Hotu trouble? Can't get to the Knower of Places. :-{ (spoi..

Tags:
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
Share
July 12, 2004 2:44:00 AM

Hi there
I have been having trouble with this particular section and would
like to explain what I see and do, to get some input on how I may get
past this.
First, my game has been updated to 1.62...
On my first time through to this point I battled the 4th guardian and
saw a red pentagram on the floor when I was battling him. It did not
last for a long time at all. After the battle I couldn't go further. No
portal appeared as I have read elsewhere this is suppose to happen.
For the second try through I started at the start of the 3rd chapter. I
went through the chapter again making sure that I got as much info as
possible.
The first time through the chapter I did not rescue Aribeth or deal
with the tavern at all. When it came to waking the Sleeping Man I cut
him and I did not tell him anything about his love.
On the second try I did rescue Aribeth and I did go into the tavern to
deal with the swindler but I still dealt with the Sleeping Man by
cutting him to wake him. I did not see any pentagram appear during the
fight with the 4th guardian and I did not see it after either.
On a side note, I noticed that before I fought the 4th guardian both
times his band of thugs appeared to be friendly. On both times through
I killed off the thugs after the 4th guardian.
My story is kinda long and disjointed but I am hoping for suggestions
and or spoilers to get past.

More about : hotu trouble knower places spoi

Anonymous
July 13, 2004 6:58:50 AM

In article <110720042244006868%I_will_bite@the.neck>, Lestat
<I_will_bite@the.neck> wrote:

> On my first time through to this point I battled the 4th guardian and
> saw a red pentagram on the floor when I was battling him. It did not
> last for a long time at all. After the battle I couldn't go further. No
> portal appeared as I have read elsewhere this is suppose to happen.
> For the second try through I started at the start of the 3rd chapter. I
> went through the chapter again making sure that I got as much info as
> possible.

> The first time through the chapter I did not rescue Aribeth or deal
> with the tavern at all....
> On the second try I did rescue Aribeth

Those choices are not directly relevant right now to you, but might
become relevant or at least curiosities later on. So keep those saves.

I am not quite clear where you are when you find yourself blocked by
"the 4th guardian", and I'm afraid I cannot immediately match your
description of the battle in which you fell to my own memory of HoTU
maps. If you can give us the name of the map, for a least a rough
description of its layout, then that might help us remember.

Having said all that, I do dimly recall a very hard-to-spot door after
killing a nasty guardian. Maybe all you need to so is max yr party's
spot skills and camp on that spot until someone sees it.
Anonymous
July 13, 2004 7:01:49 AM

Lestat <I_will_bite@the.neck> wrote in news:110720042244006868%
I_will_bite@the.neck:

> Hi there
> I have been having trouble with this particular section and would
> like to explain what I see and do, to get some input on how I may get
> past this.
> First, my game has been updated to 1.62...
> On my first time through to this point I battled the 4th guardian and
> saw a red pentagram on the floor when I was battling him. It did not
> last for a long time at all. After the battle I couldn't go further.
No
> portal appeared as I have read elsewhere this is suppose to happen.
> For the second try through I started at the start of the 3rd chapter.
> went through the chapter again making sure that I got as much info as
> possible.
> The first time through the chapter I did not rescue Aribeth or deal
> with the tavern at all. When it came to waking the Sleeping Man I cut
> him and I did not tell him anything about his love.
> On the second try I did rescue Aribeth and I did go into the tavern to
> deal with the swindler but I still dealt with the Sleeping Man by
> cutting him to wake him. I did not see any pentagram appear during the
> fight with the 4th guardian and I did not see it after either.
> On a side note, I noticed that before I fought the 4th guardian both
> times his band of thugs appeared to be friendly. On both times through
> I killed off the thugs after the 4th guardian.
> My story is kinda long and disjointed but I am hoping for suggestions
> and or spoilers to get past.

I've been through there twice and each time the portal opened up UNDER
the guardian and is very hard to get to. Zoom in on the guardian and
see if you can spot the portal.
July 13, 2004 1:29:07 PM

In article <130720040258501584%richardb@sailmaker.co.uk>, Richard
Buckle <richardb@sailmaker.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <110720042244006868%I_will_bite@the.neck>, Lestat
> <I_will_bite@the.neck> wrote:
>
> > On my first time through to this point I battled the 4th guardian and
> > saw a red pentagram on the floor when I was battling him. It did not
> > last for a long time at all. After the battle I couldn't go further. No
> > portal appeared as I have read elsewhere this is suppose to happen.
> > For the second try through I started at the start of the 3rd chapter. I
> > went through the chapter again making sure that I got as much info as
> > possible.
>
> > The first time through the chapter I did not rescue Aribeth or deal
> > with the tavern at all....
> > On the second try I did rescue Aribeth
>
> Those choices are not directly relevant right now to you, but might
> become relevant or at least curiosities later on. So keep those saves.
>
> I am not quite clear where you are when you find yourself blocked by
> "the 4th guardian", and I'm afraid I cannot immediately match your
> description of the battle in which you fell to my own memory of HoTU
> maps. If you can give us the name of the map, for a least a rough
> description of its layout, then that might help us remember.

The map is called The Puzzel. The location in the map is actually the
last place in the map, seems like a dead end. The 4th guardian and his
band of Fallen Ones all appear to be friendlies until you hit one or
talk to the guardian. I am trying to find the Knower of Places.

> Having said all that, I do dimly recall a very hard-to-spot door after
> killing a nasty guardian. Maybe all you need to so is max yr party's
> spot skills and camp on that spot until someone sees it.

thank you for your tip. I am playing it whole 3rd chapters again and I
am trying to solve all of the quests I can get in on. Thanks again.
July 13, 2004 1:31:23 PM

In article <Xns9524E02E52B38myemailnet@204.127.199.17>, vette70
<my@email.net> wrote:

> Lestat <I_will_bite@the.neck> wrote in news:110720042244006868%
> I_will_bite@the.neck:
>
> > Hi there
> > I have been having trouble with this particular section and would
> > like to explain what I see and do, to get some input on how I may get
> > past this.
> > First, my game has been updated to 1.62...
> > On my first time through to this point I battled the 4th guardian and
> > saw a red pentagram on the floor when I was battling him. It did not
> > last for a long time at all. After the battle I couldn't go further.
> No
> > portal appeared as I have read elsewhere this is suppose to happen.
> > For the second try through I started at the start of the 3rd chapter.
> > went through the chapter again making sure that I got as much info as
> > possible.
> > The first time through the chapter I did not rescue Aribeth or deal
> > with the tavern at all. When it came to waking the Sleeping Man I cut
> > him and I did not tell him anything about his love.
> > On the second try I did rescue Aribeth and I did go into the tavern to
> > deal with the swindler but I still dealt with the Sleeping Man by
> > cutting him to wake him. I did not see any pentagram appear during the
> > fight with the 4th guardian and I did not see it after either.
> > On a side note, I noticed that before I fought the 4th guardian both
> > times his band of thugs appeared to be friendly. On both times through
> > I killed off the thugs after the 4th guardian.
> > My story is kinda long and disjointed but I am hoping for suggestions
> > and or spoilers to get past.
>
> I've been through there twice and each time the portal opened up UNDER
> the guardian and is very hard to get to. Zoom in on the guardian and
> see if you can spot the portal.

Thanks I'll try that. My character is a 24th level rogue with 28 spot.
Hope that is enough. Thanks.
Anonymous
July 13, 2004 6:41:08 PM

Lestat wrote:
> Thanks I'll try that. My character is a 24th level rogue with 28 spot.
> Hope that is enough. Thanks.

This is just a nitpick, and I'm sure you've got a great value here too.
But secret objects are found by Search skill.

It also kind of annoys me that it ignores whether or not you are in
Search mode. You get a d20 + Search skill vs the DC of the hidden
object either way. In the mod I work on for a hobby (who knows if I'll
ever finish it) I have changed it so that you only get your Seach skill
if you are in normal mode, and get an added d20 if you are in Search mode.
Anonymous
July 13, 2004 8:27:19 PM

Lestat wrote:

> The map is called The Puzzel. The location in the map is actually the
> last place in the map, seems like a dead end. The 4th guardian and his
> band of Fallen Ones all appear to be friendlies until you hit one or
> talk to the guardian. I am trying to find the Knower of Places.
>

>> Having said all that, I do dimly recall a very hard-to-spot door
>> after killing a nasty guardian. Maybe all you need to so is max yr
>> party's spot skills and camp on that spot until someone sees it.
>

> thank you for your tip. I am playing it whole 3rd chapters again and I
> am trying to solve all of the quests I can get in on. Thanks again.

As another poster mentioned already, the spawning location of the portal is
excactly where the guardian is standing. When he falls down dead, it's
possible that his remains cover the portal almost completely. To make it
visible, you will have to loot the corpse and let it fade away.

However, if the portal doesn't appear at all you may have got a bug. The
OnDeath functions are known to fail sometimes, caused by timing problems.
Perhaps it will help to screw down the video and sound settings temporarly.

HTH
Hans
July 13, 2004 11:31:24 PM

Lestat wrote:

>>I've been through there twice and each time the portal opened up UNDER
>>the guardian and is very hard to get to. Zoom in on the guardian and
>>see if you can spot the portal.
>

> Thanks I'll try that. My character is a 24th level rogue with 28 spot.
> Hope that is enough. Thanks.

That happened to me a couple of times and I never could get the portal
to appear. The solution was to draw the guardian away from his original
start point where the portal is. Then fight and kill him so it doesn't
matter where he falls. The portal will then appear in the guardians
original start position.

--
Maddog
======

In article <cd0t2t$sv5$04$1@news.t-online.com>, Hans Wein
<hwein_nospam_@gmx.net> wrote:

> Lestat wrote:
>
> > The map is called The Puzzel. The location in the map is actually the
> > last place in the map, seems like a dead end. The 4th guardian and his
> > band of Fallen Ones all appear to be friendlies until you hit one or
> > talk to the guardian. I am trying to find the Knower of Places.
> >

> >> Having said all that, I do dimly recall a very hard-to-spot door
> >> after killing a nasty guardian. Maybe all you need to so is max yr
> >> party's spot skills and camp on that spot until someone sees it.
> >

> > thank you for your tip. I am playing it whole 3rd chapters again and I
> > am trying to solve all of the quests I can get in on. Thanks again.
>
> As another poster mentioned already, the spawning location of the portal is
> excactly where the guardian is standing. When he falls down dead, it's
> possible that his remains cover the portal almost completely. To make it
> visible, you will have to loot the corpse and let it fade away.
>
> However, if the portal doesn't appear at all you may have got a bug. The
> OnDeath functions are known to fail sometimes, caused by timing problems.
> Perhaps it will help to screw down the video and sound settings temporarly.

Yeah, I did what yiou suggested video set back too the least amount of
eyecandy and also the sound settings, and all I see after the fight and
after looting the guardian is a faint yellow glow. Still trying all
suggestions. thanks
July 14, 2004 2:18:44 AM

In article <8wSIc.10$G16.4@fe1.columbus.rr.com>, everlast
<everlast@jmjservices.com> wrote:

> Lestat wrote:
> > Thanks I'll try that. My character is a 24th level rogue with 28 spot.
> > Hope that is enough. Thanks.
>
> This is just a nitpick, and I'm sure you've got a great value here too.
> But secret objects are found by Search skill.
>
> It also kind of annoys me that it ignores whether or not you are in
> Search mode. You get a d20 + Search skill vs the DC of the hidden
> object either way. In the mod I work on for a hobby (who knows if I'll
> ever finish it) I have changed it so that you only get your Seach skill
> if you are in normal mode, and get an added d20 if you are in Search mode.

Hi there
I looked at character stats and I can get search up to 34 and spot
up to 35.
Anonymous
July 15, 2004 9:28:31 PM

Lestat wrote:

> I am now wondering if there is a debug code that will allow me to open
> the portal.

AFAIK there are console commands for creating creatures and items, but not
for placeables.

> While in the debugMode I fought the guardian. I could see a large
> yellow square around the guardian so instead of approaching the guard
> I shot at him with a crossbow and got him to leave the large yellow
> square. I beat the guardian and then each of the fallen ones turned
> unfriendly just like you said would happen. But still no portal!!!

The yellow square is the trigger which makes the guardian hostile.

> Do you know the command to use in the console to advance to the next
> stage??? This would help out very much. Thanks

The command (in DebugMode): dm_jumptopoint [x] [y] [area tag], for you it is

dm_jumptopoint 30 30 KnowerofPlaces (attn - case sensitive)

HTH
Hans
July 16, 2004 2:19:43 AM

In article <cd69rh$n6h$00$1@news.t-online.com>, Hans Wein
<hwein_nospam_@gmx.net> wrote:

> Lestat wrote:
>
> > I am now wondering if there is a debug code that will allow me to open
> > the portal.
>
> AFAIK there are console commands for creating creatures and items, but not
> for placeables.
>
> > While in the debugMode I fought the guardian. I could see a large
> > yellow square around the guardian so instead of approaching the guard
> > I shot at him with a crossbow and got him to leave the large yellow
> > square. I beat the guardian and then each of the fallen ones turned
> > unfriendly just like you said would happen. But still no portal!!!
>
> The yellow square is the trigger which makes the guardian hostile.
>
> > Do you know the command to use in the console to advance to the next
> > stage??? This would help out very much. Thanks
>
> The command (in DebugMode): dm_jumptopoint [x] [y] [area tag], for you it is
>
> dm_jumptopoint 30 30 KnowerofPlaces (attn - case sensitive)

Well Hans thank you.. thank you.. thank you..

I have been reading forums for about 5 days now, cheat sites too to
find an answer to this problem of mine and it seems that the bug gets
posted but you never hear an answer to fix the bug.
It seems that from early on in the HotU game I was unable to
complete quests. I couldn't spawn the drow to show up for the mirror
shard battle back at shaori fell. That is the one that started it for
me. There have been a few others. I think because of that failure to
get the shard from the drow many other quests do not get completed.
Anyway thank you. I suspect that there may be more things going to
happen now that I fiddled with the ai. I am going to set the giene in
the bottle to be friendly to me and thats all. ;-=

Lestat. I promise not to bite.
!