Processor Help please?

Howry

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
Here is my current Setup.

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 2.0GHz Socket 939 Processor

CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200)

EVGA Geforce 7800GT OC 256 Meg

EVGA Motherboard, I dont remember what model #.

Basically this system is used for Gaming. I dont want to upgrade the whole thing by switching to AM2 motherboard/processor and memory so I would just like to upgrade the processor on this unit.

Ive heard that you dont get much of a boost having a Duel core Processor in gaming. Here are my upgrade options. Opinions?

1st Option-
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester 2.2GHz Socket 939 Processor Model ADA4200DAA5BV - OEM

64 bit Support: Yes
HT: 2000MHz
Hyper-Transport Support: Yes
L1 Cache: 128KB+128KB
L2 Cache: 2 x 512KB
Multi-Core: Dual-Core
Process Type: 90 nm
Series: Athlon 64 X2

$155 at Newegg.

2nd Option-

AMD Opteron 150 Venus 2.4GHz Socket 939 Processor Model OSA150BNBOX - Retail

HT: 1000MHz
L1 Cache: 64KB+64KB
L2 Cache: 1MB
Multi-Core: Single-Core
Series: Opteron
Virtualization Technology Support: No
Vista Ready: Yes

$140 at Newgg

Or Last but probably the least.

# AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Venice 2.4GHz Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3800BPBOX - Retail

HT: 2000MHz
L1 Cache: 64KB+64KB
L2 Cache: 512KB
Multi-Core: Single-Core
Series: Athlon 64
Virtualization Technology Support: No
Vista Ready: Yes
# Model #: ADA3800BPBOX

$85 at newegg.

All of them would be upgrades but which would be the best bang for my buck?

Maybe im best off going with the $85 one and then saving up to upgrade to a AM2 with 240 pin ram etc in 6 months or so? I need to get a 2nd system for the wife anyway and she could have this one and I could take the new one later on?

Howry

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
I do overclock. Id like to keep the price under $150 so the $155 is pushing it already.

The opteron 150 listed apparently people have OCed to 3ghz. So thats why I threw it in there.

Maybe none of these would be a huge upgrade and I should stay where im at? Hmm.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
I do overclock. Id like to keep the price under $150 so the $155 is pushing it already.

The opteron 150 listed apparently people have OCed to 3ghz. So thats why I threw it in there.

Maybe none of these would be a huge upgrade and I should stay where im at? Hmm.

Going to the 4200+ would give you quite the speed boost in multithreaded games, encoding, smoothness, etc. Dual-core, while not NECESSARY, is sort of de facto these days.

Howry

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
Here is another option that I didnt see newegg having but Chief Value does.

AMD Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego 2.4GHz Socket 939 Processor Model ADA4000DAA5BN - OEM

$95 or retail version for $130ish

Howry

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
Ill probably end up with the duel core I was just curious if there was a reason to go with it if I would get better gaming performance out of a single core. Im putting together a System to play Vanguard which I dont believe optimizes Duel Core. Atleast not yet.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
Ill probably end up with the duel core I was just curious if there was a reason to go with it if I would get better gaming performance out of a single core. Im putting together a System to play Vanguard which I dont believe optimizes Duel Core. Atleast not yet.

You wouldn't miss the 200Mhz different between the 4000+ single core and the 4200+ dual core when you feel the responsiveness when you're multitasking. Not to mention you can easily get the 4200+ to 2.6Ghz on the stock cooler with hardly a voltage increase. I can't recommend a single core processor unless you get a killer deal, and while single core A64s are pretty budget minded these days, a dual core is just so nice to have. I went from a 3500+ system to my Core Duo notebook and it multitasks much smoother - though the 3500+ never left me wanting for more speed.

I would just overclock your current Athlon 64 3200+ and see how Vanguard performs on it. I don't know if Vanguard will be CPU or GPU bound, but if the performance seems slow then at that point you should consider if upgrading is worth it.

For now, just sit tight and keep saving money so that you can a new system around socket AM2. However, I think you'll get better bang for your buck if you were to build a Core 2 Duo system instead, but that's just my opinion.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006

I would just overclock your current Athlon 64 3200+ and see how Vanguard performs on it. I don't know if Vanguard will be CPU or GPU bound, but if the performance seems slow then at that point you should consider if upgrading is worth it.

For now, just sit tight and keep saving money so that you can a new system around socket AM2. However, I think you'll get better bang for your buck if you were to build a Core 2 Duo system instead, but that's just my opinion.

I thought about recommending that, but his current system is still quite good. He can comfortably get another two years of play out of it with maybe a graphics card upgrade.

TRENDING THREADS