Need advice in which henchman to choose

I intend to play NWN as a mage.

Is it possible for me to finish the game with Linu La'Neral or Sherwyn as my
henchman?

What do you think?

DH
22 answers Last reply
More about need advice henchman choose

    I played Wizard and had Linu as my henchman for most of the time and it
    worked out fine. Can't remember whether I finished with her or took Daelan
    for the endgame

    Hugh

    "Cool Hand" <fake@mail.com> wrote in message
    > I intend to play NWN as a mage.
    >
    > Is it possible for me to finish the game with Linu La'Neral or Sherwyn as
    my
    > henchman?
    >
    > What do you think?
    >
    > DH

    "Cool Hand" <fake@mail.com> wrote in message news:<ccfb2d$j05$1@news.tdcnorge.no>...
    > I intend to play NWN as a mage.
    >
    > Is it possible for me to finish the game with Linu La'Neral or Sherwyn as my
    > henchman?
    >
    > What do you think?

    Linu should work pretty well. Sherwyn is more of a support character
    so won't be the best tank for a mage.

    Warren

    Well, personally, whenever I'm a mage, I just take the brute force guy, and
    that would be Daelen here. I guess depending on how you plan to make your
    character, you could finish the game with Linu or Sherwyn, but I'd
    personally never even bother. =\

    "Cool Hand" <fake@mail.com> wrote in message
    > I intend to play NWN as a mage.
    >
    > Is it possible for me to finish the game with Linu La'Neral or Sherwyn as
    my
    > henchman?
    >
    > What do you think?
    >
    > DH

  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    "Cool Hand" <fake@mail.com> wrote in message
    > I intend to play NWN as a mage.
    >
    > Is it possible for me to finish the game with Linu La'Neral or Sherwyn as
    my
    > henchman?
    >
    > What do you think?
    >
    > DH

    You don't have to stick to one henchman all the time. Personally, I go
    around with either Tomi, Sharwyn or Daelan, depending on the situation. If
    things get difficult just tune down the difficulty.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    "Mill Fetter" <lvl10monk@nwn.com> wrote in message
    > "Cool Hand" <fake@mail.com> wrote in message
    > > I intend to play NWN as a mage.
    > >
    > > Is it possible for me to finish the game with Linu La'Neral or Sherwyn
    as
    > my
    > > henchman?
    > >
    > > What do you think?
    > >
    > > DH
    >
    > You don't have to stick to one henchman all the time. Personally, I go
    > around with either Tomi, Sharwyn or Daelan, depending on the situation.
    If
    > things get difficult just tune down the difficulty.

    *groan*
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    "Insane Ranter" <spam@not.me> wrote in message

    > "Mill Fetter" <lvl10monk@nwn.com> wrote in message
    > > "Cool Hand" <fake@mail.com> wrote in message
    > > > I intend to play NWN as a mage.
    > > >
    > > > Is it possible for me to finish the game with Linu La'Neral or Sherwyn
    > as
    > > my
    > > > henchman?
    > > >
    > > > What do you think?
    > > >
    > > > DH
    > >
    > > You don't have to stick to one henchman all the time. Personally, I go
    > > around with either Tomi, Sharwyn or Daelan, depending on the situation.
    > If
    > > things get difficult just tune down the difficulty.
    > >

    > *groan*

    Ok. Why "groan"?

    Windigo
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    "Windigo" <windigo(a)@paganplanet.com> wrote in message

    > "Insane Ranter" <spam@not.me> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Mill Fetter" <lvl10monk@nwn.com> wrote in message
    > > > "Cool Hand" <fake@mail.com> wrote in message

    Sherwyn
    > > as
    > > > my

    > > > You don't have to stick to one henchman all the time. Personally, I go
    > > > around with either Tomi, Sharwyn or Daelan, depending on the
    situation.
    > > If
    > > > things get difficult just tune down the difficulty.
    > > >

    > > *groan*
    > >

    > Ok. Why "groan"?

    personal preference to tune the difficulty down when it gets "difficult".
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    > "Windigo" <windigo(a)@paganplanet.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Insane Ranter" <spam@not.me> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Mill Fetter" <lvl10monk@nwn.com> wrote in message

    > Sherwyn
    > > > as

    > situation.
    > > > If
    > > > >

    > > > *groan*
    > > >

    > > Ok. Why "groan"?
    > >

    > personal preference to tune the difficulty down when it gets "difficult".

    I don't know about anyone else but I play to have fun. There are days when
    repeated dying just isn't in my concept of enjoyment. Hence, I sometimes
    turn the difficulty level down. Like you said, it's a personal preference.
    Nothing to groan about. Now, hard core rules with limited resting, that's
    something to groan about. ;-)

    Windigo
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    > "Insane Ranter" <spam@not.me> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Windigo" <windigo(a)@paganplanet.com> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Insane Ranter" <spam@not.me> wrote in message

    > > Sherwyn

    > go
    > > situation.

    > > > Ok. Why "groan"?
    > > >

    > > personal preference to tune the difficulty down when it gets
    "difficult".

    > I don't know about anyone else but I play to have fun. There are days
    when
    > repeated dying just isn't in my concept of enjoyment. Hence, I sometimes
    > turn the difficulty level down. Like you said, it's a personal
    preference.
    > Nothing to groan about. Now, hard core rules with limited resting, that's
    > something to groan about. ;-)

    I like the hardness!!! Bring it on!!! Death is just another path we all must
    take!
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    > "Windigo" <windigo(a)@paganplanet.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Nothing to groan about. Now, hard core rules with limited resting,
    that's
    > > something to groan about. ;-)
    >
    > I like the hardness!!! Bring it on!!! Death is just another path we all
    must
    > take!

    Great! You take point.

    Windigo
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    I'm versatile this way. Sometimes I like a little challenge. And other times
    I just want to cut through enemies without any effort. But never do I want
    to get frustrated, which sometimes can happen with games that are difficult
    for the wrong reasons (some idiotically small detail that makes you do and
    redo the same thing over and over again...) NWN however shines in this
    department. When ever you encounter an extremely difficult situation it
    always stays interesting. You never loose a battle because you "missed some
    one pixel sized target", it's always something more complicated. And there's
    almost always more then one strategy you can try against on opponent.

    > I don't know about anyone else but I play to have fun. There are days
    when
    > repeated dying just isn't in my concept of enjoyment. Hence, I sometimes
    > turn the difficulty level down. Like you said, it's a personal
    preference.
    > Nothing to groan about. Now, hard core rules with limited resting, that's
    > something to groan about. ;-)
    >

    > Windigo

  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    > "Insane Ranter" <spam@not.me> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Windigo" <windigo(a)@paganplanet.com> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > Nothing to groan about. Now, hard core rules with limited resting,
    > that's
    > > > something to groan about. ;-)
    > >
    > > I like the hardness!!! Bring it on!!! Death is just another path we all
    > must
    > > take!
    > >

    > Great! You take point.

    Ok. if me Dwarven Defender/Fighter/Rogue is up front...Lets go!
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Cool Hand wrote:
    > I intend to play NWN as a mage.
    >
    > Is it possible for me to finish the game with Linu La'Neral or Sherwyn as my
    > henchman?

    I don't think Sharwyn is a good choice. She's not a very good fighter,
    and her spellcasting won't be very useful, compared to that of your wizard.

    Linu, on the other hand, would be an excellent choice. Clerics are
    capable in combat, and you'll be facing a lot of undead and the like.

    I played through the NWN OC with a wizard, Linu as my henchman, and a
    pixie familiar. With the best available summoned creature to serve as a
    tank, I had a "balanced" party throughout the campaign.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Thanx, I started playing now with Linu, and I use a pixie because of the
    thieveing skills.

    DH

    "Brian G. Vaughan" <foolishowl_hates_spam@peoplepc.com> wrote in message
    > Cool Hand wrote:
    > > I intend to play NWN as a mage.
    > >
    > > Is it possible for me to finish the game with Linu La'Neral or Sherwyn
    as my
    > > henchman?
    >
    > I don't think Sharwyn is a good choice. She's not a very good fighter,
    > and her spellcasting won't be very useful, compared to that of your
    wizard.

    > Linu, on the other hand, would be an excellent choice. Clerics are
    > capable in combat, and you'll be facing a lot of undead and the like.
    >
    > I played through the NWN OC with a wizard, Linu as my henchman, and a
    > pixie familiar. With the best available summoned creature to serve as a
    > tank, I had a "balanced" party throughout the campaign.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    I like Linu - she's pretty powerful at higher levels, especially as a
    healer.

    Best wishes
    Maxon

    "Mill Fetter" <lvl10monk@nwn.com> wrote in message
    > "Cool Hand" <fake@mail.com> wrote in message
    > > I intend to play NWN as a mage.
    > >
    > > Is it possible for me to finish the game with Linu La'Neral or Sherwyn
    as
    > my
    > > henchman?
    > >
    > > What do you think?
    > >
    > > DH
    >
    > You don't have to stick to one henchman all the time. Personally, I go
    > around with either Tomi, Sharwyn or Daelan, depending on the situation.
    If
    > things get difficult just tune down the difficulty.

  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    "Cool Hand" <fake@mail.com> wrote in message
    > I intend to play NWN as a mage.
    >
    > Is it possible for me to finish the game with Linu La'Neral or Sherwyn as
    my
    > henchman?
    >
    > What do you think?

    I'm playing as a mage, and I can say that Sharwyn definitely didn't cut it
    for me for the little time I used her. Her spells are almost pointless, and
    she was dead before anything happened, and her attacks weren't very powerful
    either. I didn't use Linu, but I suppose a cleric is a decent fighter and of
    course a good healer. I like Daelan, since he can get in there and fight,
    and easily break chests and doors as well. I have the panther as my
    familiar, so a lot of the time I don't even need to join the fight, which
    seems appropriate for a mage. :)
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    "John Salerno" <johnjsal@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message

    > I'm playing as a mage, and I can say that Sharwyn definitely didn't cut it
    > for me for the little time I used her. Her spells are almost pointless,
    and
    > she was dead before anything happened, and her attacks weren't very
    powerful
    > either. I didn't use Linu, but I suppose a cleric is a decent fighter and
    of
    > course a good healer. I like Daelan, since he can get in there and fight,
    > and easily break chests and doors as well. I have the panther as my
    > familiar, so a lot of the time I don't even need to join the fight, which
    > seems appropriate for a mage. :)

    As an old time PnP player, the concept of allowing a familiar to fight is
    still scary. Under the old rules you not only took heavy damage if your
    familiar was killed, you couldn't summon another one for months in game
    time.

    Windigo
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    > As an old time PnP player, the concept of allowing a familiar to fight is
    > still scary. Under the old rules you not only took heavy damage if your
    > familiar was killed, you couldn't summon another one for months in game
    > time.

    Ouch. Luckily it's not like that anymore! :)
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    > > As an old time PnP player, the concept of allowing a familiar to fight
    is
    > > still scary. Under the old rules you not only took heavy damage if your
    > > familiar was killed, you couldn't summon another one for months in game
    > > time.
    >
    > Ouch. Luckily it's not like that anymore! :)

    it is like that in pnp.....just not the stadard NWN way
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    John Salerno wrote:

    >>As an old time PnP player, the concept of allowing a familiar to fight is
    >>still scary. Under the old rules you not only took heavy damage if your
    >>familiar was killed, you couldn't summon another one for months in game
    >>time.
    >

    > Ouch. Luckily it's not like that anymore! :)

    Actually, it is in the standard D&D rules. NWN does not implement those
    rules fully.

    --
    Barry Scott Will
    Pyric RPG Publications

    "Barry Scott Will" <nwn_usenet@cavecreations.net> wrote in message
    > John Salerno wrote:
    >
    > >>As an old time PnP player, the concept of allowing a familiar to fight
    is
    > >>still scary. Under the old rules you not only took heavy damage if your
    > >>familiar was killed, you couldn't summon another one for months in game
    > >>time.
    > >

    > > Ouch. Luckily it's not like that anymore! :)
    > >

    > Actually, it is in the standard D&D rules. NWN does not implement those
    > rules fully.

    Hmmm, I hadn't come across that in the PHB. That's a nasty rule!
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    John Salerno wrote:

    > "Barry Scott Will" <nwn_usenet@cavecreations.net> wrote in message

    > is

    >>>Ouch. Luckily it's not like that anymore! :)
    >>>

    >>Actually, it is in the standard D&D rules. NWN does not implement those
    >>rules fully.
    >

    > Hmmm, I hadn't come across that in the PHB. That's a nasty rule!

    Remember, in P&P an arcane spellcaster is supposed to be very attached
    to his/her familiar--not to use it to spring traps.

Games Video Games