Password Complexity / User Settings

Two part question.

First when implementing complex passwords. Can I make it as such that when I create a new user or reset a users password it can be simple?

Secondly I'm having the problem of users in an OU receiving computer settings succesfully but not a user setting in which their cache size is set to a specific value. When I use psexec \\machinename -c gpresult /S > output.txt it only shows computer settings and not the user settings that should be taking place. Even on machines where the user settings were applied successfully the user settings won't report back to me using gpresult. I've also copied and ran gpresult locally on the machine that has successfully received the user settings but they do not show up using gpresult.

There is only one password policy per domain. It applies to all users in
the domain.

All policy settings are not reported in gpresult. It does report some user
settings and some computer settings. If you are running XP or 2003 you may
want to consider running rsop.msc. Here are a few links on it.

312321 How to Use Resultant Set of Policy Logging to Gather Computer Policy
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=312321

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/datacenter/proddocs/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/datacenter/proddocs/en-us/RSP_When.asp

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/rspoverview.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/datacenter/proddocs/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/datacenter/proddocs/en-us/RSPht8.asp

--
Tim Hines, MCSE, MCSA
Windows 2000 Directory Services

from your issue.
"Robert Gowdey" <Robert Gowdey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Two part question.
>
> First when implementing complex passwords. Can I make it as such that
when I create a new user or reset a users password it can be simple?

> Secondly I'm having the problem of users in an OU receiving computer
settings succesfully but not a user setting in which their cache size is set
to a specific value. When I use psexec \\machinename -c gpresult /S >
output.txt it only shows computer settings and not the user settings that
should be taking place. Even on machines where the user settings were
applied successfully the user settings won't report back to me using
gpresult. I've also copied and ran gpresult locally on the machine that has
successfully received the user settings but they do not show up using
gpresult.

The clients are Windows 2000 Professional so I have to use gpresult. The computer settings show up just fine, but not the user settings. I get the following when doing a gpresult /S /U

"Failed to open key with 2"