Edward

Anyone has any idea if I can use command line to force XP pro into Hibernate
mode?

I went through the Command Line documentation but was unable to fine it.
Perhaps I have been looking in the wrong place.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

--
Ed

Meridian

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2004

http://www.sanx.org/tipShow.asp?articleRef=77

Haven't tried it myself but it's amazing what you can find on google.

"Edward" wrote:

> Anyone has any idea if I can use command line to force XP pro into Hibernate
> mode?
>
> I went through the Command Line documentation but was unable to fine it.
> Perhaps I have been looking in the wrong place.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards
>
> --
> Ed

Edward

Thanks all for your suggestions.

Will try them and keep the group updated.

"Edward" <hsmmsc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Anyone has any idea if I can use command line to force XP pro into
> Hibernate mode?
>
> I went through the Command Line documentation but was unable to fine it.
> Perhaps I have been looking in the wrong place.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards
>
> --
> Ed

Hi Ed,

You may try this shutdown.exe utility
http://www.budja.com/shutdown/

From that page:
Shutdown.exe is a simple command line utility that can:
Log Off the current user
Shutdown (Turn Off) the computer
Restart the computer
Hibernate the computer (note that hibernation has to be enabled!)
Put the computer into Stand By (Sleep)

-or-

See if this information helps, from David Candy:
http://groups.google.co.in/groups?hl=en&lr=&selm=ODOPjMQREHA.2216%40TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl

From Torgeir Bakken:

<Quote>

The following command line tools supports suspend (sleep) as
well as hibernate:

PsShutdown
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/pstools.shtml

Wizmo
http://grc.com/wizmo/wizmo.htm

Budja shutdown:
http://www.budja.com/shutdown/

</Quote>

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Edward" <hsmmsc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Anyone has any idea if I can use command line to force XP pro into
> Hibernate mode?
>
> I went through the Command Line documentation but was unable to fine it.
> Perhaps I have been looking in the wrong place.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards
>
> --
> Ed

rundll32 Powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState

Note I can't guarantee it will always work. As we're passing Null, Null, Null. to a function that expects values.

Platform SDK: Hardware

SetSuspendState
The SetSuspendState function suspends the system by shutting power down. Depending on the Hibernate parameter, the system either enters a suspend (sleep) state or hibernation (S4). If the ForceFlag parameter is TRUE, the system suspends operation immediately; if it is FALSE, the system requests permission from all applications and device drivers before doing so.

BOOL SetSuspendState (
BOOL Hibernate,
BOOL ForceCritical,
BOOL DisableWakeEvent
);
Parameters
Hibernate
[in] Specifies the state of the system. If TRUE, the system hibernates. If FALSE, the system is suspended.
ForceCritical
[in] Forced suspension. If TRUE, the function broadcasts a PBT_APMSUSPEND event to each application and driver, then immediately suspends operation. If FALSE, the function broadcasts a PBT_APMQUERYSUSPEND event to each application to request permission to suspend operation.
DisableWakeEvent
[in] If TRUE, the system disables all wake events. If FALSE, any system wake events remain enabled.
Return Values
If the function succeeds, the return value is nonzero.

If the function fails, the return value is zero. To get extended error information, call GetLastError.

Remarks
An application may use SetSuspendState to transition the system from the working state to the standby (sleep), or optionally, hibernate (S4) state. This function is similar to the SetSystemPowerState function.

Requirements
Windows NT/2000/XP: Included in Windows 2000 and later.
Windows 95/98/Me: Included in Windows 98 and later.
Header: Declared in Powrprof.h.
Library: Use Powrprof.lib.

See Also
Power Management Overview, Power Management Functions, PBT_APMQUERYSUSPEND, PBT_APMSUSPEND

Platform SDK Release: August 2001 What did you think of this topic?
Let us know. Order a Platform SDK CD Online
(U.S/Canada) (International)

http://www.uscricket.com
"Edward" <hsmmsc@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eK3dwjZDFHA.1408@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Anyone has any idea if I can use command line to force XP pro into Hibernate
> mode?
>
> I went through the Command Line documentation but was unable to fine it.
> Perhaps I have been looking in the wrong place.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards
>
> --
> Ed

I use xp home and to get to hibernate I go to start click
red box turn off , press shift key which will change stand by to hibernate,
click that and it will go to hibernate.
Hope this helps, Bill
"Edward" <hsmmsc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Anyone has any idea if I can use command line to force XP pro into
> Hibernate mode?
>
> I went through the Command Line documentation but was unable to fine it.
> Perhaps I have been looking in the wrong place.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards
>
> --
> Ed

Edward

Thanks Ramesh, your links are most helpful and they certainly work on all
the machines that I tested.

Thanks to everyone's contribution.

---
Ed

> Hi Ed,
>
> You may try this shutdown.exe utility
> http://www.budja.com/shutdown/
>
> From that page:
> Shutdown.exe is a simple command line utility that can:
> Log Off the current user
> Shutdown (Turn Off) the computer
> Restart the computer
> Hibernate the computer (note that hibernation has to be enabled!)
> Put the computer into Stand By (Sleep)
>
> -or-
>
> See if this information helps, from David Candy:
> http://groups.google.co.in/groups?hl=en&lr=&selm=ODOPjMQREHA.2216%40TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl
>

> From Torgeir Bakken:
>
> <Quote>
>
> The following command line tools supports suspend (sleep) as
> well as hibernate:
>
> PsShutdown
> http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/pstools.shtml
>
> Wizmo
> http://grc.com/wizmo/wizmo.htm
>
> Budja shutdown:
> http://www.budja.com/shutdown/
>
> </Quote>
>

> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Edward" <hsmmsc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Anyone has any idea if I can use command line to force XP pro into
>> Hibernate mode?
>>
>> I went through the Command Line documentation but was unable to fine it.
>> Perhaps I have been looking in the wrong place.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> --
>> Ed