How do you set windows explorer to open to folders?

When I open windows explorer, I want it to open to show the folders on the
left pane, not the "tasks" and "other places" stuff. How would I do this?
TIA

Hi,

HOW TO: Customize the Windows Explorer Views in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307856

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"drdug" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
> When I open windows explorer, I want it to open to show the folders on the
> left pane, not the "tasks" and "other places" stuff. How would I do this?
> TIA

Set the Explorer Bar to display Folders. This is accessed through "View |
Explorer Bar" on the menu. Place a checkmark next to "Folders".

"drdug" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
> When I open windows explorer, I want it to open to show the folders on the
> left pane, not the "tasks" and "other places" stuff. How would I do this?
> TIA

pop

That -might- be a useful response to anyone who already knows what that
seemingly vague terminology means! If one is experienced enough to know
what those descriptions are saying, they most likely didn't need to ask
here. There is not one single word in that whole page that is meaningful to
the syntax the OP asked. And that is exactly what's wrong with MS
documentation. Only very occasionally are the references to the kds useful
unless the person reading already knows all that and simply needs a
reference, OR has just come from figuring out, for instance, what the hell
the "default" view IS.

Sorry, but your answer was a superior non-answer. Too many of them come
thru here.

Pop

> Hi,
>
> HOW TO: Customize the Windows Explorer Views in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307856
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "drdug" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> When I open windows explorer, I want it to open to show the folders on
>> the left pane, not the "tasks" and "other places" stuff. How would I do
>> this? TIA

pop

In other words, on the top menu bar, click View, Explorer Bar, and tick
Folders, right? Least I think that's what you said.
Pop

"DJ Borell" <dborell@techmedix.com> wrote in message
> Set the Explorer Bar to display Folders. This is accessed through "View |
> Explorer Bar" on the menu. Place a checkmark next to "Folders".
>
> "drdug" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> When I open windows explorer, I want it to open to show the folders on
>> the left pane, not the "tasks" and "other places" stuff. How would I do
>> this? TIA

I missed your response with the more detailed explanation. Could you perhaps
repeat it for the benefit of all?

If the OP needs more detailed instructions, all they need do is ask and I am
happy to spend the time writing them up - are you willing to do the same? Or
do you just like to tell people what you think of their responses and not
really contribute useful information? I've been doing this for a long time,
and when the answer is found in an article that is already devoted to the
question, I post it. If the user doesn't understand it, or cannot comprehend
it, then they are free to ask follow-up questions and I will do my best to
answer them, and not chastise them for a lack of knowledge. We are all
learning every day, we're just on different levels. As I try to help many
people in any given day, I don't assume they have a lot or a little
knowledge - I let them tell me. If they don't take the time to come back and
ask for more details, then to me they either understood the answer or don't
really care enough about resolving the issue to devote the time necessary to
resolving it.

--

"Pop" <nobody@devnull.spamcop.net> wrote in message
> That -might- be a useful response to anyone who already knows what that
> seemingly vague terminology means! If one is experienced enough to know
> what those descriptions are saying, they most likely didn't need to ask
> here. There is not one single word in that whole page that is meaningful
> to the syntax the OP asked. And that is exactly what's wrong with MS
> documentation. Only very occasionally are the references to the kds
> useful unless the person reading already knows all that and simply needs a
> reference, OR has just come from figuring out, for instance, what the hell
> the "default" view IS.
>
> Sorry, but your answer was a superior non-answer. Too many of them come
> thru here.
>
> Pop

>> Hi,
>>
>> HOW TO: Customize the Windows Explorer Views in Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307856
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "drdug" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
>>> When I open windows explorer, I want it to open to show the folders on
>>> the left pane, not the "tasks" and "other places" stuff. How would I do
>>> this? TIA

Unfortunately Windows Explorer doesn't keep htat setting...the next time I
opened it, it opend to that other useless pane on the left side that has My
Computer, etc. on it. Is there a way to make it open up with folders on the
left pane every time I open that explorer window? Or is it one of those
things where Windows just refuses to remember my preferences, like in the
Systray?

thanks

"DJ Borell" <dborell@techmedix.com> wrote in message
> Set the Explorer Bar to display Folders. This is accessed through "View |
> Explorer Bar" on the menu. Place a checkmark next to "Folders".
>
> "drdug" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> When I open windows explorer, I want it to open to show the folders on
>> the left pane, not the "tasks" and "other places" stuff. How would I do
>> this? TIA

Open folders in Windows Explorer mode by default (i.e. with folder pane
enabled):
http://www.winxptutor.com/folderpane.htm

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

> Unfortunately Windows Explorer doesn't keep htat setting...the next time I
> opened it, it opend to that other useless pane on the left side that has
> My Computer, etc. on it. Is there a way to make it open up with folders
> on the left pane every time I open that explorer window? Or is it one of
> those things where Windows just refuses to remember my preferences, like
> in the Systray?
>
> thanks
>

> "DJ Borell" <dborell@techmedix.com> wrote in message
>> Set the Explorer Bar to display Folders. This is accessed through "View
>> | Explorer Bar" on the menu. Place a checkmark next to "Folders".
>>
>> "drdug" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
>>> When I open windows explorer, I want it to open to show the folders on
>>> the left pane, not the "tasks" and "other places" stuff. How would I do
>>> this? TIA

Happy

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004

Listening in here, thank you for that solution-- I have been looking for it
too.
> Open folders in Windows Explorer mode by default (i.e. with folder pane
> enabled):
> http://www.winxptutor.com/folderpane.htm
>

> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "drdug" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> Unfortunately Windows Explorer doesn't keep htat setting...the next time
>> I opened it, it opend to that other useless pane on the left side that
>> has My Computer, etc. on it. Is there a way to make it open up with
>> folders on the left pane every time I open that explorer window? Or is
>> it one of those things where Windows just refuses to remember my
>> preferences, like in the Systray?
>>
>> thanks
>>

>> "DJ Borell" <dborell@techmedix.com> wrote in message
>>> Set the Explorer Bar to display Folders. This is accessed through "View
>>>
>>> "drdug" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message

You're welcome Happy.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Happy" <happy@trial.ca> wrote in message
> Listening in here, thank you for that solution-- I have been looking for
> it too.
>> Open folders in Windows Explorer mode by default (i.e. with folder pane
>> enabled):
>> http://www.winxptutor.com/folderpane.htm
>>

>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "drdug" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
>>> Unfortunately Windows Explorer doesn't keep htat setting...the next time
>>> I opened it, it opend to that other useless pane on the left side that
>>> has My Computer, etc. on it. Is there a way to make it open up with
>>> folders on the left pane every time I open that explorer window? Or is
>>> it one of those things where Windows just refuses to remember my
>>> preferences, like in the Systray?
>>>
>>> thanks
>>>

>>> "DJ Borell" <dborell@techmedix.com> wrote in message

THANKS!! Why is it so impossible to find this information in "Help & Support
in XP" ? Sigh.

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Open folders in Windows Explorer mode by default (i.e. with folder pane
> enabled):
> http://www.winxptutor.com/folderpane.htm
>

> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "drdug" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
> > Unfortunately Windows Explorer doesn't keep htat setting...the next time I
> > opened it, it opend to that other useless pane on the left side that has
> > My Computer, etc. on it. Is there a way to make it open up with folders
> > on the left pane every time I open that explorer window? Or is it one of
> > those things where Windows just refuses to remember my preferences, like
> > in the Systray?
> >
> > thanks
> >

> > "DJ Borell" <dborell@techmedix.com> wrote in message
> >> Set the Explorer Bar to display Folders. This is accessed through "View
> >>
> >> "drdug" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message

You're welcome. Help and Support does not explain customizations. The
Windows Explorer command-line switches are documented though (in KBs).

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User