Green Bay HD moving toward HDTV Critical Mass

Last response: in Home Theatre
May 5, 2004 9:58:16 PM

Here in WI Packerland... ABC, CBS, & PBS locals pass thru high Power HD

signals daily. ABC shuts down HD from 11 PM to 5 AM to save electric
$$$.

The Local NBC digital station is gearing up for HD pass thru for the

Greek Olympics....

And the most interesting part is the Local FOX stations rapid HD

pending moves.... Fox local will have HD material pass thru for

most of the GB Packer fall Games. FOX national will do up to 6 HD NFL

games each weekend.. It will offer the HD games/signal to Time Warner
local

for a pound of flesh(read cash). IF Cable things do not work out
well...

our local OTA set top box will bring in the FOX NFL HD games here in
GBay.

OTA set top boxes will be in demand, possibly... Plus HD TV sets may
sell very WELL!!!

On a 2nd good note... Next Spring FOX should have some of the NASCAR
races in HD too!

My HD wish has been to have all 5 major 'local' networks in GBay in
HD....

Sounds like Early September will put us Packer fans in HD heaven with
a Set top box..

And NASCAR is carried along next year as favored HD bonus that should
help HDTV sales.....

The only other feature missing that makes HDTV rock is Dolby Digital
EX (5.1 or 6.1)

on some HD cable channels. My ONKYO 501 AV Receiver sure adds
surround sound quality!!
Anonymous
May 6, 2004 3:38:12 PM

Dennis, I'm looking at Greenbay, and very concerned about the 'Packer
Games', but had TWarner take there HD Atlantic Science 8500 back as the
regular channels were very bad with all there boxes, so running with nothing
right now. I need the real Scoop of which way to go, as I got my new 50v500
and need HD , I mean Movies are good but have to get the Packers.

My neighbor has the Dish (not DirecTV) with a outside Antenna, but he don't
have that 'Set Top Box' what ever that is, and Best Buy wants to sell me the
DirectTV, they don't like all those simple questions.

If I got too many Questions, maybe there is a link that will give me the
answer's !

Oh, I'm 30 Miles from Green Bay Down in the Valley, so I would need a Very
good Antenna.
JoeT@NO_new.rr.com Rare I list my real mail, Remove ' NO' to reply
direct.

"Dennis Mayer" <Polaris1@execpc.com> wrote in message

> Here in WI Packerland... ABC, CBS, & PBS locals pass thru high Power HD
>
> signals daily. ABC shuts down HD from 11 PM to 5 AM to save electric
> $$$.
>
> The Local NBC digital station is gearing up for HD pass thru for the
>
> Greek Olympics....
>
> And the most interesting part is the Local FOX stations rapid HD
>
> pending moves.... Fox local will have HD material pass thru for
>
> most of the GB Packer fall Games. FOX national will do up to 6 HD NFL
>
> games each weekend.. It will offer the HD games/signal to Time Warner
> local
>
> for a pound of flesh(read cash). IF Cable things do not work out
> well...
>
> our local OTA set top box will bring in the FOX NFL HD games here in
> GBay.
>
> OTA set top boxes will be in demand, possibly... Plus HD TV sets may
> sell very WELL!!!
>
> On a 2nd good note... Next Spring FOX should have some of the NASCAR
> races in HD too!
>
> My HD wish has been to have all 5 major 'local' networks in GBay in
> HD....
>
> Sounds like Early September will put us Packer fans in HD heaven with
> a Set top box..
>
> And NASCAR is carried along next year as favored HD bonus that should
> help HDTV sales.....
>
> The only other feature missing that makes HDTV rock is Dolby Digital
> EX (5.1 or 6.1)
>
> on some HD cable channels. My ONKYO 501 AV Receiver sure adds
> surround sound quality!!
Anonymous
May 6, 2004 3:52:08 PM

OK, I'm back, change that question from what is a 'Set Top Box' to will that
same box (or the one from Dirext TV) work with the OTA !

"Dennis Mayer" <Polaris1@execpc.com> wrote in message

> Here in WI Packerland... ABC, CBS, & PBS locals pass thru high Power HD
>
> signals daily. ABC shuts down HD from 11 PM to 5 AM to save electric
> $$$.
>
> The Local NBC digital station is gearing up for HD pass thru for the
>
> Greek Olympics....
>
> And the most interesting part is the Local FOX stations rapid HD
>
> pending moves.... Fox local will have HD material pass thru for
>
> most of the GB Packer fall Games. FOX national will do up to 6 HD NFL
>
> games each weekend.. It will offer the HD games/signal to Time Warner
> local
>
> for a pound of flesh(read cash). IF Cable things do not work out
> well...
>
> our local OTA set top box will bring in the FOX NFL HD games here in
> GBay.
>
> OTA set top boxes will be in demand, possibly... Plus HD TV sets may
> sell very WELL!!!
>
> On a 2nd good note... Next Spring FOX should have some of the NASCAR
> races in HD too!
>
> My HD wish has been to have all 5 major 'local' networks in GBay in
> HD....
>
> Sounds like Early September will put us Packer fans in HD heaven with
> a Set top box..
>
> And NASCAR is carried along next year as favored HD bonus that should
> help HDTV sales.....
>
> The only other feature missing that makes HDTV rock is Dolby Digital
> EX (5.1 or 6.1)
>
> on some HD cable channels. My ONKYO 501 AV Receiver sure adds
> surround sound quality!!
Anonymous
May 6, 2004 7:52:19 PM

Joe:

Hear is what I know about the Packer HD schedule & type of TV
reception reqd.....

11 Games are on FOX HD channel 51 digital
(these HD games will be OTA and possibly on Time Warner
Cable IF??????)

3 Games are on ABC HD channel 23 digital (Monday nite)
( these games will be on both OTA & Time Warner Cable)

1 game is on CBS HD channel 56 digital (this game may/may not be
in HD???)
( Since CBS has shown just 1 or 2 HD NFL games per weekend,
this
game could possibly be in HD and will be shown on both OTA
& TW Cable)

1 game is on Cable ESPNHD (Sunday nite)
(this game is never OTA and currently is not shown on
Kaukauna Time Warner Cable)

Time Warner Kaukauna today carries only ABC and CBS in HD now.....
FOX local pass thru HD when it arrives in Sept 04 could be
carried
by Time Warner IF Both Companies agree on a price.....

ESPNHD could be carried by Time Warner now IF TW buys in ESPNHD
prices...

AS far as OTA (Over the Air Antenna reception) HD Program reception

off Scrays Hill SE of DePere... the Green Bay digital stations

are all UHF.. (UHF Channels 14 thru 59). Either a Medium Yagi

or 8 bay bow tie antenna should do well on HDTV from Menasha
area...

As for a digital receivers: There are 3 different kinds: namely,

OTA Antenna, Cable TV, or Dish/Satellite TV. There are only

combos of these types that support both OTA antenna & Dish/Sat TV.

I believe no OTA & Cable TV combo receiver units are
manufactured..?

To get HDTV you need a UHF antenna or Cable or Dish....

Dish does not usually support local HDTV reception, except by OTA.

As for my HD receivers... I have two: Time Warner Cable SA3250HD
at $7/ mo.
plus the $8/ mo HD Program charge for 9 HDTV Stations,
6 pure Cable and 3 off Scray Hill by Time Warner).
and an OTA Samsung T-151 ($300) with a 4 bay bow tie UHF
antenna...

Joe H wrote:

> Dennis, I'm looking at Greenbay, and very concerned about the 'Packer
> Games', but had TWarner take there HD Atlantic Science 8500 back as the
> regular channels were very bad with all there boxes, so running with nothing
> right now. I need the real Scoop of which way to go, as I got my new 50v500
> and need HD , I mean Movies are good but have to get the Packers.
>
> My neighbor has the Dish (not DirecTV) with a outside Antenna, but he don't
> have that 'Set Top Box' what ever that is, and Best Buy wants to sell me the
> DirectTV, they don't like all those simple questions.
>
> If I got too many Questions, maybe there is a link that will give me the
> answer's !
>
> Oh, I'm 30 Miles from Green Bay Down in the Valley, so I would need a Very
> good Antenna.
> JoeT@NO_new.rr.com Rare I list my real mail, Remove ' NO' to reply
> direct.
>
> "Dennis Mayer" <Polaris1@execpc.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Here in WI Packerland... ABC, CBS, & PBS locals pass thru high Power HD
> >
> > signals daily. ABC shuts down HD from 11 PM to 5 AM to save electric
> > $$$.
> >
> > The Local NBC digital station is gearing up for HD pass thru for the
> >
> > Greek Olympics....
> >
> > And the most interesting part is the Local FOX stations rapid HD
> >
> > pending moves.... Fox local will have HD material pass thru for
> >
> > most of the GB Packer fall Games. FOX national will do up to 6 HD NFL
> >
> > games each weekend.. It will offer the HD games/signal to Time Warner
> > local
> >
> > for a pound of flesh(read cash). IF Cable things do not work out
> > well...
> >
> > our local OTA set top box will bring in the FOX NFL HD games here in
> > GBay.
> >
> > OTA set top boxes will be in demand, possibly... Plus HD TV sets may
> > sell very WELL!!!
> >
> > On a 2nd good note... Next Spring FOX should have some of the NASCAR
> > races in HD too!
> >
> > My HD wish has been to have all 5 major 'local' networks in GBay in
> > HD....
> >
> > Sounds like Early September will put us Packer fans in HD heaven with
> > a Set top box..
> >
> > And NASCAR is carried along next year as favored HD bonus that should
> > help HDTV sales.....
> >
> > The only other feature missing that makes HDTV rock is Dolby Digital
> > EX (5.1 or 6.1)
> >
> > on some HD cable channels. My ONKYO 501 AV Receiver sure adds
> > surround sound quality!!
Anonymous
May 6, 2004 8:48:43 PM

Dennis, I'm not far from you, a few miles in apple town, I just get done
having a guy try to sell me the Dish, he worked hard at it, and there is no
contract, but heard that Direct TV is better, so setting tight.

> [...]
> > >
> > > OTA set top boxes will be in demand, possibly... Plus HD TV sets
may
> > > sell very WELL!!!
> > >
> > > On a 2nd good note... Next Spring FOX should have some of the
NASCAR
> > > races in HD too!
> > >
> > > My HD wish has been to have all 5 major 'local' networks in GBay in
> > > HD....
> > >
> > > Sounds like Early September will put us Packer fans in HD heaven
with
> > > a Set top box..
> > >
> > > And NASCAR is carried along next year as favored HD bonus that
should
> > > help HDTV sales.....
> > >
> > > The only other feature missing that makes HDTV rock is Dolby
Digital
> > > EX (5.1 or 6.1)
> > >
> > > on some HD cable channels. My ONKYO 501 AV Receiver sure adds
Anonymous
June 21, 2004 3:03:29 AM

Receivied a note from WLUK that said they will be HD by Football season.
They also said that they would *not * be on Time Warner in Green Bay.

--
gbtide
!