Copy a file with permissions

Hi

Does someone know a site where I can find the procedure
of copying an NTFS file from one folder to another and
keep all the permissions unaltered ?

Or does anyone know how ?

TIA

In article <267a001c4628f$a750eb00$a501280a@phx.gbl>,
anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> Hi
>
> Does someone know a site where I can find the procedure
> of copying an NTFS file from one folder to another and
> keep all the permissions unaltered ?
>
> Or does anyone know how ?
>
> TIA

Hi Bouga,
Not exactly a group policy related question ;) Anyway, when you copy a
file a *new* file is created, it inherits the permissions on the parent
folder, and you can't change that. The only case when a file retains its
permissions is when you *move* it in a folder on the *same* NTFS
partition/volume.

What specifically do you want to accomplish? You may need to script
permissions "synchronization" if you really need this.
--
Cheers,
Marin Marinov

"True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing."
Socrates

See the link below on how to use xcopy /o to do such. My experience is that xcopy /o
will copy only explicit permissions. You can however change inherited permissions to
explicit permissions by going into the security advanced page where you can remove
the inheritance flag at which time you will be prompted whether you want to copy or
remove existing permissions. Be sure to test out any method you use and have a
backout plan that includes full backups. --- Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;323007

"Bouga" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Does someone know a site where I can find the procedure
> of copying an NTFS file from one folder to another and
> keep all the permissions unaltered ?
>
> Or does anyone know how ?
>
> TIA

Solution: robocopy.exe (resource kit)