Display Problem With 8800GTS

PEH

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
I have been trying to solve a display problem with an 8800gts without success. I have the 8800 connected to an Olivia 39 LCD HDTV. I can get it to display a windows desktop but as soon as I launch a game the screen goes blank. The game continues to play because I can hear the audio.

I just read an article about some new drivers that said " There are good news though: this driver at least detects my LCD TV via HDMI (DVI) with it's proper name, 95 series drivers don't.
But some small issues still exist here as well, the TV MUST be selected first, then LCD panel else the TV just displays a blank page. "

Is there some setup in the control panel that I am missing that will allow the Olivia to work properly? I am using the DVI input because VGA stinks.

PEH

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
My problem is not with video, in the movie sense but, rather in games. To be specific GRAW, Company of Heroes and Dark Messiah. Whenever any any these games launch from the desktop the screen goes blank. I would really like to solve this problem. Please help.

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
My problem is not with video, in the movie sense but, rather in games. To be specific GRAW, Company of Heroes and Dark Messiah. Whenever any any these games launch from the desktop the screen goes blank. I would really like to solve this problem. Please help.
by any chance... you set your game settings to very high frecuencies ( for graphics )?

the blank thing could be aproblem of bad configured monitor...
some monitors go black to protect them from damage when some unsuported mode is set..

PEH

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
My system specs are as follows:

Mobo-eVga 680i
CPU-e6600
HSF-Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7
Video-eVGA 8800GTS
Memory-Corsair Twin 2x2048-6400C4D
HDD-Seagate SATA 320 Gb 7200.10
DVD R/W-LG GSA H10-NK
PSU-Corsair HX620
Case-Lian Li PC-777
Windows XP Home
Display-Olivia 30" MultiMedia LCD HDTV

I have set the monitor for its native resolution and 60HZ.

rumrunner42

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2006
did you try your old card? was it nvidia based or ati? i think its a mis configured monitor like home boy said. if it displays everything but games fine, then i would consult your television manual and figure out refresh rates and and then adjust accordingly. if that doesnt work, stick the original card back in that you had and see if you can get that to display correctly.

PEH

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
by any chance... you set your game settings to very high frecuencies ( for graphics )?

the blank thing could be aproblem of bad configured monitor...
some monitors go black to protect them from damage when some unsuported mode is set..

I guess I do not fully understand what you mean. I set the 8800 to set itself using "application controlled" setting. As far as the Olivia itself is concerned do you mean by refresh rate either the horizontal or vertical frequency? On the dvi output the manual says the horizontal freq @1280x720 is 60 and the vertical freq is 45. Could you explain this is more detail.

PEH

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
did you try your old card? was it nvidia based or ati? i think its a mis configured monitor like home boy said. if it displays everything but games fine, then i would consult your television manual and figure out refresh rates and and then adjust accordingly. if that doesnt work, stick the original card back in that you had and see if you can get that to display correctly.

I do not have an old card only the 8800gts. Could you explain in more detail what you mean by setting the refresh rate. It seems to me that when I have looked at that under system-hardware-device manager I was not given any choice other than 60hz. Please elaborate.

rumrunner42

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2006
Its hard to say without being there to see what all is wrong with it. Does everything work except games? Like...can you browse the web, play videos, dvd's etc? If so and the only problem you have is when you try to play a game, then it HAS to be something to do with your settings you have applied concerning the rendering. Go into the nvidia control panel and click on the advanced settings tab and see if there is anything amiss. If anything send me a screenshot of your settings to jeremy.griner@nellis.af.mil and i will see if i too can see anything that is wrong. Good luck man and let me know!

mpjesse

Splendid
refresh rate settings can be found under video properties and then "monitor". that's probably not the problem because if you can see windows, then the card is displaying the correct refresh rate for that LCD.

HOWEVER, in some games you can force certain refresh rates with in the game... same with resolutions. if the game's resolution and/or refresh rate is set above 1280x720 or 60hz, then you'll get no video. there are two solutions for this:

if the game has a safe mode, start it using that. then change the resolution to no greater than 1280x720 and/or 60hz

or

reinstall the game and make sure your desktop resolution is set to something low, like 640x480. the game <Should> use a lower resolution upon starting up. u can then go into the game and change as needed.

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
refresh rate settings can be found under video properties and then "monitor". that's probably not the problem because if you can see windows, then the card is displaying the correct refresh rate for that LCD.

HOWEVER, in some games you can force certain refresh rates with in the game... same with resolutions. if the game's resolution and/or refresh rate is set above 1280x720 or 60hz, then you'll get no video. there are two solutions for this:

if the game has a safe mode, start it using that. then change the resolution to no greater than 1280x720 and/or 60hz

or

reinstall the game and make sure your desktop resolution is set to something low, like 640x480. the game <Should> use a lower resolution upon starting up. u can then go into the game and change as needed.

the other way is erasing the configuration files of your game, like valvle's games ( half life 2 and fear.. ) if you erase them, the game should create the defaultones with very low resolutions and autodetect your hardware again.
dont forget to BACKUP FIRST!

needbe

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
I have a 42" westinghouse hooked up via dvi and even some lower resolutions will screw it up, and I have even seen that if something changes the video settings to fast, I have to cycle through back to my dvi source to get a picture back, though this happens with a cheap nvidia card on my linux box. Does it do it with different games? Try running the game in window mode instead of fullscreen.