Need help on mobo ASUS P4S333/C IDE detection problems

Nikee

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2005
Hi Guys,

I have an old system: ASUS P4S333/C motherboard running on Win XP. My primary ide channel works fine with an IBM 60 gb hdd and a liteon 52x cd writer. The problem surface up when I got a LG 16x dvd writer and i try to install it on the secondary ide connector. CMOS detected the dvd writer but show the wrong serial number with '!' marks behind it. Subsequently my Win XP did not show the dvd drive letter and the device manager show the wrong serial number for the writer. I have used 40 cable and 80 shield cable and i have also set the dvd writer jumper setting to cable select or master. But still windows did not show the drive letter. I have also swopped my hdd to the secondary ide and wrong serial number is show which also cause the system to freeze during booting. I have got the latest BIOS updates 1007C but with same negative results. Appreciate if anyone could comment on whether there is any way to solve this problem?

donshaw

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
first,go into your bios and ensure both your primary and secondary ide controllers are enabled.if they werent set and reboot.if that dont work try clearing the cmos and setting it to default settings and set time date and boot int windows to see what happens.if that dont work set in the bios the dvd writer as the first boot device see if it will boot from cd and if it does do a repair install of your operating system.these tricks have worked for me in the past but may or may not work for you.

Nikee

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2005
1) Check bios and both primary and secondary ide controllers are enabled.
2) cmos is cleared and default settings are set. date and time are updated.
3) i set dvd writer as boot device where booting is ok and i repair reinstall windows xp.

but still when i hook up the hdd, dvd & cd writers, the third ide device doesnt work. Below are the ide configurations i have done:

1) Primary master hdd, primary slave dvd writer - bios and device manager recognise devices.
Secondary cable select cd writer - bios and device manager give weird device serial number and drive not present. (Refer to Note)

2) Primary master hdd, primary slave cd writer - bios and device manager recognise devices.
Secondary cable select dvd writer - bios and device manager give weird device serial number and drive not present.

3) Primary master hdd - bios and device manager recognise device.
Secondary cable select cd writer - bios and device manager recognise device.

4) Primary master hdd - bios and device manager recognise device.
Secondary cable select dvd writer - bios and device manager recognise device.

5) Primary master hdd - bios and device manager recognise device.
Secondary cable select dvd & cd writer - bios and device manager give both writers weird device serial number and 2 drives not present.

6) Primary master hdd - bios and device manager recognise device.
Secondary master cd writer - bios and device manager recognise device.
Secondary slave dvd writer - bios and device manager give weird device serial number and drive not present.

Conclusion is that the bios only allows ony one optical drive to run with the hdd. I wonder what is hindering it from adding the additional optical drive. IT experts need your help on this problem thanks.

Note: Weird ide serial number means for e.g. correct serial number for LG dvd writer is GSA-4163B but bios and device read this FSA-4163B or GS@-5163B.