How do you set windows explorer to open to folders?

When I open windows explorer, I want it to open to show the folders on the
left pane, not the "tasks" and "other places" stuff. How would I do this?
TIA
11 answers Last reply
More about windows explorer open folders

    Hi,

    HOW TO: Customize the Windows Explorer Views in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307856

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "drdug" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > When I open windows explorer, I want it to open to show the folders on the
    > left pane, not the "tasks" and "other places" stuff. How would I do this?
    > TIA

    Set the Explorer Bar to display Folders. This is accessed through "View |
    Explorer Bar" on the menu. Place a checkmark next to "Folders".

    "drdug" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > When I open windows explorer, I want it to open to show the folders on the
    > left pane, not the "tasks" and "other places" stuff. How would I do this?
    > TIA

    That -might- be a useful response to anyone who already knows what that
    seemingly vague terminology means! If one is experienced enough to know
    what those descriptions are saying, they most likely didn't need to ask
    here. There is not one single word in that whole page that is meaningful to
    the syntax the OP asked. And that is exactly what's wrong with MS
    documentation. Only very occasionally are the references to the kds useful
    unless the person reading already knows all that and simply needs a
    reference, OR has just come from figuring out, for instance, what the hell
    the "default" view IS.

    Sorry, but your answer was a superior non-answer. Too many of them come
    thru here.

    Pop

    > Hi,
    >
    > HOW TO: Customize the Windows Explorer Views in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307856
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "drdug" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
    >> When I open windows explorer, I want it to open to show the folders on
    >> the left pane, not the "tasks" and "other places" stuff. How would I do
    >> this? TIA

    In other words, on the top menu bar, click View, Explorer Bar, and tick
    Folders, right? Least I think that's what you said.
    Pop

    "DJ Borell" <dborell@techmedix.com> wrote in message
    > Set the Explorer Bar to display Folders. This is accessed through "View |
    > Explorer Bar" on the menu. Place a checkmark next to "Folders".
    >
    > "drdug" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
    >> When I open windows explorer, I want it to open to show the folders on
    >> the left pane, not the "tasks" and "other places" stuff. How would I do
    >> this? TIA

    I missed your response with the more detailed explanation. Could you perhaps
    repeat it for the benefit of all?

    If the OP needs more detailed instructions, all they need do is ask and I am
    happy to spend the time writing them up - are you willing to do the same? Or
    do you just like to tell people what you think of their responses and not
    really contribute useful information? I've been doing this for a long time,
    and when the answer is found in an article that is already devoted to the
    question, I post it. If the user doesn't understand it, or cannot comprehend
    it, then they are free to ask follow-up questions and I will do my best to
    answer them, and not chastise them for a lack of knowledge. We are all
    learning every day, we're just on different levels. As I try to help many
    people in any given day, I don't assume they have a lot or a little
    knowledge - I let them tell me. If they don't take the time to come back and
    ask for more details, then to me they either understood the answer or don't
    really care enough about resolving the issue to devote the time necessary to
    resolving it.

    --

    "Pop" <nobody@devnull.spamcop.net> wrote in message
    > That -might- be a useful response to anyone who already knows what that
    > seemingly vague terminology means! If one is experienced enough to know
    > what those descriptions are saying, they most likely didn't need to ask
    > here. There is not one single word in that whole page that is meaningful
    > to the syntax the OP asked. And that is exactly what's wrong with MS
    > documentation. Only very occasionally are the references to the kds
    > useful unless the person reading already knows all that and simply needs a
    > reference, OR has just come from figuring out, for instance, what the hell
    > the "default" view IS.
    >
    > Sorry, but your answer was a superior non-answer. Too many of them come
    > thru here.
    >
    > Pop

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> HOW TO: Customize the Windows Explorer Views in Windows XP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307856
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "drdug" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
    >>> When I open windows explorer, I want it to open to show the folders on
    >>> the left pane, not the "tasks" and "other places" stuff. How would I do
    >>> this? TIA

    Unfortunately Windows Explorer doesn't keep htat setting...the next time I
    opened it, it opend to that other useless pane on the left side that has My
    Computer, etc. on it. Is there a way to make it open up with folders on the
    left pane every time I open that explorer window? Or is it one of those
    things where Windows just refuses to remember my preferences, like in the
    Systray?

    thanks

    "DJ Borell" <dborell@techmedix.com> wrote in message
    > Set the Explorer Bar to display Folders. This is accessed through "View |
    > Explorer Bar" on the menu. Place a checkmark next to "Folders".
    >
    > "drdug" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
    >> When I open windows explorer, I want it to open to show the folders on
    >> the left pane, not the "tasks" and "other places" stuff. How would I do
    >> this? TIA

    Open folders in Windows Explorer mode by default (i.e. with folder pane
    enabled):
    http://www.winxptutor.com/folderpane.htm

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    > Unfortunately Windows Explorer doesn't keep htat setting...the next time I
    > opened it, it opend to that other useless pane on the left side that has
    > My Computer, etc. on it. Is there a way to make it open up with folders
    > on the left pane every time I open that explorer window? Or is it one of
    > those things where Windows just refuses to remember my preferences, like
    > in the Systray?
    >
    > thanks
    >

    > "DJ Borell" <dborell@techmedix.com> wrote in message
    >> Set the Explorer Bar to display Folders. This is accessed through "View
    >> | Explorer Bar" on the menu. Place a checkmark next to "Folders".
    >>
    >> "drdug" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
    >>> When I open windows explorer, I want it to open to show the folders on
    >>> the left pane, not the "tasks" and "other places" stuff. How would I do
    >>> this? TIA

    Listening in here, thank you for that solution-- I have been looking for it
    too.
    > Open folders in Windows Explorer mode by default (i.e. with folder pane
    > enabled):
    > http://www.winxptutor.com/folderpane.htm
    >

    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "drdug" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
    >> Unfortunately Windows Explorer doesn't keep htat setting...the next time
    >> I opened it, it opend to that other useless pane on the left side that
    >> has My Computer, etc. on it. Is there a way to make it open up with
    >> folders on the left pane every time I open that explorer window? Or is
    >> it one of those things where Windows just refuses to remember my
    >> preferences, like in the Systray?
    >>
    >> thanks
    >>

    >> "DJ Borell" <dborell@techmedix.com> wrote in message
    >>> Set the Explorer Bar to display Folders. This is accessed through "View
    >>>
    >>> "drdug" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message

    You're welcome Happy.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Happy" <happy@trial.ca> wrote in message
    > Listening in here, thank you for that solution-- I have been looking for
    > it too.
    >> Open folders in Windows Explorer mode by default (i.e. with folder pane
    >> enabled):
    >> http://www.winxptutor.com/folderpane.htm
    >>

    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "drdug" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
    >>> Unfortunately Windows Explorer doesn't keep htat setting...the next time
    >>> I opened it, it opend to that other useless pane on the left side that
    >>> has My Computer, etc. on it. Is there a way to make it open up with
    >>> folders on the left pane every time I open that explorer window? Or is
    >>> it one of those things where Windows just refuses to remember my
    >>> preferences, like in the Systray?
    >>>
    >>> thanks
    >>>

    >>> "DJ Borell" <dborell@techmedix.com> wrote in message

    THANKS!! Why is it so impossible to find this information in "Help & Support
    in XP" ? Sigh.

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Open folders in Windows Explorer mode by default (i.e. with folder pane
    > enabled):
    > http://www.winxptutor.com/folderpane.htm
    >

    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "drdug" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > > Unfortunately Windows Explorer doesn't keep htat setting...the next time I
    > > opened it, it opend to that other useless pane on the left side that has
    > > My Computer, etc. on it. Is there a way to make it open up with folders
    > > on the left pane every time I open that explorer window? Or is it one of
    > > those things where Windows just refuses to remember my preferences, like
    > > in the Systray?
    > >
    > > thanks
    > >

    > > "DJ Borell" <dborell@techmedix.com> wrote in message
    > >> Set the Explorer Bar to display Folders. This is accessed through "View
    > >>
    > >> "drdug" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message

    You're welcome. Help and Support does not explain customizations. The
    Windows Explorer command-line switches are documented though (in KBs).

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Finally" <Finally@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > THANKS!! Why is it so impossible to find this information in "Help &
    > Support
    > in XP" ? Sigh.
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Open folders in Windows Explorer mode by default (i.e. with folder pane
    >> enabled):
    >> http://www.winxptutor.com/folderpane.htm

Windows Explorer Microsoft Windows XP