Pentium D 830 overclocking automatically!

Natarian

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
I have a Pentium D 830, running a stock Intel fan and heatsink. I also have "Vantec Stealth SF 12025L, 12cm - Quiet" fan. I just updated my BIOS (which fixed incorrect speed values that were shown in CPU-Z and other). I now am testing my CPU with CPU-Z, and it shows when my system is loaded, that I am running at 3.575Ghz, when these D 830 CPU's are 3.0Ghz, also the FSB is clocking 930MB instead of 800MB as advertised.

Any enthusiasts think this is cool or a problem? I think I have been running it at this speed since I got it. And the PC has not had any problems. I wonder what you guys think.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Sounds kinda weird, what kind of mobo are you using with this cpu? Some boards have an option to auto overclock your cpu when the system is under load, if thats the case disable it immediately, it can cause stability issues with your system.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Or maybe it's just a reporting mistake of a program; some diagnostic SW report an increased FSB to justify the max frequency when the multiplier is droppen by C'n'Q or SpeedStep.

DennyCraneBL

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
Its probably C.I.A.2 which automatically overclocks the system under load, it can be set from the program or from BIOS.

Never heard of it being on by default though.

Natarian

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
Yes I think I have enabled CIA2 in the BIOS. What do you mean by "automatically overclocks the system under load"? thanks

Natarian

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
I have figured out that it is C.I.A 2 in the BIOS. I had it on "Full thrust" and theres all these other modes like sports, cruising, power etc. All this time I had it on full thrust mode, but really have had no problems when its been clocking 3.57Ghz all this time.

Does anyone have advice regarding C.I.A 2 (CPU Intelligent Accelerator 2)? Is it safe to always have it on full thrust? I have had it on most of the year, no problems so far. thanks.

DennyCraneBL

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
Unless you've already overclocked it should be fine.

I'd check the temperatures and make sure the RAM is able to operate at the new speeds, but if you've been using it like this for a while - it looks to be fine.

ZozZoz

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
Features like this or A.I. NOS from ASUS - always overclock within a safe range. They won't push FSB over the limit. Considering a full year of testing (albeit without you knowing about it :) ) its all good.