Sign in with
Your question

help build a noob's gaming rig

Last response: in Systems
January 17, 2007 3:40:08 AM

hi. i just left home (left a 4 year old dell with onboard graphics behind) and i've got some money for once (£1500ish though i can go higher) so i'd like to build something worth using. i do a lot of everything (gaming, transcoding, using firefox with a lot of tabs).

i've got a few spare parts lying around (dual layer dvd burner and some hard drives, mouse, keyboard, monitor) so i don't need to worry about those.

i haven't shopped around or anything yet to check prices. i've just picked some bits to start off with so i can visualise the final product.

antec 900 gaming case

i'm not too sure how to choose a psu. except knowing that it should be > 600w for a geforce 8800 and that i'll probably end up with another card as well

a motherboard i picked just because it seems to support everything i can think of

Intel Core 2 DUO E6600 2.40GHz

thinking about a 8800 gtx to last me a long time but maybe i should get something to keep me going until there are a lot of dx10 games and there's some competition to knock the prices down

ram confuses me and depends on the motherboard anyway but (eventually) 2 gigs though i could definitely survive with just 1 for now

thanks for looking and i'd appreciate your thoughts.

More about : build noob gaming rig

January 17, 2007 10:39:46 AM

Very best choices.

Basically, 800+ ram for overclocking & 533/667 ram for stock speeds.

For overclocking:
Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 PC2-6400C4 800MHz Dual Channel Kit (BL2KIT12864AA804) £169.99

For stock:
GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC5300 667MHz Value DDR2 Dual Channel Kit (GX22GB5300DC) £129.99

PSU:
OCZ GameXStream 700w Silent SLI Ready ATX2 Power Supply £84.99
OCZ GameXStream 850w Silent SLI Ready ATX2 Power Supply £114.99
Enermax Noisetaker 600W EG701AX-VE(W) SFMA £74.99
Enermax Galaxy 850W EGA850EWL ATX2.2 Modular PSU £149.99
Tagan TG800-U25 800W ATX2.0 Dual Engine Silent SLi £109.99
Seasonic M12 Modular 600W Silent ATX2.0 Power Supply £94.99

The high wattage Hiper & FSP PSUs are out of stock.
Related resources
January 18, 2007 2:27:23 AM

I don't know a good site to get UK prices from, but this would be a good build for £1500:

Antec Nine Hundred
$134.99
-Good case, great airflow, seeing as everyone has their own opinion on what style of case is actually attractive, since you already recommended it, I say go for it

OCZ GameXStrem 700watt
$159.99
-Sure the OCZ 850watt is nice, but considering that the GameXStream only has 2x PCI-E power connectors, you can't SLI 2x 8800gtx, and there is no way 2x 8800gts can use up over 700watts, not even close. The extra wattage just wont be used. If you wanted 2x 8800gtx, or the possibility to do so, grab a PC Power & Cooling 750watt.

Asus P5B Deluxe
$194.99
-One of the best 965 chipset boards out there right now, fairly affordible in comparison to super high-end boards (300-350$). This board also overclocks like a monster

Intel Core2Duo E6600
$317.00
-This one is obvious, the Core2Duo is the best processor for performance, overclockability, heat, etc...

Thermaltake Big Typhoon VX
Corsair XMS 2x1024MB DDR2-800 4-4-4-12
$274.00
-Corsair memory is super compatible, and quite overclockable. You can probably hit 1000mhz with this memory on loss timings when overclocking. However I don't think you'll ever need to hit that high. I'll explain later.

eVGA 8800GTX
$589.99
-This videocard is the fastest single GPU card you can buy today, period. That should be more then enough reason to get this beast.

Total: Using a currency converter, it comes up to about £1350. Although you have £150 extra to spend, there isn't much you could do to increase performance to justify the extra money. Maybe you want some extra HDs, or another DVD burner? Maybe you want better speakers? I don't know.

Now, for how this build is setup for overclocking:
Seeing as the multiplier is 9x, to hit 1000mhz on the memory, you would need a clock speed of 4.5ghz, which isn't possible without extreme measures. Without to much stress on the system you should be able to hit 3.6ghz, which is 400mhz on the FSB, easily attainable with that motherboard, the ram still wont be running out of spec, and that Thermaltake CPU cooler will take care of whatever heat comes your way.
January 18, 2007 4:20:58 AM

Yes, the 9x multiplier will definitely help with an overclock. If you're going to go with a lower CPU, then get better RAM than the Corsair if you want great overclocks. The newer releases of the Corsair have apparently switched to Promos chips in the RAM (not as good for overclocking as the Micron D9's). The Crucial Ballistix have the Micron D9's.

So, some people have gotten the earlier Corsairs and report great overclocks. I haven't heard much from more recent purchases though.

But hey, if you're gonna go with the Ballistix, why not just go with the Team Xtreme DDR2-800 @ CL4.......that's on my wish list *drool*. Won't break the bank either ;) 
January 18, 2007 4:30:54 AM

thanks. £1500 is not so much a target as a budget though. that's a good point about the psu connectors. exactly the kind of thing i wouldn't have noticed. so the 8800 gtx needs two pci-e power connectors each?

i don't know the differences between types of memory (though i'm sure there are benchmarks to help me out somewhere). what's the benefit of the team xtreme memory (i see that it has different numbers from some of the cheaper ones but i don't know what all the numbers mean)?

and do i really need an aftermarket heatsink? i've read the standard core 2 duo cooler is pretty good on its own and the case is pretty well cooled by all the other fans as well.
January 18, 2007 5:44:20 AM

Quote:
thanks. £1500 is not so much a target as a budget though. that's a good point about the psu connectors. exactly the kind of thing i wouldn't have noticed. so the 8800 gtx needs two pci-e power connectors each?

i don't know the differences between types of memory (though i'm sure there are benchmarks to help me out somewhere). what's the benefit of the team xtreme memory (i see that it has different numbers from some of the cheaper ones but i don't know what all the numbers mean)?

and do i really need an aftermarket heatsink? i've read the standard core 2 duo cooler is pretty good on its own and the case is pretty well cooled by all the other fans as well.

1) Yes the 8800gtx requires 2x PCI-E power connectors each, and it's probably not the first and only videocard either.

2) I'm not a memory expert in terms of what manufacturer uses what chips. I only have experience with Corsair and OCZ. Both great memory manufacturers, but I have heard OCZ has problems with compatibility with some motherboards lately.

3) It's not that Intel's stock heatsinks do a good job. Almost any quality aftermarket cooler will perform better, it's just that they give off so little heat. Lower temps are always better, and another good reason to replace the stock heatsink is because of noise. While it's not exactly loud (I'm using a stock Intel heatsink for now) it is definitely noticeable, and going from a Zalman 7000cu to this, there is a huge difference. The Zalman cooler was inaudible with my case fans drowning out the noise, but now I can only hear that stupid fan. Again, while it's not loud, if you do require a silent PC for whatever reason, replacing it is a good idea.
January 18, 2007 7:08:33 AM

A noob's gaming rig should look something like this:

AMD Sempron 2500+ Socket 754
any Elitegroup motherboard for around 60 bucks
512 mb (2x256) DDR 266 SDRAM
Radeon X1300 512 mb ultra-diamond-monster edition card
300 watt "Uncle Benny" PSU
and a 10 dollar "Golden Star" PC Case (blazing white on the outside, and razor sharp due to poor quality on the inside).
January 19, 2007 12:57:48 AM

LMAO, that's sooo true.

Robo, you're looking for a noob builder's computer, not a noob's computer ;) 

Not to worry, you'll get the help you need here. Looks like you're almost set.
!