Sign in with
Your question

Lol...sooo..I installed my Arctic Cooler Freezer 7 Pro today

Last response: in Overclocking
January 17, 2007 12:37:33 AM

I have one of those really great cases where both sides open up including the side the motherboard is mounted on. This makes it really easy to reconfigure stuff on the motherboard without all the cords being in the way. There is just one drawback...

So there I was installing an Arctic Cooler Freezer 7 Pro. The thing is really neat looking and had a square patch of neat thermal paste on the bottom. I took off my old heatsink without a problem and then cleaned my E6600 pretty easily. I had one of those alchohol pads that you would use just before giving a shot and that works awesome for getting up old goo. I set my Arctic Freezer in place using the opposite corners. I noticed it snapped in a lot easier than the stock cooler. I got the fan installed, hooked it into the CPU fan slot, and Wa-La, I was ready to roll!

So then I go to close the side panel with my motherboard on it and discovered that uh.....it wouldn't close because the metal part that holds the power supply was blocking it. DOH!

After messing with it for 10 minutes, I had to finally take the Arctic Pro off and retry it with the case on it's side (you know, like in the old days) :)  The big stinker about that is the thermal paste that comes with it kinda ripped apart, with some still on the CPU and some still on the heatsink, but not all nice and uniform like it was before. Thankfully I had some generic silver paste and put a small dab in the middle of my CPU. It's all the same crap anyway right... :) 

Well, I was able to get it reinstalled, but it still sucked. I think my temps are pretty good so far. Idle is showing 35-36C with my fan at 50%. I ran TAT 100% test for 5 mins and my temps stayed at 52C (fan goes on 100% at 51) so I think a few days for my 1/2 generic silver thermal paste and 1/2 arctic mx1 paste to mesh together and lower them even more. :o 

Just an FYI, make sure you have clearance if you install it with the side panel open.
January 17, 2007 1:23:00 AM

im not sure its a good idea to mix thermal pastes....but if your temps are low...thats what your aiming for i suppose.
January 17, 2007 8:53:56 PM

Quote:
... I think my temps are pretty good so far. Idle is showing 35-36C with my fan at 50%. I ran TAT 100% test for 5 mins and my temps stayed at 52C (fan goes on 100% at 51)....

Seems a bit high for a Freezer 7 Pro on a C2D. I wonder if maybe you don't have a small bubble or two (or just a thick layer of thermal paste) from not removing the old MX1 before you added the dab of silver paste.
My OC'd (3.7GHz) 805D w/Freezer 7 Pro puts out a lot more heat and varies from around 2C above ambient at idle to almost 30C above ambient under dual PRIME95. Unless your ambient or sys temps are in the 32-33C range, I would expect lower for a C2D.
Related resources
January 17, 2007 9:20:38 PM

Yeah those temps aren't bad, but something might not be exactly right. Probably won't be a problem unless you decide to OC.

I have almost those exact same temps on my AF7P E6400 @ 3.2Ghz
a c 107 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
January 17, 2007 9:23:26 PM

What are you running for your temps....
i suggest you get it here

RE-check your temps....if they are 52 @ full load...you are just fine.....
January 17, 2007 9:27:07 PM

Quote:
im not sure its a good idea to mix thermal pastes....but if your temps are low...thats what your aiming for i suppose.

Yeah, something tells me that it's not recommended best practice to mix thermal pastes. :D 
a c 107 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
January 17, 2007 10:18:55 PM

maybe it will become a Super Paste!!!
January 17, 2007 10:37:28 PM

Exactly! I'm hoping to be the first to discover that mixing silver pastes actually creates the ULTI-PASTE! :) 
January 18, 2007 10:15:50 PM

Quote:
Exactly! I'm hoping to be the first to discover that mixing silver pastes actually creates the ULTI-PASTE! :) 

If you come on here posting 12c temps I'll be like "hey, I was INVOLVED with creating this stuff! I remember back when it all started..." and try to use that as my claim to fame. ;) 
a c 107 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
January 20, 2007 6:11:56 PM

Quote:

Uber-Paste
!