Can't completely clear PIE cache

April 13, 2005 5:08:06 PM

Hi folks,

I can't seem to completely clear my PIE cache files for some reason. I've
been trying to free up storage space on my Dell Axim X5 Advanced that's
running WM 2003. Using Where Is My Ram (WIMR), I found that my Windows
directory was the largest in main memory (not a surprise since I install
everything to an SD card or Built-in Storage). What surprised me was that
the "Profiles" subdirectory was taking up the most space within the Windows
subdirectory. I looked around and the following two files are the main
culprits:

\Windows\Profiles\guest\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat = 896K
\Windows\Profiles\guest\History\History.IE5\index.dat = 640K

These two files together are 1.535 megs!

I go into PIE and clear history and delete temporary files and these two
files stay exactly the same size. I surfed around and the date and size on
them changes, but when I clear again they never drop below the sizes noted
above.

I've also tried:

1. Soft resetting and then clearing - no effect.
2. Setting history to zero days - no effect.
3. Running Windows\welcome.exe to reset PIE- no effect.
4. Using MemMaid to clear them out - no effect.
5. Brute force deleting them - can't do it because they are "in use"

Are these the smallest size these files can be? I'd really like to reclaim
this space but can't figure out how. I really don't want to have to do a
hard reset to get rid of these, so I'm hoping someone here will be able to
help me out.

Thanks,

Gary
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 2:51:53 PM

index.dat can't be deleted, it is been use by PIE.
u can work around it if u want to delete it.
the way to do it is by editing the registry and move it to storage card.
u need PHM register editing tool and change the PIE cache/history/cookies
parameters to 'storage card'.
(WARNING: by editing the registries may render your WM inoperateable).
reboot your unit and u can delete these index.dat in the
windows/profile/guest folders.
good luck.

"Gary Townsend" <GaryTownsend@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi folks,
>
> I can't seem to completely clear my PIE cache files for some reason. I've
> been trying to free up storage space on my Dell Axim X5 Advanced that's
> running WM 2003. Using Where Is My Ram (WIMR), I found that my Windows
> directory was the largest in main memory (not a surprise since I install
> everything to an SD card or Built-in Storage). What surprised me was that
> the "Profiles" subdirectory was taking up the most space within the
Windows
> subdirectory. I looked around and the following two files are the main
> culprits:
>
> \Windows\Profiles\guest\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat =
896K
> \Windows\Profiles\guest\History\History.IE5\index.dat = 640K
>
> These two files together are 1.535 megs!
>
> I go into PIE and clear history and delete temporary files and these two
> files stay exactly the same size. I surfed around and the date and size
on
> them changes, but when I clear again they never drop below the sizes noted
> above.
>
> I've also tried:
>
> 1. Soft resetting and then clearing - no effect.
> 2. Setting history to zero days - no effect.
> 3. Running Windows\welcome.exe to reset PIE- no effect.
> 4. Using MemMaid to clear them out - no effect.
> 5. Brute force deleting them - can't do it because they are "in use"
>
> Are these the smallest size these files can be? I'd really like to
reclaim
> this space but can't figure out how. I really don't want to have to do a
> hard reset to get rid of these, so I'm hoping someone here will be able to
> help me out.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gary
April 18, 2005 1:32:59 PM

Reply to message from "sohst" <sohst@hotmail.com> (Thu, 14 Apr 2005 03:51:
53) about "Re: Can't completely clear PIE cache": Pocket Mechanic, even the
trial version, will do this. The files will regenerate themselves but with
a 16kb size - until you start surfing again of course!

BTW there has been quite a bit of newsgroup chatter about the potential for
pocket mechanic to hard reset your device due to the developers over-zelous
(IMHO) anti-piracy code,but I have had a trial copy (which is not time
limited but limits the number of changes you can make) running on my device
for months with no ill effects - of course YMMV and all the usual
disclaimers apply!

Bye
anon <anon@fastmail.fm> Mon, 18 Apr 2005 08:00:22 +0100

!