Someway to automate the process?

I manage a small office network of about 15 stations.

How can I setup so when a new user, when first logging into a computer,
automatically map the network drives, printers and other settings into his
login?

These mapped network drives are the same for every one. Also the printers.

Is there someway to automate the process? So I don't have to manually do it
every time I add a user?

Am on a WIN2K Pro server and a mix of win2k/winxp desktops.

--

:: Young Admin AtreyuLohan ::
4 answers Last reply

    I know that for drive mappings, you could use a login
    script--that's what's used where I work. It also keeps
    the user's computer up to date, in case their data is
    moved from one server to another, we can seamlessly
    change the mapping, and the user would not notice it.

    I'm sure there's got to be a way to put printer mapping
    into a login script, but the only thing I can think of is
    to use "net use", but it doesn't behave the way I'd want
    it to.

    Good luck

    Ken

    This will add printers at login. Just drop it in a batch file.

    rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /in /n \\computer\printer

    "::YoungAdmin::" <ljorge@icnships.com> wrote in message
    > I manage a small office network of about 15 stations.
    >

    > How can I setup so when a new user, when first logging into a computer,
    > automatically map the network drives, printers and other settings into his
    > login?
    >

    > These mapped network drives are the same for every one. Also the printers.
    >

    > Is there someway to automate the process? So I don't have to manually do
    it
    > every time I add a user?
    >

    > Am on a WIN2K Pro server and a mix of win2k/winxp desktops.
    >

    > --
    >

    > :: Young Admin AtreyuLohan ::

    KIXTART scripting is a great way to do all of this. It is available from
    http://www.kixtart.org/ , its free and it is used extensively by windows
    admins for logon script processing. There are many sites out there with Kix
    script examples on doing all of this.

    "Ken" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I know that for drive mappings, you could use a login
    > script--that's what's used where I work. It also keeps
    > the user's computer up to date, in case their data is
    > moved from one server to another, we can seamlessly
    > change the mapping, and the user would not notice it.
    >
    > I'm sure there's got to be a way to put printer mapping
    > into a login script, but the only thing I can think of is
    > to use "net use", but it doesn't behave the way I'd want
    > it to.
    >
    > Good luck
    >
    > Ken

    YoungAdmin,

    You could do all of this with a .vbs logon script. You could even make it a
    Group Policy. There are many examples of this.

    HTH,

    Cary

    "::YoungAdmin::" <ljorge@icnships.com> wrote in message
    > I manage a small office network of about 15 stations.
    >

    > How can I setup so when a new user, when first logging into a computer,
    > automatically map the network drives, printers and other settings into his
    > login?
    >

    > These mapped network drives are the same for every one. Also the printers.
    >

    > Is there someway to automate the process? So I don't have to manually do
    it
    > every time I add a user?
    >

    > Am on a WIN2K Pro server and a mix of win2k/winxp desktops.
    >

    > --
    >

    > :: Young Admin AtreyuLohan ::

Printers Windows