Cant update or LAN/online

Archived from groups: alt.games.command-n-conq (More info?)

Hi

Love this game, play it daily on skirmish, i use add on maps and have 1v5
all on brutal and make a game last a few hours.........Urban Rush is my
fave!

Now is it because i have these add ons, as when i try to update the game as
it says i get a message saying it cant etc etc.

The game was a copy but loved it so much got a origonal, i stopped buying
games right out as 99% i only play once...........

Are the add on maps the problem? I have a unused orig key that i could use,
i really dont want to lose all my maps and scores etc.

BTW is online skirmsh great fun?
I play tactical for hours rather than a quick kill
cheers!

Archived from groups: alt.games.command-n-conq (More info?)

On Mon, 31 May 2004 18:50:47 +0100, "JULIAN HALES"
<julianhales@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi
>
>Love this game, play it daily on skirmish, i use add on maps and have 1v5
>all on brutal

Which game? There's at least 5 games in the C&C installment, and it's very
difficult to tell which one is being referred to (even when you provide a
name of an RA2 map such as Urban Rush.)

>Now is it because i have these add ons, as when i try to update the game as
>it says i get a message saying it cant etc etc.

Describe the message - usually that's an indication about the problem
itself.

When in dobut, there are patches that can be downloaded from various
webpages - the version you should be looking for is the 1.006 patch for
RA2, or the 1.001 patch for YR.

>The game was a copy but loved it so much got a origonal, i stopped buying
>games right out as 99% i only play once...........
>
>Are the add on maps the problem? I have a unused orig key that i could use,
>i really dont want to lose all my maps and scores etc.

For online play, scores and stats are bound to either an account, or are
stored in files on your local hard drive. Changing the CD-key won't affect
either of these.

>BTW is online skirmsh great fun?
>I play tactical for hours rather than a quick kill

RA2 is focused on quick combat, especially considering some of the tactics
available that involve quick destruction of enemy bases. You won't see
many long games appearing for online play.

Archived from groups: alt.games.command-n-conq (More info?)

Ray, srry i presumed this was the generals ng, i have been here a while and
always noticed it was this game....more

"Raymond Martineau" <bk039@freenet.carleton.ca> wrote in message
> On Mon, 31 May 2004 18:50:47 +0100, "JULIAN HALES"
> <julianhales@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >Hi
> >
> >Love this game, play it daily on skirmish, i use add on maps and have 1v5
> >all on brutal
>
> Which game? There's at least 5 games in the C&C installment, and it's
very
> difficult to tell which one is being referred to (even when you provide a
> name of an RA2 map such as Urban Rush.)

Yes Generals, had them all, from the Ps upwards to PC

> >Now is it because i have these add ons, as when i try to update the game
as
> >it says i get a message saying it cant etc etc.
>
> Describe the message - usually that's an indication about the problem
> itself.

Will do when i try alter, had the message for about a year or more of
trying, but my memory is bad i kept forgetting to ask here, will try later
and give the mesage

> When in dobut, there are patches that can be downloaded from various
> webpages - the version you should be looking for is the 1.006 patch for
> RA2, or the 1.001 patch for YR.
>
> >The game was a copy but loved it so much got a origonal, i stopped buying
> >games right out as 99% i only play once...........
> >
> >Are the add on maps the problem? I have a unused orig key that i could
use,
> >i really dont want to lose all my maps and scores etc.
>
> For online play, scores and stats are bound to either an account, or are
> stored in files on your local hard drive. Changing the CD-key won't
affect
> either of these.
>
> >BTW is online skirmsh great fun?
> >I play tactical for hours rather than a quick kill
>
> RA2 is focused on quick combat, especially considering some of the tactics
> available that involve quick destruction of enemy bases. You won't see
> many long games appearing for online play.

Had RA2, or was it the first one? the one that went really sci fi wasnt my
thing, i prefer more realistic weapons etc but thats me.

"JULIAN HALES" <julianhales@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Ray, srry i presumed this was the generals ng, i have been here a while
and
> always noticed it was this game....more

<<lots of snipping>>

Not a problem. this is one of 4 general (no pun intended, lower case , not
Generals) C&C Newsgroups. any one of the games can be discussed here. it was
created for the original C&C Tiberium Dawn, but has evolved to accept all,
even if a separate newsgroup is created (I know of none for Generals).

anyway, about online playing. I hesitate to say go for it since there are
many creeps, losers, and downright idiots online who have nothing better to
do than annoy people. i gave it up years ago.

BUT, what i do is i have a couple of good friends who we meet and play as
allies against the computer. very similar to what you experience in
skirmish, but more funs since you now have friends who stand by you,
"shoulder to shoulder and backs to the wall" ("F Troop"). i also have Roger
Wilco to have actual verbal communications with my allies, rather than the
keyboard (i cannot type).

this i have been doing for years, and it never gets old.

BTW, i am computer illiterate, and cannot answer your other questions. I do
also "try before you buy".

oh, and i dont own Generals. my pc isn't strong enough to run it. i play
Tiberium Sun. Was lousy on single missions, but great with skirmish and
online playing.

--
Fight Win Prevail
But Never Cheat