Deciding between AVs

Firstly: Yes--I'm aware that there's not a single "best" AV out there. And I know that no AV will protect anyone 100% of the time.

Anyway, I am deciding on an AV for 64-bit Windows 7. Being young and addicted to the web, I'll admit I'm not the safest internet surfer/user, but at the same time I am not terribly gullible, so I won't go around clicking something that will likely harm my computer. I game from time to time, so I'd prefer something that's light on the system and don't that's not a huge resource hog (I hear Kaspersky is pretty heavy). However, I don't necessarily want to give up better security for size/weight of the AV.

Also, price isn't my primary concern (I'm willing to pay), although it'd be nice to opt for something cheaper.

Given that^^, here's my impression now on the AVs that I am considering (correct me if you feel any of my views are inaccurate). Yes, I've done some prior research (quite a bit, actually), and I've narrowed my list down to a few.

1) NOD32-- Pros: lightweight, small footprint (not sure exactly what this entails) / Cons: maybe not as in-depth and thorough as other AVs

2) Kaspersky-- Pros: extremely thorough, in-depth, huge company, great reputation for many years / Cons: supposedly HUGE resource hog and might slow down computer

3) Avira (either FREE OR PAID; IS PAID WORTH IT?)-- Pros: well, so many people talk about how great it is. i've even heard from hackers that they have trouble (albeit minor) with avira. cons: well, it tends to not make a lot of the mainstream consumer review lists, although this doesn't seem to be much of an issue.

4) MSE-- Pros: free yet supposedly matches the potency of the paid AVs. has great reputation CONS: people seem to complain a lot about MSE not detecting stuff.

Any feedback will be appreciated. Thanks

Oh--and I also hear a LOT of good stuff about f-secure. seems a little pricier/resource-heavy, though
7 answers Last reply
More about deciding
  1. Kaspersky-- Pros: extremely thorough, in-depth, huge company, great reputation for many years / Cons: supposedly HUGE resource hog and might slow down computer

Go with KIS OR Norton internet security ! The new norton products are awesome and light !
  2. Microsoft Security Essentials is the King of Kings...!!! +1
  3. NIS 2011! The free AV products are worth what you pay for them. Nothing!
  4. kis 2011 is good.
    but makes startups slow due to increased disk usage.
    has VERY regular updates.

maybe kis + MSE is ideal combination.
  5. Quote:
    maybe kis + MSE is ideal combination.

Very bad advice. You should NEVER run 2 AV programs at the same time.
  6. Avast = Your computer is already infected!
  7. thanks for the replies. i'm using MSE + comodo + malwarebytes free version for the moment, although i'm still considering replacing MSE.

what do you all think of nod32 and f-secure? also, should i upgrade to malwarebytes pro?
Ask a new question

Read More

Security Windows 7