Sign in with
Your question

Video Streaming Need To Know: Part 2 - The Real World

Last response: in Toms Network
August 4, 2006 7:07:34 PM

In the final Part 2 of this tutorial, Tim Higgins finds truth and lies about wireless streaming.

Speak out in the Tom's Networking reader survey!
a b F Wireless
August 4, 2006 11:12:18 PM

I can stream video with almost no glitchs on the network i have setup....however once that microwave is on...kiss it good bye :( 

Would 802.11a avoid this? will it also have the same range as g?
it would not be hard to replace the 2 laptop minipci cards with A/b-g cards and go from there....The pain is replacing the 2 access points :( 

Sugestions?
August 5, 2006 11:23:08 PM

Wireless or wired, UDP is a network hog, while TCP will back off and share due to its congestion avoidance mechanisms. This is networking 101 stuff.
Related resources
August 7, 2006 12:29:49 PM

Quote:
I can stream video with almost no glitchs on the network i have setup....however once that microwave is on...kiss it good bye :( 

Would 802.11a avoid this? will it also have the same range as g?
it would not be hard to replace the 2 laptop minipci cards with A/b-g cards and go from there....The pain is replacing the 2 access points :( 

Microwaves use the 2.4GHz band. 11a uses the 5GHz band. So yes, moving to 11a would avoid microwave oven interference.

Current dual/band 802.11a products using Atheros chipsets should have similar range using either 11b/g or 11a.

Pickin's are slim for dual-band APs since manfs are more interested in hyping MIMO and draft 11n gear, which all operate in 2.4GHz and have the same interference problems.

Try checking here:
http://stores.tomshardware.com/search_attrib.php/page_i...
October 13, 2006 2:07:30 AM

where do i go to learn how to stream a vid across my network
thanks for article
!