Critical Updates for EVGA 680i motherboard?

blacklist

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
I'm trying to compile a list of things to download and burn to a cd before I start this build.
I already have the latest BIOS
& a few other things that do not apply to the motherboard

What specifically should I be on the lookout for? I've heard not to install nvidia network assistant.. ever

if anyone can help me out I'd really appreciate it

NewbieTechGodII

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
nTune doesn't work worth a shite most times. You change some settings and mostly the MB will lock up (at least mine did).

And having nTune find the "Optimal" settings for my EVGA 8800GTS resulted in a blanked-out blue screen lock-up.

After running all of the standard tests (SuperPI, Memtest86+, Orthos, 3DMark2006: no errors/warnings and CPU temps were good), I would continue working on my various projects without incident. Later on, I would shut-off the computer and a couple of hours later, turn it back on.

The result: every single setting in the BIOS set to disabled! The FDD became the only bootable device, and RAID was gone (even USB).

When attempting to adjust the CPU and Memory timings, the BIOS would hang.

The SATA ports are mislabled in the book and do not correlate to the ones on the board. The four grouped together are not 3-4-5-6 from top to bottom, but are 3-4-5-6 bottom-to-top. Or is it the other way around?

You will need to install the chipset fan. Afterwards, use nTune to set its fan speed to <50%, or else you'll go crazy from the noise.

The SATA channels are also weirdly named. You have 6 SATA ports, numbered and referrenced as 1-6. But in the BIOS, they are labled as SATA 0 Primary, SATA 0 Secondary for ports 1 and 2, and so on for the other 4 ports. Just think of them in pairs.

Watch out for nTune as it might set your CPU fan to 0%! In the BIOS, set CPU fan to manual and set to always run at 100% (if you're running C2D that is). The noise on the stock HSF for C2D is very quiet. Also set the chipset fan to 50% here too (because nTune likes to do things its own way).

Mine died <2 weeks after getting it, so.

I hadn't heard anything about that network manager you mentioned.

I am really tired as I write this, so some of what I write may not make sense. Apologies.

The BIOS I had was P24.

NewbieTechGodII

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
I think so, and I know I have read in a few places where it was more simple and effective, but others may agree or disagree. Personally, I run Memtest86+ (test 5 for at least 10 runs, then a complete test overnight), Orthos for at least an hour, and SuperPI.