Applying Security Policy Takes Forever

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
a b 8 Security
June 29, 2004 8:28:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

Hi,

I have a PC that has suddenly developed a problem. For some reason it now
takes 2mins 30seconds to apply the domain security policy, compared to last
week when it only took about 30 seconds.
The machine is a clone of 5 other machies which are all in the same office,
and are pretty much used just for label printing. The other machines all
apply their security policies in under 1 min. The only thing I can think
that has changed is the SUS Updates ran yesterday, however I don't think
there were any updates installed on this particular machine.
The spec is a HP e-pc (small form factor) P766, 128mb ram, 10gb disk,
integrated intel 810 video, integrated 3com 905c-tx. The users logon with
different usernames, however they all use the same profile.

I have re-installed SP4, and checked the event viewer, which had nothing out
of the ordinary. I am just about to enable logging for security
configuration client processing.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what might be causing this?

Cheers

Ben
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 29, 2004 8:28:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

Ben-
Are you setting file system or registry security in that policy? Those are
pretty expensive operations that can take a while when they first run.

--
Darren Mar-Elia
MS-MVP-Windows Management

"Ben Blackmore" <bjblackmore@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a PC that has suddenly developed a problem. For some reason it now
> takes 2mins 30seconds to apply the domain security policy, compared to
last
> week when it only took about 30 seconds.
> The machine is a clone of 5 other machies which are all in the same
office,
> and are pretty much used just for label printing. The other machines all
> apply their security policies in under 1 min. The only thing I can think
> that has changed is the SUS Updates ran yesterday, however I don't think
> there were any updates installed on this particular machine.
> The spec is a HP e-pc (small form factor) P766, 128mb ram, 10gb disk,
> integrated intel 810 video, integrated 3com 905c-tx. The users logon with
> different usernames, however they all use the same profile.
>
> I have re-installed SP4, and checked the event viewer, which had nothing
out
> of the ordinary. I am just about to enable logging for security
> configuration client processing.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions as to what might be causing this?
>
> Cheers
>
> Ben

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 30, 2004 4:35:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

Also check it's dns configuration and make sure that it points to ONLY AD domain
controllers running dns for the domain and never an ISP dns server. Try to ping the
dns server by IP and name and use nslookup to verify correct operation. Also run
netdiag on it looking for any failed tests/errors/fatal warnings that may indicate a
problem with locating the domain controller or it's secure channel/computer account.
Don't rule out a flaky nic/cable/port. --- Steve

"Ben Blackmore" <bjblackmore@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a PC that has suddenly developed a problem. For some reason it now
> takes 2mins 30seconds to apply the domain security policy, compared to last
> week when it only took about 30 seconds.
> The machine is a clone of 5 other machies which are all in the same office,
> and are pretty much used just for label printing. The other machines all
> apply their security policies in under 1 min. The only thing I can think
> that has changed is the SUS Updates ran yesterday, however I don't think
> there were any updates installed on this particular machine.
> The spec is a HP e-pc (small form factor) P766, 128mb ram, 10gb disk,
> integrated intel 810 video, integrated 3com 905c-tx. The users logon with
> different usernames, however they all use the same profile.
>
> I have re-installed SP4, and checked the event viewer, which had nothing out
> of the ordinary. I am just about to enable logging for security
> configuration client processing.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions as to what might be causing this?
>
> Cheers
>
> Ben

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 30, 2004 1:51:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

Its a security template being applied via group policy, I think it was the
securews.inf found in winnt\security\templates.
After enabling logging I've found the following errors in the winlogon.log
file, would they cause the problem?

Warning 2: The system cannot find the file specified.
Error opening
machine\software\classes\appid\{6295df2d-35ee-11d1-8707-00c04fd93327}.
Warning 2: The system cannot find the file specified.
Error setting security on
machine\software\classes\appid\{6295df2d-35ee-11d1-8707-00c04fd93327}.
Warning 2: The system cannot find the file specified.
Error opening
machine\software\classes\clsid\{6295df27-35ee-11d1-8707-00c04fd93327}.
Warning 2: The system cannot find the file specified.
Error setting security on
machine\software\classes\clsid\{6295df27-35ee-11d1-8707-00c04fd93327}.
Configure
machine\software\classes\clsid\{6295df2d-35ee-11d1-8707-00c04fd93327}.
Warning 2: The system cannot find the file specified.
Error opening
machine\software\classes\clsid\{6295df2d-35ee-11d1-8707-00c04fd93327}.
Warning 2: The system cannot find the file specified.
Error setting security on
machine\software\classes\clsid\{6295df2d-35ee-11d1-8707-00c04fd93327}.
Warning 2: The system cannot find the file specified.
Error setting security on c:\ntbootdd.sys.
Warning 2: The system cannot find the file specified.
Error setting security on c:\winnt\help\dcntart.chm.
Warning 2: The system cannot find the file specified.
Error setting security on c:\winnt\help\javaperm.hlp.
Configure c:\winnt\help\javasec.hlp.
Warning 2: The system cannot find the file specified.
Error setting security on c:\winnt\help\javasec.hlp.
Warning 2: The system cannot find the file specified.
Error setting security on c:\winnt\help\proccon.chm.
Warning 2: The system cannot find the file specified.
Error setting security on c:\winnt\inf\nt5java.inf.

!