Policy not pushing

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Hello,

I just setup a new server last night. The server is
Windows 2000 server, and the client is Windows XP pro.
Setup and OU, created the group and a user in the group.
Setup a group policy to remove the control panel. In the
security tab, I made it at first that authenticated users
had the policy apply, but then I removed it after it
didn't work. Then I added the physical group with the
user in it to the security and set the apply tab for the
policy. I did a secedit for the machine and the user. I
also rebooted the server and the workstation. I also
waited over 6 hours. The policy still hasn't taken effect
and the control panel is still their. What am I doing
wrong? If you need more info, let me know.

Thanks,

Chris

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

Just from the way it sounds, it sounds like you just
created a new domain, but don't mention joining the
client to the domain, and you are making a user account.
If the policy is a 'user based' policy, then you need to
put the user in the new OU. Modifying the permissions on
the GPO shouldn't be necessary--we implement policies
here without changing permissions on the gpo.

Hmm.. that brings up an interesting point.. should we be?

If the Control Panel policy is a 'computer policy' (I
don't think it would be), you may want to try a
gpupdate /force on the client workstation. Doing a
secedit /refreshpolicy on the domain controller won't
update the policy on the workstation for the user.

The Control Panel would most likely be removed when the
user logs in and his/her policy is applied. I don't
think the Control Panel would disappear in the middle of
the user's session.... but I could be wrong.

HTH,

Ken

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Ken,

Good point. I didn't run the refresh from the
workstation, but I did restart and a couple of times. I
did join the XP machine to the domain, and the user is
listed in the domain. I have it set like this.
OU,group,user. The OU has the policy.

Thanks,

Chris