Looking to purchase a managed gigabit switch.

marlon71usa

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
Hello,

I'm new to this forum. I was looking for a bit of advice.

I'm looking to purchase a 16port 10/100/1000 web managed switch for my apartment building. I've been doing a bit of research, yet can't really make a firm decision. I'm looking to spend no more than $500 if possible.

One important feature I'm looking for besides web management it web site logging. I'm looking to keep a few tabs on the sites that my teenage son visits. It can tell me what pc or ip address visited what site and when.

Any help and suggestions will be well appreciated.

Thanx...

fredweston

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
As for the switch, finding a 16 port web managed switch isn't hard. Netgear and Linksys both have them for about $300-350. Linksys' model is called SRW2016.

As for the logging you speak of, you should be looking at routers. Get a router that supports those features and then put that between your Internet modem and your new switch. I don't think any switches are designed to do NAT, but then again I've never looked for one so I could be wrong. You might be able to find a combo router/16-port gigabit switch but I doubt it. Most routers have 4 ports, and I've seen some business routers that have 8. If you do find a 16-port, chances are that it'd be so much more expensive than buying the components separately that it would negate the whole point of having one to begin with.

jjw

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
If you want to keep tabs on someone... I think the feature you may be interested in is port duplication (I think) This would mirror all traffic on a specified port, you could then log that traffic.

Otherwise, you can monitor router traffic, mentioned above.

El0him

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Put together a linux firewall, squid, and dansguardian box. With this combination, you can do web content filtering, access control and stateful firewall security.

Port mirroring is not a practical application for your purpose based on the questions you are asking.

El0him

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
I've been told I need to recognize the level of knowledge my audience has before I speak.

questions you are asking.

I was correcting jjw. But based on the questions, setting up an advanced Linux server isn't a viable solution either. : - P