Sign in with
Your question

Deciding between AVs

Tags:
  • Security
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
July 3, 2011 6:54:31 AM

Firstly: Yes--I'm aware that there's not a single "best" AV out there. And I know that no AV will protect anyone 100% of the time.

Anyway, I am deciding on an AV for 64-bit Windows 7. Being young and addicted to the web, I'll admit I'm not the safest internet surfer/user, but at the same time I am not terribly gullible, so I won't go around clicking something that will likely harm my computer. I game from time to time, so I'd prefer something that's light on the system and don't that's not a huge resource hog (I hear Kaspersky is pretty heavy). However, I don't necessarily want to give up better security for size/weight of the AV.

Also, price isn't my primary concern (I'm willing to pay), although it'd be nice to opt for something cheaper.

Given that^^, here's my impression now on the AVs that I am considering (correct me if you feel any of my views are inaccurate). Yes, I've done some prior research (quite a bit, actually), and I've narrowed my list down to a few.

1) NOD32-- Pros: lightweight, small footprint (not sure exactly what this entails) / Cons: maybe not as in-depth and thorough as other AVs

2) Kaspersky-- Pros: extremely thorough, in-depth, huge company, great reputation for many years / Cons: supposedly HUGE resource hog and might slow down computer

3) Avira (either FREE OR PAID; IS PAID WORTH IT?)-- Pros: well, so many people talk about how great it is. i've even heard from hackers that they have trouble (albeit minor) with avira. cons: well, it tends to not make a lot of the mainstream consumer review lists, although this doesn't seem to be much of an issue.

4) MSE-- Pros: free yet supposedly matches the potency of the paid AVs. has great reputation CONS: people seem to complain a lot about MSE not detecting stuff.

Any feedback will be appreciated. Thanks

Oh--and I also hear a LOT of good stuff about f-secure. seems a little pricier/resource-heavy, though

More about : deciding avs

a b 8 Security
a c 421 $ Windows 7
July 3, 2011 2:18:49 PM

Kaspersky-- Pros: extremely thorough, in-depth, huge company, great reputation for many years / Cons: supposedly HUGE resource hog and might slow down computer

Go with KIS OR Norton internet security ! The new norton products are awesome and light !
m
l
July 4, 2011 9:16:05 AM

Microsoft Security Essentials is the King of Kings...!!! +1
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
July 4, 2011 10:44:01 AM

NIS 2011! The free AV products are worth what you pay for them. Nothing!
m
l
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
July 4, 2011 11:12:25 AM

kis 2011 is good.
but makes startups slow due to increased disk usage.
has VERY regular updates.

maybe kis + MSE is ideal combination.
m
l
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
July 4, 2011 11:25:08 AM

Quote:
maybe kis + MSE is ideal combination.

Very bad advice. You should NEVER run 2 AV programs at the same time.
m
l
a b 8 Security
a c 421 $ Windows 7
July 4, 2011 12:16:00 PM

Avast = Your computer is already infected!
m
l
July 4, 2011 4:54:46 PM

thanks for the replies. i'm using MSE + comodo + malwarebytes free version for the moment, although i'm still considering replacing MSE.

what do you all think of nod32 and f-secure? also, should i upgrade to malwarebytes pro?
m
l
!