GPO application restrictions

Greetings,

I may be asking something that is not possible but some
input would be greatly appreciated. I would like to set a
Policy to allows Domain Users to run applications that
they are restricted by NTFS permissions.

Would I have to create a security group for this or would
it be possible with Group Policy?
3 answers Last reply
More about application restrictions

    You will need to modify the NTFS permissions. You'll have to either grant your domain users permissions to the applications or create a new security group (assuming you dont want all your domain users to have access) and grant permissions to that security group.

    About the only thing group policy would be used for in this situation would be if you wanted to push a script that changed the permissions for the client computers (rather than changing the permissions manually on all computer).

    -Erik

    --
    This post is provided "AS IS" and without warranty, expressed or implied. In no event shall I be liable for any damages whatsoever resulting from the application of the posted content.

    "Larry" wrote:

    > Greetings,
    >
    > I may be asking something that is not possible but some
    > input would be greatly appreciated. I would like to set a
    > Policy to allows Domain Users to run applications that
    > they are restricted by NTFS permissions.
    >
    > Would I have to create a security group for this or would
    > it be possible with Group Policy?

    Erik,
    I can't thank you enough for your advice. You wouldn't
    happen to have a link on creating a script to change
    permissions.

    The command to use is "cacls" from the command prompt; using it along with a batch file you should be able to alter permissions.
    i.e. "cacls /g username:w"

    -Erik
    --

    "Larry" wrote:

    > Erik,
    > I can't thank you enough for your advice. You wouldn't
    > happen to have a link on creating a script to change
    > permissions.

Policy Microsoft Windows