Sign in with
Your question

8800gtx SLi Is it worth the money??? Or Is One Enuff???

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 17, 2007 6:41:03 AM

I have the money and im set

im really interested in the 8800gtx in Sli but im not sure it would be worth the money

I have a 30inch Dell LCD monitor and i run all my games in 2560 x 1600 resolutions-- no if, ands, or buts, about it.

But by looking at the bench's im not sure if two 8800 would be overkill??? Should i save my money or would it be worth it to get Sli

Currently right now i have Quad Sli and it lags like a mofo somtimes in that high resolutions, so im not sure if even one 8800gtx would cut it

and im looking to play all my games, and future games in maximum settings

and i do not wish to upgrade for a while....what should i do?????
January 17, 2007 7:00:48 AM

One 8800gtx should be ample. Ive got mine permanently set at high quality, max aa and max iso. No slow down with any of the current games. This is on a monitor res of 1650x1050. The card is being pushed by a qx6700 and 4 gig of ram mind.

The performance increase of sli is not double. When you find the 8800gtx not cutting it, then the 400+quid you would have spent on the second card, will get you the latest geforce 9 or 10 series.

Paul
January 17, 2007 7:38:15 AM

Well if you don't have any problem with the money then go for it. With 30" monitor it would be very very smooth at high settings. For games like Crysis and other good games to come it would be great to play it with ultra smooth visuals.
Related resources
January 17, 2007 12:17:54 PM

Im soo confused.....

they both make sense

but when i hear about people play as resolutions i do with a single 8800gtx solution i hear that they lag alot with all the settings maxed out

i lagged on my quad sli solution and a single gtx is only marginly faster at those resolutions.

im so lost =(
January 18, 2007 11:33:42 PM

Quote:
Im soo confused.....

they both make sense

but when i hear about people play as resolutions i do with a single 8800gtx solution i hear that they lag alot with all the settings maxed out

i lagged on my quad sli solution and a single gtx is only marginly faster at those resolutions.

im so lost =(

One GTX will meet all your present needs. There is no reason to buy SLI for anything you might run today. The only question is your comment that you don't wish to upgrade for "a while". While one will meet your current needs, it won't last forever. So when will one stop being "good enough"? Sorry... no crystal balls here. My best guess guess is that it will be fine for the next year. So, the question to be answered IMO is really up to you...

Is it worth spending an extra $600 now to keep you from opening your case up again for the next 18 months instead of the next 12 months?
January 19, 2007 12:17:51 AM

I actually had the same question. I realize benchmarks show the SLI config being up to 1.9 better and I also realize that 20-40% is more common for games. I might still be willing to pay that, especially as I'm building from scratch but won't be buying for about 5 months when prices will be down some, as they will be for quadcore too.

For games like Crysis... seems like SLI might be worth it?
January 19, 2007 12:39:42 AM

This is really simple. Buy one, if it is enough, then wait to buy any video upgrades until it isn't enough anymore. When the one 8800gtx doesn't work anymore, then, either buy another for SLI, OR, buy a single new gen card. Whatever is cheaper and gives the best bang for the buck. Got it?

wes
January 19, 2007 12:52:53 AM

Yes it's worth it. :D 
January 19, 2007 1:10:24 AM

Buy one for now and then the other later.A single 8800gtx outperforms any other video card to date.As for sli,well all I can say is that some games will benefit from sli where others will show minimal difference.But if money is the issue,then buy one now and get the other one later.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.6 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X EVGA 7800GT IN SLI
2X1GIG DDR IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR 1280X1024
THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120
January 19, 2007 1:36:44 AM

Lets not forget the cost of an nforce 680i chipset mobo...Yes it supports sli but is its performance double that of an intel chipset mobo. Simple answer is no.

My old crt graphics design monitor would go to over 2000 res. I regularly used to play games at 1600x1200 and higher on a prescot 3gig with a radeon 9800pro. One 8800gtx will sufice.
Paul
January 19, 2007 1:37:57 AM

At 2560x1600, dual 8800GTXs would be useful if you wish to play F.E.A.R. and Oblivion smooth with 4xAA.
January 19, 2007 2:04:00 AM

Quote:
One 8800gtx should be ample. ... No slow down with any of the current games. This is on a monitor res of 1650x1050.

Dude he's got a 30" dell at 2560x1600.

1650x1050 =1732500 pixels
2560x1600 =4096000 pixels

He's got nearly 2.5 times the number of pixels you have, so yes he absolutely would benefit from sli.

I have a 24" 1920x1200 and 2 8800gtx's in SLI. SLI makes a good difference to me for sure.

Quote:

Lets not forget the cost of an nforce 680i chipset mobo...Yes it supports sli but is its performance double that of an intel chipset mobo. Simple answer is no.

Huh? so what? If he's got the money for a 30" dell and 2 8800 GTX's then another $100 for the diff. between an intel and an nvidia motherboard ain't an issue.

Also FYI, SLI can provide upto double the performance of a single GPU. It depends what you're playing/doing and at what resolution. The only reason it doesn't sometimes is when the rest of the system is the bottleneck because your res. or AA is down too low.
January 19, 2007 2:15:23 AM

Quote:

One GTX will meet all your present needs. There is no reason to buy SLI for anything you might run today. ...

Baloney. Microsoft flight sim X and Oblivion are 2 perfect examples of games that are out today that benefit a lot from 8800GTX in SLI, especially if you play either of those with all the eyecandy settings maxxed, and especially on the monitor he's got.
January 19, 2007 2:19:56 AM

WTF is so difficult about this people. The answer is very obvious. If he buys one this week, and it's not enough for him, he will still be able to buy one more next week. You guys need to give it a rest, the cards will be around long enough for him to buy another if one is not powrful enough for his needs. I don't beleive he has stated what games he will be playing, and if he has, sorry, I am not going back through the thread to look.

To the OP, you could have done this on your own. IF ONE CARD DOES NOT DO THE JOB, BUY ANOTHER ONE. CASE CLOSED, STOP BEING CLOWNS EVERYONE. :roll:

Thanks
wes
January 19, 2007 2:33:42 AM

Quote:

Baloney. Microsoft flight sim X and Oblivion are 2 perfect examples of games that are out today that benefit a lot from 8800GTX in SLI, especially if you play either of those with all the eyecandy settings maxxed, and especially on the monitor he's got.

I have the same monitor and find 1 to be sufficient, even on oblivion. don't play mfs X, but I have heard it is a beast.
January 19, 2007 2:52:20 AM

Why is this thread still going?
January 19, 2007 7:53:07 AM

I am not the only one, and, I am trying to bring some sense into it. You guys need to stop arguing, the problem has already been solved for the OP.

wes
January 19, 2007 8:22:09 AM

I should buy one 8800gtx now and spare the money for future updates...
January 19, 2007 1:48:03 PM

Quote:
This is really simple. Buy one, if it is enough, then wait to buy any video upgrades until it isn't enough anymore. When the one 8800gtx doesn't work anymore, then, either buy another for SLI, OR, buy a single new gen card. Whatever is cheaper and gives the best bang for the buck. Got it?

wes

Bingo.

Buy one now. If it's not good enough for you, buy another one. If that doesn't make a big difference, send one back and wait for the next generation cards.

OR

Buy two. Install one and try it. If it's good enough send the second one back. If not, install the second one. If it's not much better, send the second one back.
January 19, 2007 2:18:46 PM

:trophy: :trophy: :trophy:

Thank you

wes
January 19, 2007 4:32:43 PM

Quote:
:trophy: :trophy: :trophy:

Thank you

wes

Why is this thread still going on?

I dunno, seems like people just keep posting. Any other thoughts?
January 19, 2007 9:42:29 PM

I've been considering the GTX for my new build (Note above thread) and I'm amazed that people have the money to do SLI with these. They're like 600 bucks!! Still, I suppose if you can and don't want to put it into ING @ 4.5% then what the hell? God for it! Seems similar to buying high-end sports car. Total braggin rights and great performance.
January 19, 2007 10:03:38 PM

Could it possibly be because you are still posting in it?

:wink:
January 20, 2007 6:18:03 AM

Good one.... got me, since you didn't respond to me after that.... so, damnit, I shouldn't have responded..... got me again. :wink:

Ok, I am done with the thread, other than making absolutley usless posts such as this one.

wes
January 20, 2007 6:44:30 AM

NO one is definately not enough at that resolution ..people when crysis comes out it is going to be utilising dirext x 10 hardware capabilities and IMHO i dont think a single gpu is gonna cut it at that resolution specialy with everything maxed out .

I am not gonna lecture on save money buy later ..because an average or even a hardcore gamer dosent game at that resolution ...you definately come in the Extreme gamer category 8) something like special operation unit hehehe

so definatly man sell the house kick the dog do whatever neceessary ..but that second cards gonna be sweeet QED infact buy 3 and mail me one ..ill be forever grateful

cheers
January 21, 2007 8:17:36 AM

You might want to save up for two R600's in crossfire for Alan Wake and Crysis at that crazy resolution if you want to even THINK about playable framerates. I think G80 is going to chug at that resolution even in SLI. From what I hear R600 has much more shader horsepower. G80 has 128 simple shaders (FPUs) for fragment processing, while R600 although has half the "shaders" they are much more complex. Couple that with a 512-bit memory bus and I'm pretty much convinced nVidia will be behind until G86 (refresh) is out. But what is known for sure is this:

G80 8800GTX = 86.4GB/s, 128 simple floating point ALUs, 570M transistors

R600 XTX GDDR4 = 151GB/s, 64 4-way SIMD ALUs, 720M transistors

Look what adding 80M additional transistors to the GeForce 6800 series did for it and you do the math...
January 21, 2007 2:17:43 PM

Ok, reality check here folks. I'm running a 7900GT on a mildly OC'd(2.67ghz) Core 2 E6400. I'm having zero issues running any game currently out. Nor do I believe I'll have any issues running games like"Crysis" or "C&C3" or anything. Then again, I'm only running 2X AA and 4X AF, but come on folks, tell me you can see the difference between what I'm running and higher settings at resolutions lower than 1600 X 1200...

So in short "die_for_me666", you could get a 8800GTS and it is going to be bleeding freaking edge for at least a year and most likely longer. You don't really need two or even a GTX. Save your money for an SSD, now theres something worth spending $600 on!!!
January 21, 2007 4:32:59 PM

My setup:

Digitalcaveman

15901 3DMark06 1-21-2007
EVGA 680i Motherboard w/Zalman Copper Cooling
Intel QX6700 C2E Quad Core @3.3Ghz OC stable 12x mult
OCZ Flex HLC DDR 2 PC 9200 2 GB Ram 5-5-5-18
BFG 1KWatt SLi Power Supply
nVidia Dual 768Mb 8800 GTX x 2 in SLi Mode
Western Digital Raptor 150GB x 3 in Raid 0 or Raid 5 array
Dell 3007WFP 30" LCD TFT Display
Bose AM7 Surround w/Onkyo Receiver

15,901 - if you have the money it's worth it. My system cooks.
January 22, 2007 12:06:23 AM

Umm, can you read? Or maybe I should be asking if you can count? Perhaps you should look over my post again before you start spouting nonsense. And for the record, @1440x900[native res of my LCD], the difference between 2xQAA 4xAF and 8xAA, 16xAF is hardly noticeable and not worth running that high considering the frame rate hit.

So know what you're talking about BEFORE you "blindly" make statements.
January 22, 2007 1:08:24 AM

I love the irony of your statements... Once again learn how to read, or perhaps I'm asking too much?

First, I didn't NEED to say anything about 1440x900 because it was implied by my "at resolutions lower than 1600 X 1200" statement. Maybe I'm a little slow, but 1440x900 is a res that is just a bit lower than the 1600x1200 res I stated... Or do I need to re-learn how to count? Hmmm...

Second, Everything from the 6600gt up to and including the 7900gt can do 8xAA. Don't believe it, check some of the reviews in this very site, or better yet check with Nvidia themselves.

Third, I just did a screen shot test on both my system and my roommates system[he has an XFX 8800gts] using both Quake4 and Oblivion, testing the diff between 2xQ AA and 8x AA[both being set to your suggested 16x AF]. Imagine what we discovered... Very little. Your "Jaggies" just aren't there @ the 2xQ setting. We then bumped the AF down to 4x and what do you know!? It made a slight difference @ a 7% to 14% fps increase. What was that about AF not being a taxing effect?

Fourth, YOU have no room calling ANYONE a moron. A blind dolt, such as yourself, should be more concerned about getting his head out of his bum and less about spouting fact-less garbage at everyone.

Last, get a clue and a life.
January 22, 2007 10:19:51 AM

Keep in mind that with a 8800 you may have to upgrade your power supply as well.
January 22, 2007 10:20:09 AM

I agree one GTX is enough for now as frame rates only drop to a minimum of about 26fps at max res and quality settings in Oblivion in outdoor scenes but if that is two slow for you a second might be worth it.

My opinion is that one does the job but if your a tight ass for perfection and performance then two is the way to go.

PS. Once Crysis and other DX10 games comes out it may struggle at those high settings with only one card but by then there will be even better cards out capable of handling it perfectly fine just using one card. For now I don't really see the point upgrading to that extent as there is no real use for it yet but for nice fps in current games like Oblivion one GTX does the job just fine.
!