ASUS Striker Extreme/Commando/P5W DH/P5B Premiumor EVGA 680i

PeaceLoving

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
1. Which is the best in terms of quality? ....if I had unlimited money? (of course I don't but I just like to ask this question! :oops: )

2. Which has to most "features/options"? for comfort..(gaming and digital home entertainment)

Asus Striker Extreme

Asus Commando

Asus P5W DH Deluxe

Asus P5B Premium (i think i read it somewhere that it is coming out soon)

EVGA 680i

:D

Tyhr

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
First off - I don't own ANY of these, so I'm going by what I've gathered from researching multiple forums, etc.

IMO - Striker is a strike-out. Don't get it even if money is no issue.

1. For "features and comfort", I'd say the P5B Premium would be my first guess. It's like a souped up P5B Deluxe (which is still one of the BEST overclockers out there). Probably the most stable.
But not good for SLI/Crossfire if that's your thing.

2. Commando is getting insane FSB's, and looks like an OC monster. May have some sort of Crossfire (SLI hacked) support - but since it't 16x4, it gets complicated.

3. If you want SLI - eVGA 680i is the winner.

Conclusion:
If you're buying today, I'd look at either the P5B Deluxe, the eVGA 680i, or maybe the DFI RD600 (hard to find).

If you're not buying today, then the Premium and Commando are worth looking into. (Commando is released in Europe, and difficult to find in North America ATM).

Original

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
Go for Asus P5W DH Deluxe. This is a mature mobo. 99.99 % BIOS bug free. Support for Crossfire. 100 % Intel compatible. Good overclocker if necessary. More expansion slots PCI and PCIE 1x. WLAN, Dual Lan PCIE. Very stable. :trophy: :D

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
a P5B Premium would trump the Asus P5W DH Deluxe in all categories, and it supports crossfire, oh and its guaranteed to support quad cores...and maybe even be updated for 45nm quad cores..

PeaceLoving

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
Thanks all for answering. I only like the "lights" and "alarm" feature on the Striker. But deep down, I know that the P5W Deluxe is the one that is already "mature". I also really like the remote that comes with it. I'm half/half gamer/movie buff. I don't intend to go SLI/crossfire because I'd rather get one good graphics card.

I don't know much about the P5B Premium or the Commando. Could someone give me some links to some really good reviews? Thanks.

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
The P5B Premium isn't out, just get the Asus P5B Deluxe, its a great board and is cheaper than all the other's you listed while still delivering the same if not better performance than the boards you listed.

Asus P5B Deluxe

knowsitall

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
I think the Asus Striker is the best bet. If you check 3dmark.com and check the hall of fame.. all the leaders have a asus striker. Also i have read many reviews about the asus striker and the bios has been matureing. new bios releases are fixing all the voltage bugs and what not. The striker is rising and has become a superior board when compared to a evga 680.

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
No reason to pay for that board, no one around here is going for world records...and if you are you wouldn't be asking for what board to use.

knowsitall

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
No reason to pay for that board, no one around here is going for world records...and if you are you wouldn't be asking for what board to use.

Ok but i also hear the Evga 680i has cr@ppy electronical capacitors on it that like to short circuit and blowup after a while, and since this is possibly tree the evga 680i is a horrible board for a long term over clocking solution (so i hear?? i wish this was not true cuz i myself was interested in the 250$ evga 680i). I hear that the 350$ abit 32x 680i or w/e it is has some type of reinforced capacitors that make it a great long term over clock solution main board. But as of now the bios is still version one and i read a forum were ONE guy having issues bumpin the fsb past 375 of a E6400 i think (that was one guy maybe he is a retard i dunno but 375 would be a decent 1500fsb on air anyways rite?)?? i dont have photographic memorey so i am not possitive if it was 375fsb/1500 (375 on a 6400 would be at3ghz overclock rite?? i am repeating my self again owell. which would be a decent overclock i guess so i dont know where my point is heading but this is just a forum and i m repeating what i heard some guy say). But right now if their was a reversion on the bios on the new abit motherboard i think that it would be lookin pretty nice with its hefty capacitors.

airalex1919

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2006
ok the striker may be a better board than the evga but it is defiantly not worth double the cost! i have heard only ONE case of a crappy capacitor that snapped off probably because someone was clumsy. also, when it comes to overclocking this is the best board according to many reviews, including being rated the best board on the market by maximum pc (my favorite magazine :wink: ) the point is if your going to buy a 680i board, the evga board is your best bet... not the striker