NTFS Disk Format

Is it possible to reformat an NTFS formatted disk and yet still retain the
data on the disk?

Any help much appreciated.

Regards
22 answers Last reply
More about ntfs disk format

    No.

    hth
    DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

    "NoWaySpammers" <davecrispy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Is it possible to reformat an NTFS formatted disk and yet still retain the
    > data on the disk?
    >
    > Any help much appreciated.
    >
    > Regards

    Back up your data and emails, then format. If you don't know whatyou are
    doing, get someone who does.

    "NoWaySpammers" wrote:

    > Is it possible to reformat an NTFS formatted disk and yet still retain the
    > data on the disk?
    >
    > Any help much appreciated.
    >
    > Regards

    "NoWaySpammers" <davecrispy@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > Is it possible to reformat an NTFS formatted disk and yet still
    > retain the data on the disk?

    By definition, formatting means deleting everything on the
    disk--NTFS or not.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    NoWaySpammers wrote:
    > Is it possible to reformat an NTFS formatted disk and yet still retain the
    > data on the disk?
    >
    > Any help much appreciated.
    >
    > Regards

    No. And the file system (NTFS, in your question) is irrelevant. By
    definition, formatting removes all data from a partition.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Ummm, yes, there is. But, it takes a third party program to do so. XP
    cannot do it. But there are apps that can. The caveat is having enough
    disk space. They work by creating a faux partition and simply moving stuff
    toit while they format, the move it back.

    Pop

    Pop

    "Danny Sanders" <Danny.Sanders@NO-SPAMcpcmed.org> wrote in message
    > No.
    >

    > hth
    > DDS W 2k MVP MCSE
    >
    > "NoWaySpammers" <davecrispy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Is it possible to reformat an NTFS formatted disk and yet still retain
    >> the data on the disk?
    >>
    >> Any help much appreciated.
    >>
    >> Regards

    The problem is the disk seems corrupted in some areas and trying to backup
    or move directories takes forever.
    Even a CHKDSK /F after about an hour says "unspecified error" and stops with
    no changes made to the disk...

    NoWaySpammers wrote:
    > The problem is the disk seems corrupted in some areas and trying to backup
    > or move directories takes forever.
    > Even a CHKDSK /F after about an hour says "unspecified error" and stops with
    > no changes made to the disk...
    >

    > "hjomby" <hjomby@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Back up your data and emails, then format. If you don't know whatyou are
    >>doing, get someone who does.
    >>
    >>"NoWaySpammers" wrote:
    >>

    >>>Is it possible to reformat an NTFS formatted disk and yet still retain
    >>>the
    >>>data on the disk?
    >>>
    >>>Any help much appreciated.
    >>>
    >>>Regards

    Who made your hard drive? Go to their website
    and download the diagnostics program and test the
    drive. Eliminate the possibility of a bad drive.

    gls858

    First, formatting wouldn't solve the problem. As others have suggested, you
    need to check the hard drive manufacturer's website for their diagnostic
    tools, download the tools making note of the instructions for creating a
    diagnostic boot disk and then run it.

    Second, formatting by it's very nature, whether using FAT or NTFS will
    "wipe" the drive. This is not a selective function, it's all or nothing.

    Chkdsk is likely finding errors in the disk itself.

    To be clear, formatting is a tool to start over, not fix and continue from
    where you are.

    If the hard drive is indeed failing, you might be able to access the drive
    once the new drive is installed by connecting the current drive as a
    secondary drive. Then install XP on the new drive and attempt to access
    your files from their.

    See the third line of my signature, remembering this information and
    following the advice will prevent you from worrying about your data over
    this type of situation in the future.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    > The problem is the disk seems corrupted in some areas and trying to backup
    > or move directories takes forever.
    > Even a CHKDSK /F after about an hour says "unspecified error" and stops
    > with no changes made to the disk...
    >

    > "hjomby" <hjomby@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Back up your data and emails, then format. If you don't know whatyou are
    >> doing, get someone who does.
    >>
    >> "NoWaySpammers" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is it possible to reformat an NTFS formatted disk and yet still retain
    >>> the
    >>> data on the disk?
    >>>
    >>> Any help much appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Regards

    I think that would make backing up your first task so you don't take a
    chance on losing anymore data than may already be lost but not yet apparent.
    Back up all of your DATA onto CD, floppies, whatever you can manage. If
    you can't recreate the files you've made easily, then back them up.
    Don't bother backing up any of your programs; you can put those back on
    with the original CDs.
    Do backup up your data, plus *.wab, *.idx and anyting else in the folder
    where you find *.idx, open Internet Explorer and Export your settings to a
    file you can backup (File, Import and Export, follow instructions). Just in
    case, write down the email addresses that are important to you and any web
    sites that you consider important and won't be able to find again easily.

    NOW you can afford to try to fix the drive. Michael Solomon had some great
    advice on what to do next. Or, you can go ahead and format if you wish, but
    to me, it actually sounds like you might have a hardware problem.
    If I couldn't prove it was a hardware problem, I'd probably reformat the
    drive and then put it thru as many diagnostics as you can find, and if it
    passes, go ahead and put thing back on, but keep backing up your data for a
    couple of weeks until you're sure it's in good shape.

    Just my two cents.

    Pop

    NoWaySpammers wrote:
    > Is it possible to reformat an NTFS formatted disk and yet still
    > retain the data on the disk?

    What excactly do you want to accomplish? My guess is you're not formatting
    just for the sake of it. Has your Windows XP gone haywire, and you can't get
    it working? Try a repair install. Do you want to change the size of your
    volume(s)? Backup your data, delete your volumes and recreate them with the
    size you want, or resize your existing volumes using third party software
    such as Partition Magic. Is something else bothering you? Tell us what,
    maybe somebody can help.

    My problem is that I have a big (170GB) HD that I use as a BACKUP location.

    Somehow, it seems to have got corrupted in some way and opening a directory
    takes forever and trying to move a directory over to another drive results
    in File Explorer waiting for about 10 minutes and then coming up with NOT
    RESPONDING message......So I cannot move my data off the HD to do the
    format......

    I have tried DISKEEPER - no luck - I have tried CHKDSK /F but that whirrs
    away for about an hour, recorrecting indexes and then returns with an
    'unspecified error' message..

    I am I think screwed unless I bite the bullet and do a full reformat and
    accept I will have to reburn my whole 700 CD collection and lose some music
    downloads from the NET - I have all my data backed up onto other media, so
    should be OK there....just rather frustrating...

    Any help gratefully received..

    "André Gulliksen" <andre.gulliksen@start.no> wrote in message
    > NoWaySpammers wrote:
    >> Is it possible to reformat an NTFS formatted disk and yet still
    >> retain the data on the disk?
    >
    > What excactly do you want to accomplish? My guess is you're not formatting
    > just for the sake of it. Has your Windows XP gone haywire, and you can't
    > get it working? Try a repair install. Do you want to change the size of
    > your volume(s)? Backup your data, delete your volumes and recreate them
    > with the size you want, or resize your existing volumes using third party
    > software such as Partition Magic. Is something else bothering you? Tell us
    > what, maybe somebody can help.

    As another respondent recommended, test the drive with the manufacturer's
    software before you do anything else. If the drive is bad, reformatting
    will not fix it. If the test indicates that you should replace the drive,
    believe it and do so. If you do replace the drive, contact a local shop to
    recover the files onto the new hard drive. Most shops have OnTrack (or
    equivalent) recovery software that can get most, if not all, files off the
    drive with the directory structure intact.

    > My problem is that I have a big (170GB) HD that I use as a BACKUP
    > location.
    >
    > Somehow, it seems to have got corrupted in some way and opening a
    > directory takes forever and trying to move a directory over to another
    > drive results in File Explorer waiting for about 10 minutes and then
    > coming up with NOT RESPONDING message......So I cannot move my data off
    > the HD to do the format......
    >
    > I have tried DISKEEPER - no luck - I have tried CHKDSK /F but that whirrs
    > away for about an hour, recorrecting indexes and then returns with an
    > 'unspecified error' message..
    >
    > I am I think screwed unless I bite the bullet and do a full reformat and
    > accept I will have to reburn my whole 700 CD collection and lose some
    > music downloads from the NET - I have all my data backed up onto other
    > media, so should be OK there....just rather frustrating...
    >
    > Any help gratefully received..
    >

    > "André Gulliksen" <andre.gulliksen@start.no> wrote in message
    >> NoWaySpammers wrote:
    >>> Is it possible to reformat an NTFS formatted disk and yet still
    >>> retain the data on the disk?
    >>
    >> What excactly do you want to accomplish? My guess is you're not
    >> formatting just for the sake of it. Has your Windows XP gone haywire, and
    >> you can't get it working? Try a repair install. Do you want to change the
    >> size of your volume(s)? Backup your data, delete your volumes and
    >> recreate them with the size you want, or resize your existing volumes
    >> using third party software such as Partition Magic. Is something else
    >> bothering you? Tell us what, maybe somebody can help.

    I posted my other response before this one appeared so I apologize for my
    comments with regard to backup.

    It's quite possible the backup drive is not corrupted at all and is simply
    not properly responding because of the problems with your primary drive.

    On the other hand, it's possible you have a virus or some malware that might
    be on both the primary and the backup drive and as such might be the source
    of at least part of the problem though you do need to check the integrity of
    the primary hard drive as per our suggestions.

    Nonetheless, you should also make sure antivirus software is up to date and
    run a scan on both disks as well as check for any possible malware.
    Download, install and run Ad Aware: www.lavasoftusa.com.

    One other point, after running a diagnostic on the primary disk, you should
    also do so on the backup disk to be sure it is okay as well. Chkdsk only
    runs a very basic scan, the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic tools are
    far more robust and should give you a better idea as to whether or not the
    drives are failing.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User
    Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

    "NoWaySpammers" <davecrispy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > My problem is that I have a big (170GB) HD that I use as a BACKUP
    > location.
    >
    > Somehow, it seems to have got corrupted in some way and opening a
    > directory takes forever and trying to move a directory over to another
    > drive results in File Explorer waiting for about 10 minutes and then
    > coming up with NOT RESPONDING message......So I cannot move my data off
    > the HD to do the format......
    >
    > I have tried DISKEEPER - no luck - I have tried CHKDSK /F but that whirrs
    > away for about an hour, recorrecting indexes and then returns with an
    > 'unspecified error' message..
    >
    > I am I think screwed unless I bite the bullet and do a full reformat and
    > accept I will have to reburn my whole 700 CD collection and lose some
    > music downloads from the NET - I have all my data backed up onto other
    > media, so should be OK there....just rather frustrating...
    >
    > Any help gratefully received..
    >

    > "André Gulliksen" <andre.gulliksen@start.no> wrote in message
    >> NoWaySpammers wrote:
    >>> Is it possible to reformat an NTFS formatted disk and yet still
    >>> retain the data on the disk?
    >>
    >> What excactly do you want to accomplish? My guess is you're not
    >> formatting just for the sake of it. Has your Windows XP gone haywire, and
    >> you can't get it working? Try a repair install. Do you want to change the
    >> size of your volume(s)? Backup your data, delete your volumes and
    >> recreate them with the size you want, or resize your existing volumes
    >> using third party software such as Partition Magic. Is something else
    >> bothering you? Tell us what, maybe somebody can help.

    I don't seem to be able to find a diagnostic tool for a LACIE 170GB USB 2
    external drive..(It's one of the Porsche ones and is only 2 months old...!)

    Any ideas?

    Regards

    >I posted my other response before this one appeared so I apologize for my
    >comments with regard to backup.
    >
    > It's quite possible the backup drive is not corrupted at all and is simply
    > not properly responding because of the problems with your primary drive.
    >
    > On the other hand, it's possible you have a virus or some malware that
    > might be on both the primary and the backup drive and as such might be the
    > source of at least part of the problem though you do need to check the
    > integrity of the primary hard drive as per our suggestions.
    >
    > Nonetheless, you should also make sure antivirus software is up to date
    > and run a scan on both disks as well as check for any possible malware.
    > Download, install and run Ad Aware: www.lavasoftusa.com.
    >
    > One other point, after running a diagnostic on the primary disk, you
    > should also do so on the backup disk to be sure it is okay as well.
    > Chkdsk only runs a very basic scan, the hard drive manufacturer's
    > diagnostic tools are far more robust and should give you a better idea as
    > to whether or not the drives are failing.
    >
    > --
    > Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    > Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    > DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >
    > "NoWaySpammers" <davecrispy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> My problem is that I have a big (170GB) HD that I use as a BACKUP
    >> location.
    >>
    >> Somehow, it seems to have got corrupted in some way and opening a
    >> directory takes forever and trying to move a directory over to another
    >> drive results in File Explorer waiting for about 10 minutes and then
    >> coming up with NOT RESPONDING message......So I cannot move my data off
    >> the HD to do the format......
    >>
    >> I have tried DISKEEPER - no luck - I have tried CHKDSK /F but that whirrs
    >> away for about an hour, recorrecting indexes and then returns with an
    >> 'unspecified error' message..
    >>
    >> I am I think screwed unless I bite the bullet and do a full reformat and
    >> accept I will have to reburn my whole 700 CD collection and lose some
    >> music downloads from the NET - I have all my data backed up onto other
    >> media, so should be OK there....just rather frustrating...
    >>
    >> Any help gratefully received..
    >>

    >> "André Gulliksen" <andre.gulliksen@start.no> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> What excactly do you want to accomplish? My guess is you're not
    >>> formatting just for the sake of it. Has your Windows XP gone haywire,
    >>> and you can't get it working? Try a repair install. Do you want to
    >>> change the size of your volume(s)? Backup your data, delete your volumes
    >>> and recreate them with the size you want, or resize your existing
    >>> volumes using third party software such as Partition Magic. Is something
    >>> else bothering you? Tell us what, maybe somebody can help.

    Determine who manufactured the drive. Simply open the case as look. The
    drive was not made by Lacie but by Hitachi, Western Digital, Maxtor, etc.
    and incorporated by Lacie into the enclosure.

    >I don't seem to be able to find a diagnostic tool for a LACIE 170GB USB 2
    >external drive..(It's one of the Porsche ones and is only 2 months old...!)
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Regards
    >

    > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
    >>I posted my other response before this one appeared so I apologize for my
    >>comments with regard to backup.
    >>
    >> It's quite possible the backup drive is not corrupted at all and is
    >> simply not properly responding because of the problems with your primary
    >> drive.
    >>
    >> On the other hand, it's possible you have a virus or some malware that
    >> might be on both the primary and the backup drive and as such might be
    >> the source of at least part of the problem though you do need to check
    >> the integrity of the primary hard drive as per our suggestions.
    >>
    >> Nonetheless, you should also make sure antivirus software is up to date
    >> and run a scan on both disks as well as check for any possible malware.
    >> Download, install and run Ad Aware: www.lavasoftusa.com.
    >>
    >> One other point, after running a diagnostic on the primary disk, you
    >> should also do so on the backup disk to be sure it is okay as well.
    >> Chkdsk only runs a very basic scan, the hard drive manufacturer's
    >> diagnostic tools are far more robust and should give you a better idea as
    >> to whether or not the drives are failing.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>
    >> "NoWaySpammers" <davecrispy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> My problem is that I have a big (170GB) HD that I use as a BACKUP
    >>> location.
    >>>
    >>> Somehow, it seems to have got corrupted in some way and opening a
    >>> directory takes forever and trying to move a directory over to another
    >>> drive results in File Explorer waiting for about 10 minutes and then
    >>> coming up with NOT RESPONDING message......So I cannot move my data off
    >>> the HD to do the format......
    >>>
    >>> I have tried DISKEEPER - no luck - I have tried CHKDSK /F but that
    >>> whirrs away for about an hour, recorrecting indexes and then returns
    >>> with an 'unspecified error' message..
    >>>
    >>> I am I think screwed unless I bite the bullet and do a full reformat and
    >>> accept I will have to reburn my whole 700 CD collection and lose some
    >>> music downloads from the NET - I have all my data backed up onto other
    >>> media, so should be OK there....just rather frustrating...
    >>>
    >>> Any help gratefully received..
    >>>

    >>> "André Gulliksen" <andre.gulliksen@start.no> wrote in message

    NOW - you mention that it is an external drive. Why don't you give all the
    information at the beginning.

    Take the drive out of the case and connect it to the M/B directly. The case
    electronics just may be defective. I have seen this 2-3 times.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "NoWaySpammers" <davecrispy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I don't seem to be able to find a diagnostic tool for a LACIE 170GB USB 2
    >external drive..(It's one of the Porsche ones and is only 2 months old...!)
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Regards
    >

    > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
    >>I posted my other response before this one appeared so I apologize for my
    >>comments with regard to backup.
    >>
    >> It's quite possible the backup drive is not corrupted at all and is
    >> simply not properly responding because of the problems with your primary
    >> drive.
    >>
    >> On the other hand, it's possible you have a virus or some malware that
    >> might be on both the primary and the backup drive and as such might be
    >> the source of at least part of the problem though you do need to check
    >> the integrity of the primary hard drive as per our suggestions.
    >>
    >> Nonetheless, you should also make sure antivirus software is up to date
    >> and run a scan on both disks as well as check for any possible malware.
    >> Download, install and run Ad Aware: www.lavasoftusa.com.
    >>
    >> One other point, after running a diagnostic on the primary disk, you
    >> should also do so on the backup disk to be sure it is okay as well.
    >> Chkdsk only runs a very basic scan, the hard drive manufacturer's
    >> diagnostic tools are far more robust and should give you a better idea as
    >> to whether or not the drives are failing.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>
    >> "NoWaySpammers" <davecrispy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> My problem is that I have a big (170GB) HD that I use as a BACKUP
    >>> location.
    >>>
    >>> Somehow, it seems to have got corrupted in some way and opening a
    >>> directory takes forever and trying to move a directory over to another
    >>> drive results in File Explorer waiting for about 10 minutes and then
    >>> coming up with NOT RESPONDING message......So I cannot move my data off
    >>> the HD to do the format......
    >>>
    >>> I have tried DISKEEPER - no luck - I have tried CHKDSK /F but that
    >>> whirrs away for about an hour, recorrecting indexes and then returns
    >>> with an 'unspecified error' message..
    >>>
    >>> I am I think screwed unless I bite the bullet and do a full reformat and
    >>> accept I will have to reburn my whole 700 CD collection and lose some
    >>> music downloads from the NET - I have all my data backed up onto other
    >>> media, so should be OK there....just rather frustrating...
    >>>
    >>> Any help gratefully received..
    >>>

    >>> "André Gulliksen" <andre.gulliksen@start.no> wrote in message

    Start with the primary drive, it may well be the source of all the issues.

    As to Lacie, check their manual, website and tech support for possible
    tools. That said, your access problems with the external drive, may stem
    from the problems that exist on the primary so start there.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User
    Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

    "NoWaySpammers" <davecrispy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I don't seem to be able to find a diagnostic tool for a LACIE 170GB USB 2
    >external drive..(It's one of the Porsche ones and is only 2 months old...!)
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Regards
    >

    > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
    >>I posted my other response before this one appeared so I apologize for my
    >>comments with regard to backup.
    >>
    >> It's quite possible the backup drive is not corrupted at all and is
    >> simply not properly responding because of the problems with your primary
    >> drive.
    >>
    >> On the other hand, it's possible you have a virus or some malware that
    >> might be on both the primary and the backup drive and as such might be
    >> the source of at least part of the problem though you do need to check
    >> the integrity of the primary hard drive as per our suggestions.
    >>
    >> Nonetheless, you should also make sure antivirus software is up to date
    >> and run a scan on both disks as well as check for any possible malware.
    >> Download, install and run Ad Aware: www.lavasoftusa.com.
    >>
    >> One other point, after running a diagnostic on the primary disk, you
    >> should also do so on the backup disk to be sure it is okay as well.
    >> Chkdsk only runs a very basic scan, the hard drive manufacturer's
    >> diagnostic tools are far more robust and should give you a better idea as
    >> to whether or not the drives are failing.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>
    >> "NoWaySpammers" <davecrispy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> My problem is that I have a big (170GB) HD that I use as a BACKUP
    >>> location.
    >>>
    >>> Somehow, it seems to have got corrupted in some way and opening a
    >>> directory takes forever and trying to move a directory over to another
    >>> drive results in File Explorer waiting for about 10 minutes and then
    >>> coming up with NOT RESPONDING message......So I cannot move my data off
    >>> the HD to do the format......
    >>>
    >>> I have tried DISKEEPER - no luck - I have tried CHKDSK /F but that
    >>> whirrs away for about an hour, recorrecting indexes and then returns
    >>> with an 'unspecified error' message..
    >>>
    >>> I am I think screwed unless I bite the bullet and do a full reformat and
    >>> accept I will have to reburn my whole 700 CD collection and lose some
    >>> music downloads from the NET - I have all my data backed up onto other
    >>> media, so should be OK there....just rather frustrating...
    >>>
    >>> Any help gratefully received..
    >>>

    >>> "André Gulliksen" <andre.gulliksen@start.no> wrote in message

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Backup what you can and see about warranty replacement.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "NoWaySpammers" <davecrispy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I don't seem to be able to find a diagnostic tool for a LACIE 170GB USB 2
    > external drive..(It's one of the Porsche ones and is only 2 months
    old...!)

    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Regards
    >

    > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
    > >I posted my other response before this one appeared so I apologize for my
    > >comments with regard to backup.
    > >
    > > It's quite possible the backup drive is not corrupted at all and is
    simply
    > > not properly responding because of the problems with your primary drive.
    > >
    > > On the other hand, it's possible you have a virus or some malware that
    > > might be on both the primary and the backup drive and as such might be
    the
    > > source of at least part of the problem though you do need to check the
    > > integrity of the primary hard drive as per our suggestions.
    > >
    > > Nonetheless, you should also make sure antivirus software is up to date
    > > and run a scan on both disks as well as check for any possible malware.
    > > Download, install and run Ad Aware: www.lavasoftusa.com.
    > >
    > > One other point, after running a diagnostic on the primary disk, you
    > > should also do so on the backup disk to be sure it is okay as well.
    > > Chkdsk only runs a very basic scan, the hard drive manufacturer's
    > > diagnostic tools are far more robust and should give you a better idea
    as
    > > to whether or not the drives are failing.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    > > Windows Shell/User
    > > Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    > > DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    > >
    > > "NoWaySpammers" <davecrispy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> My problem is that I have a big (170GB) HD that I use as a BACKUP
    > >> location.
    > >>
    > >> Somehow, it seems to have got corrupted in some way and opening a
    > >> directory takes forever and trying to move a directory over to another
    > >> drive results in File Explorer waiting for about 10 minutes and then
    > >> coming up with NOT RESPONDING message......So I cannot move my data off
    > >> the HD to do the format......
    > >>
    > >> I have tried DISKEEPER - no luck - I have tried CHKDSK /F but that
    whirrs
    > >> away for about an hour, recorrecting indexes and then returns with an
    > >> 'unspecified error' message..
    > >>
    > >> I am I think screwed unless I bite the bullet and do a full reformat
    and
    > >> accept I will have to reburn my whole 700 CD collection and lose some
    > >> music downloads from the NET - I have all my data backed up onto other
    > >> media, so should be OK there....just rather frustrating...
    > >>
    > >> Any help gratefully received..
    > >>

    > >> "André Gulliksen" <andre.gulliksen@start.no> wrote in message

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Correction: Read "as look" as "and look". Sorry about that.

    > Determine who manufactured the drive. Simply open the case as look. The
    > drive was not made by Lacie but by Hitachi, Western Digital, Maxtor, etc.
    > and incorporated by Lacie into the enclosure.

    > "NoWaySpammers" <davecrispy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>I don't seem to be able to find a diagnostic tool for a LACIE 170GB USB 2
    >>external drive..(It's one of the Porsche ones and is only 2 months
    >>old...!)
    >>
    >> Any ideas?
    >>
    >> Regards
    >>

    >> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
    >>>I posted my other response before this one appeared so I apologize for my
    >>>comments with regard to backup.
    >>>
    >>> It's quite possible the backup drive is not corrupted at all and is
    >>> simply not properly responding because of the problems with your primary
    >>> drive.
    >>>
    >>> On the other hand, it's possible you have a virus or some malware that
    >>> might be on both the primary and the backup drive and as such might be
    >>> the source of at least part of the problem though you do need to check
    >>> the integrity of the primary hard drive as per our suggestions.
    >>>
    >>> Nonetheless, you should also make sure antivirus software is up to date
    >>> and run a scan on both disks as well as check for any possible malware.
    >>> Download, install and run Ad Aware: www.lavasoftusa.com.
    >>>
    >>> One other point, after running a diagnostic on the primary disk, you
    >>> should also do so on the backup disk to be sure it is okay as well.
    >>> Chkdsk only runs a very basic scan, the hard drive manufacturer's
    >>> diagnostic tools are far more robust and should give you a better idea
    >>> as to whether or not the drives are failing.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >>> Windows Shell/User
    >>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>>
    >>> "NoWaySpammers" <davecrispy@hotmail.com> wrote in message

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Haven't found a single one of those programs that actually recovered
    anything *useable*. I wouldn't waste the money.

    DDS
    "Pop" <nobody@devnull.spamcop.net> wrote in message
    > Ummm, yes, there is. But, it takes a third party program to do so. XP
    > cannot do it. But there are apps that can. The caveat is having enough
    > disk space. They work by creating a faux partition and simply moving
    > stuff toit while they format, the move it back.
    >
    > Pop
    >

    > Pop
    >
    > "Danny Sanders" <Danny.Sanders@NO-SPAMcpcmed.org> wrote in message
    >> No.
    >>

    >> hth
    >> DDS W 2k MVP MCSE
    >>
    >> "NoWaySpammers" <davecrispy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Is it possible to reformat an NTFS formatted disk and yet still retain
    >>> the data on the disk?
    >>>
    >>> Any help much appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Regards

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    NoWaySpammers wrote:

    >Is it possible to reformat an NTFS formatted disk and yet still retain the
    >data on the disk?

    No. Reformat implies that you are deleting *everything* from the disk.
    Back up first

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Why format then? To what purpose?

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "NoWaySpammers" <davecrispy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Is it possible to reformat an NTFS formatted disk and yet still retain the
    > data on the disk?
    >
    > Any help much appreciated.
    >
    > Regards

NTFS Microsoft Format Windows XP