SUS Group Policy Help???

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
June 28, 2004 12:01:01 PM

I am trying to implement a group policy for SUS and am running into problems. All of my clients are running Windows XP Pro SP 1. My plan was to implement a GP based on the machines (computers) rather then the users.

I created a new OU called SUS Group Policy Test. I have placed one test workstation and one test user in this OU. I created a new GP called SUS Group Policy and linked it to the new OU. In the security filtering section of the new GP I added the one test workstation I am using.

I have approved 4 SUS updates that this workstation needs. I can see that the GP is being applied but the updates are not installed.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what is wrong? Why are the updates not being installed?

I ran gpresult on the workstation and this is what it shows:
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\test>gpresult

Microsoft (R) Windows (R) XP Operating System Group Policy Result tool v2.0
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. 1981-2001

Created On 6/28/2004 at 10:45:16 AM

RSOP results for SWFLNT\test on SMCR2 : Logging Mode

OS Type: Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Configuration: Member Workstation
OS Version: 5.1.2600
Domain Name: SWFLNT
Domain Type: Windows 2000
Site Name: Default-First-Site-Name
Roaming Profile:
Local Profile: C:\Documents and Settings\test
Connected over a slow link?: No

COMPUTER SETTINGS
------------------
CN=smcr2,OU=SUS Group Policy Test,DC=swinc,DC=local
Last time Group Policy was applied: 6/28/2004 at 10:40:02 AM
Group Policy was applied from: swflnt2.swinc.local
Group Policy slow link threshold: 500 kbps

Applied Group Policy Objects
-----------------------------
SUS Group Policy
Default Domain Policy

The following GPOs were not applied because they were filtered out
SW Test GP
Filtering: Not Applied (Unknown Reason)

Local Group Policy
Filtering: Not Applied (Empty)

The computer is a part of the following security groups:
BUILTIN\Administrators
Everyone
BUILTIN\Users
SMCR2$
Domain Computers
NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK
NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users

USER SETTINGS
--------------
CN=test,OU=SUS Group Policy Test,DC=swinc,DC=local
Last time Group Policy was applied: 6/28/2004 at 10:43:55 AM
Group Policy was applied from: swflnt2.swinc.local
Group Policy slow link threshold: 500 kbps

Applied Group Policy Objects
-----------------------------

The following GPOs were not applied because they were filtered out
SUS Group Policy
Filtering: Not Applied (Unknown Reason)

Local Group Policy
Filtering: Not Applied (Empty)

The user is a part of the following security groups:
Domain Users
Everyone
BUILTIN\Users
LOCAL
NT AUTHORITY\INTERACTIVE
NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users

C:\Documents and Settings\test>

More about : sus group policy

Anonymous
June 30, 2004 4:20:42 PM

Sounds like the GPO is working fine and you need to troubleshoot on the SUS
server and workstation. There is a windows update.log file on the
workstation as well as event logs, and also IIS logs on the server to check.
Have you given it enough time? Usually when first implemented, SUS takes a
day or two before you start seeing activity on the workstation.

"Tim Anderson" <Tim Anderson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> Everyone
> BUILTIN\Users
> SMCR2$
> Domain Computers
> NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK
> NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users
>

> USER SETTINGS
> --------------
> CN=test,OU=SUS Group Policy Test,DC=swinc,DC=local
> Last time Group Policy was applied: 6/28/2004 at 10:43:55 AM
> Group Policy was applied from: swflnt2.swinc.local
> Group Policy slow link threshold: 500 kbps
>
> Applied Group Policy Objects
> -----------------------------
> Default Domain Policy
>
> The following GPOs were not applied because they were filtered out
> SUS Group Policy
> Filtering: Not Applied (Unknown Reason)
>
> Local Group Policy
> Filtering: Not Applied (Empty)
>
> The user is a part of the following security groups:

July 1, 2004 7:27:28 AM

check out susserver.com and use the tool: AUbehave. you
can see what the policy did. Further you can check the
registry onthe following settings:
-
Hkey_local_machine|software|policies|microsoft|windows|win
dows update and/ or AU. Check here the install times
(check "word" in the keys entries)

---
> BUILTIN\Administrators
> Everyone
> BUILTIN\Users
> SMCR2$
> Domain Computers
> NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK
> NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users
>

>USER SETTINGS
>--------------
> CN=test,OU=SUS Group Policy Test,DC=swinc,DC=local
> Last time Group Policy was applied: 6/28/2004 at
10:43:55 AM
> Group Policy was applied from:
swflnt2.swinc.local
> Group Policy slow link threshold: 500 kbps
>
> Applied Group Policy Objects
> -----------------------------
> Default Domain Policy
>
> The following GPOs were not applied because they
were filtered out
--------------
> SUS Group Policy
> Filtering: Not Applied (Unknown Reason)
>
> Local Group Policy
> Filtering: Not Applied (Empty)
>
> The user is a part of the following security groups:
> Domain Users
> Everyone
> BUILTIN\Users
> LOCAL
> NT AUTHORITY\INTERACTIVE
> NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users
>
>C:\Documents and Settings\test>
>

>.

Anonymous
July 14, 2004 11:46:29 AM

check out

http://kopbeen.europe.webmatrixhosting.net

for a commercial tool to force / check sus clients..... (At least you
will get support & updates if you're stuck)
!