New game running too fast after changing clock speeds

Vinny

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2004
I decided to downclock my X850XT to 540/600 only to find that Tomb Raider Legend runs way too fast to play. Any idea why? I know many times, older games run too fast on newer systems but I don't think that's the problem here.

I tried uninstall and reinstall, but that didn't solve the problem.

EDIT: The game literally runs 2x as fast as it's supposed to... the FPS readings are all normal.

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
I decided to downclock my X850XT to 540/600 only to find that Tomb Raider Legend runs way too fast to play. Any idea why? I know many times, older games run too fast on newer systems but I don't think that's the problem here.

I tried uninstall and reinstall, but that didn't solve the problem.

what do you mean by it runs too fast??? isnt faster = better = smoother game play??

ZozZoz

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
remember and old pc game called DeathTrack? (carmageddon's grandpa) You had to race cars, shoot up the opponents, buy studs, armor etc. for your car. Ran great on 386. I tried it on a Pentium 133 and it was like: race starts.. (I'm pressing the "up" key) to accelerate. 2 seconds pass.... Race complete, I finished last.

GigabyteRules

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
if i used cerntain settings in my old p4 mobo the fully optimised settings , when i went into windows it was it if was frame skipping , ie running superfast, like how u can turn frameskipping on in old emu games to spped them up , it was doin that to xp

VTOLfreak

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
Wich moron of a programmer still uses the CPU/GPU clock to calculate timings?
Way to go Crystal Dynamics. (Eidos ditched Core Design for TRL)

the_taker

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
I may have missed a few details on the old games playing situation, but 1 suggestion you could try for games that don't run right is Windows Compatibility mode.

If you right click the EXE for an application, a Compatibility tab appears, allowing you to revert the OS to a previous version. I know you are talking mostly about hardware, but this could help out just to see if the games are older OS friendly.

I'm a troubleshooter at heart, so I am always thinking of alternative methods and things to try.

Just my 1 cent. :)

Vinny

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2004
I can't enable Next Gen features since my card is not SM3 capable and I already turned on Vsync.

And by running too fast, I'm not talking about the FPS. The game literally runs 2x the normal speed but according to FRAPS, my FPS is only around 30-40.

tbiggums

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
Im running x2 4200 and x1950xt (with dual core optimizer). Whenever i try to play splinter cell double agent (also has next-gen settings) first the game will have weird artifacts, next time i run it everything is 2x faster, (like fast forward on a vcr) unplayable.

Had same problem with cod 1 single player wouldnt work(screwed up ai) and multiplayer worked fine (same case here). I disabled one of the cores with winlauncher xp- (try that) but it didnt work with splinter cell (i think splinter cell and tomb raider might have the same engine)