Msconfig problem...

maybe

I was working on a friends computer and cleaned out some viruses and a whole
heap of malware/spyware.

There were some items in msconfig startup that I did not recognize and
turned them off. Yet when I rebooted they were all turned back on again. I
also got a message at boot that said something to the effect that my
configuration had changed, and I clicked on the OK button.

How do I get the things I have turned off to stay off?

I'm unsure as to why they'd turn back on if you unselected them. However, to
do a test, boot into Safe Mode With Networking Support and try scanning your
system again. Be careful in removing startup items, since as you pointed
out, you're unsure of which ones belong and which do not.

If you're positive that something's spyware or you read about it somewhere,
you can remove the registry key relating to that file while still in Safe
Mode. Most startup applications are stored in the registry under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.
To access it, click Start --> Run --> type in "regedit" (without the
quotations).

Just to be sure, save a backup copy of the Run section by clicking File
menu --> Export --> then save the selected branch someplace you'll remember
to look in case things go south.

Remember: the registry contains your system's vital info, so tread carefully
when deleting items in it.

Good luck. Post back if you run into any issues.

Michael Katz
[Microsoft MVP - MSN Client]
"There's no I in 'team' but there is 'me'"
http://msmvps.com/katz

This posting is provided 'AS IS' with no warranties, and confers no rights.

"Michael Katz [MVP]" <michaelk[at]mvps.org> wrote in message
> I'm unsure as to why they'd turn back on if you unselected them. However,
> do a test, boot into Safe Mode With Networking Support and try scanning
your
> system again. Be careful in removing startup items, since as you pointed
> out, you're unsure of which ones belong and which do not.
>
> If you're positive that something's spyware or you read about it
somewhere,
> you can remove the registry key relating to that file while still in Safe
> Mode. Most startup applications are stored in the registry under
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.
> To access it, click Start --> Run --> type in "regedit" (without the
> quotations).
>
> Just to be sure, save a backup copy of the Run section by clicking File
> menu --> Export --> then save the selected branch someplace you'll
remember
> to look in case things go south.
>
> Remember: the registry contains your system's vital info, so tread
carefully
> when deleting items in it.
>
> Good luck. Post back if you run into any issues.

> Michael Katz
> [Microsoft MVP - MSN Client]
> "There's no I in 'team' but there is 'me'"
> http://msmvps.com/katz
>
> This posting is provided 'AS IS' with no warranties, and confers no
rights.

> "If_Its_Junk" <If_Its_Junk at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
> > maybe
> >
> > I was working on a friends computer and cleaned out some viruses and a
> > whole
> > heap of malware/spyware.
> >
> > There were some items in msconfig startup that I did not recognize and
> > turned them off. Yet when I rebooted they were all turned back on again.
> > also got a message at boot that said something to the effect that my
> > configuration had changed, and I clicked on the OK button.
> >
> > How do I get the things I have turned off to stay off?

I will check the entries at http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php to see
what is safe to delete and follow your directions. It may be a few days
before I get back to his place to look at his computer again.

"If_Its_Junk" <If_Its_Junk at hotmail dot com> wrote:

>maybe
>
>I was working on a friends computer and cleaned out some viruses and a whole
>heap of malware/spyware.
>
>There were some items in msconfig startup that I did not recognize and
>turned them off. Yet when I rebooted they were all turned back on again. I
>also got a message at boot that said something to the effect that my
>configuration had changed, and I clicked on the OK button.
>
>How do I get the things I have turned off to stay off?

What are the specific items that keep coming back?

What programs did you use to detect and remove the spyware? No single
product gets them all, and you almost always need to run a combination
of several different programs to fully clean up a computer.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

> "If_Its_Junk" <If_Its_Junk at hotmail dot com> wrote:
>
> >maybe
> >
> >I was working on a friends computer and cleaned out some viruses and a
whole
> >heap of malware/spyware.
> >
> >There were some items in msconfig startup that I did not recognize and
> >turned them off. Yet when I rebooted they were all turned back on again.
> >also got a message at boot that said something to the effect that my
> >configuration had changed, and I clicked on the OK button.
> >
> >How do I get the things I have turned off to stay off?
> >

> What are the specific items that keep coming back?
>
> What programs did you use to detect and remove the spyware? No single
> product gets them all, and you almost always need to run a combination
> of several different programs to fully clean up a computer.
>
> Good luck
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

I used TrendMicro, Spybot S&D, Adaware, CA's firewall.

It took 2 hours for TM to run and it found and deleted 5 viruses, Spybot
found 93 on the first pass and 23 on the second pass (from Safe Mode)
Adaware found 210 problems. (my friend had absolutely no security so I was
surprised it wasn't worse)

Startup listed Kazaa, Gator, a couple of TFTP files, and some other stuff
that looked suspicious to me so I turned them off, but they showed up turned
on again after I rebooted.

I may have checked Normal Startup instead of Selective before I rebooted -
would that have turned everything back on again?

Nicholas

Distinguished
May 12, 2004

Ron Martell wrote:
> "If_Its_Junk" <If_Its_Junk at hotmail dot com> wrote:
>

>>maybe
>>
>>I was working on a friends computer and cleaned out some viruses and a whole
>>heap of malware/spyware.
>>
>>There were some items in msconfig startup that I did not recognize and
>>turned them off. Yet when I rebooted they were all turned back on again. I
>>also got a message at boot that said something to the effect that my
>>configuration had changed, and I clicked on the OK button.
>>
>>How do I get the things I have turned off to stay off?
>>

> What are the specific items that keep coming back?
>
> What programs did you use to detect and remove the spyware? No single
> product gets them all, and you almost always need to run a combination
> of several different programs to fully clean up a computer.
>
> Good luck
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

Did you turn of system restore?

--
Nicholas

Please reply to this newsgroup

Yes. You must remove the programs from the startup folder and from the
startup section of the registry. If you just want to test, use selective
startup.

> "Ron Martell" <ron.martell@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> "If_Its_Junk" <If_Its_Junk at hotmail dot com> wrote:
>>
>> >maybe
>> >
>> >I was working on a friends computer and cleaned out some viruses and a
> whole
>> >heap of malware/spyware.
>> >
>> >There were some items in msconfig startup that I did not recognize and
>> >turned them off. Yet when I rebooted they were all turned back on again.
>> >also got a message at boot that said something to the effect that my
>> >configuration had changed, and I clicked on the OK button.
>> >
>> >How do I get the things I have turned off to stay off?
>> >

>> What are the specific items that keep coming back?
>>
>> What programs did you use to detect and remove the spyware? No single
>> product gets them all, and you almost always need to run a combination
>> of several different programs to fully clean up a computer.
>>
>> Good luck
>>

>> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
>> --
>> Microsoft MVP
>> On-Line Help Computer Service
>> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
>>
>> "The reason computer chips are so small is computers don't eat much."
>
> I used TrendMicro, Spybot S&D, Adaware, CA's firewall.
>
> It took 2 hours for TM to run and it found and deleted 5 viruses, Spybot
> found 93 on the first pass and 23 on the second pass (from Safe Mode)
> Adaware found 210 problems. (my friend had absolutely no security so I was
> surprised it wasn't worse)
>
> Startup listed Kazaa, Gator, a couple of TFTP files, and some other stuff
> that looked suspicious to me so I turned them off, but they showed up
> turned
> on again after I rebooted.
>
> I may have checked Normal Startup instead of Selective before I rebooted -
> would that have turned everything back on again?

They will keep coming back till you remove the entree from the reg.

"nicholas" <nicholas@rapture.com> wrote in message
> Ron Martell wrote:
> > "If_Its_Junk" <If_Its_Junk at hotmail dot com> wrote:
> >

> >>maybe
> >>
> >>I was working on a friends computer and cleaned out some viruses and a
whole
> >>heap of malware/spyware.
> >>
> >>There were some items in msconfig startup that I did not recognize and
> >>turned them off. Yet when I rebooted they were all turned back on again.
> >>also got a message at boot that said something to the effect that my
> >>configuration had changed, and I clicked on the OK button.
> >>
> >>How do I get the things I have turned off to stay off?
> >>

> > What are the specific items that keep coming back?
> >
> > What programs did you use to detect and remove the spyware? No single
> > product gets them all, and you almost always need to run a combination
> > of several different programs to fully clean up a computer.
> >
> > Good luck
> >

> > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
>
> Did you turn of system restore?
>
> --