's not a very good fighter,
and her spellcasting won't be very useful, compared to that of your wizard.

Linu, on the other hand, would be an excellent choice. Clerics are
capable in combat, and you'll be facing a lot of undead and the like.

I played through the NWN OC with a wizard, Linu as my henchman, and a
pixie familiar. With the best available summoned creature to serve as a
tank, I had a "balanced" party throughout the campaign.
Anonymous
July 11, 2004 3:10:10 PM

Thanx, I started playing now with Linu, and I use a pixie because of the
thieveing skills.

DH

"Brian G. Vaughan" <foolishowl_hates_spam@peoplepc.com> wrote in message
> Cool Hand wrote:
> > I intend to play NWN as a mage.
> >
> > Is it possible for me to finish the game with Linu La'Neral or Sherwyn
as my
> > henchman?
>
> I don't think Sharwyn is a good choice. She's not a very good fighter,
> and her spellcasting won't be very useful, compared to that of your
wizard.

> Linu, on the other hand, would be an excellent choice. Clerics are
> capable in combat, and you'll be facing a lot of undead and the like.
>
> I played through the NWN OC with a wizard, Linu as my henchman, and a
> pixie familiar. With the best available summoned creature to serve as a
> tank, I had a "balanced" party throughout the campaign.
Anonymous
July 31, 2004 3:42:42 PM

I like Linu - she's pretty powerful at higher levels, especially as a
healer.

Best wishes
Maxon

"Mill Fetter" <lvl10monk@nwn.com> wrote in message
> "Cool Hand" <fake@mail.com> wrote in message
> > I intend to play NWN as a mage.
> >
> > Is it possible for me to finish the game with Linu La'Neral or Sherwyn
as
> my
> > henchman?
> >
> > What do you think?
> >
> > DH
>
> You don't have to stick to one henchman all the time. Personally, I go
> around with either Tomi, Sharwyn or Daelan, depending on the situation.
If
> things get difficult just tune down the difficulty.

Anonymous
August 2, 2004 3:00:55 PM

"Cool Hand" <fake@mail.com> wrote in message
> I intend to play NWN as a mage.
>
> Is it possible for me to finish the game with Linu La'Neral or Sherwyn as
my
> henchman?
>
> What do you think?

I'm playing as a mage, and I can say that Sharwyn definitely didn't cut it
for me for the little time I used her. Her spells are almost pointless, and
she was dead before anything happened, and her attacks weren't very powerful
either. I didn't use Linu, but I suppose a cleric is a decent fighter and of
course a good healer. I like Daelan, since he can get in there and fight,
and easily break chests and doors as well. I have the panther as my
familiar, so a lot of the time I don't even need to join the fight, which
seems appropriate for a mage. :)
Anonymous
August 2, 2004 4:35:28 PM

"John Salerno" <johnjsal@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message

> I'm playing as a mage, and I can say that Sharwyn definitely didn't cut it
> for me for the little time I used her. Her spells are almost pointless,
and
> she was dead before anything happened, and her attacks weren't very
powerful
> either. I didn't use Linu, but I suppose a cleric is a decent fighter and
of
> course a good healer. I like Daelan, since he can get in there and fight,
> and easily break chests and doors as well. I have the panther as my
> familiar, so a lot of the time I don't even need to join the fight, which
> seems appropriate for a mage. :)

As an old time PnP player, the concept of allowing a familiar to fight is
still scary. Under the old rules you not only took heavy damage if your
familiar was killed, you couldn't summon another one for months in game
time.

Windigo
Anonymous
August 3, 2004 12:24:42 AM

> As an old time PnP player, the concept of allowing a familiar to fight is
> still scary. Under the old rules you not only took heavy damage if your
> familiar was killed, you couldn't summon another one for months in game
> time.

Ouch. Luckily it's not like that anymore! :)
Anonymous
August 3, 2004 2:05:07 AM

> > As an old time PnP player, the concept of allowing a familiar to fight
is
> > still scary. Under the old rules you not only took heavy damage if your
> > familiar was killed, you couldn't summon another one for months in game
> > time.
>
> Ouch. Luckily it's not like that anymore! :)

it is like that in pnp.....just not the stadard NWN way
Anonymous
August 3, 2004 5:32:21 AM

John Salerno wrote:

>>As an old time PnP player, the concept of allowing a familiar to fight is
>>still scary. Under the old rules you not only took heavy damage if your
>>familiar was killed, you couldn't summon another one for months in game
>>time.
>

> Ouch. Luckily it's not like that anymore! :)

Actually, it is in the standard D&D rules. NWN does not implement those
rules fully.

--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications

"Barry Scott Will" <nwn_usenet@cavecreations.net> wrote in message
> John Salerno wrote:
>
> >>As an old time PnP player, the concept of allowing a familiar to fight
is
> >>still scary. Under the old rules you not only took heavy damage if your
> >>familiar was killed, you couldn't summon another one for months in game
> >>time.
> >

> > Ouch. Luckily it's not like that anymore! :)
> >

> Actually, it is in the standard D&D rules. NWN does not implement those
> rules fully.

Hmmm, I hadn't come across that in the PHB. That's a nasty rule!
Anonymous
August 3, 2004 10:08:45 AM

John Salerno wrote:

> "Barry Scott Will" <nwn_usenet@cavecreations.net> wrote in message

> is

>>>Ouch. Luckily it's not like that anymore! :)
>>>

>>Actually, it is in the standard D&D rules. NWN does not implement those
>>rules fully.
>

> Hmmm, I hadn't come across that in the PHB. That's a nasty rule!

Remember, in P&P an arcane spellcaster is supposed to be very attached
to his/her familiar--not to use it to spring traps.
!