new memory no go...HELP!!!

srennick

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2004
hi all,

i have an asus a7v600 mobo (c. 2003 - socket a - AMD xp3000+ processor) with the via kt600 chipset, flashed to the latest bios (1008).

it has three double data rate dimm sockets.

i formerly had 2 512mb pc2100 ddr dimms (i can't determine the brand) in sockets 1 and 3 (if i tried any other permutation, all i got on boot up was the post code for no or bad memory)

i decided to upgrade my memory, so i went out a bought 2 1gb pc3200 dimms.

i removed the old memory, and popped the new stuff in.

but it won't work...unless it's a single DIMM in socket 3.

i tried every permutation:

DIMMS in 1-3
DIMMS in 1-2
DIMMS in 2-3

i tried all those again after reducing the memory speed from auto (which I think is 400) to 333. once again, no go unless i just had one DIMM in socket 3.

now on the asus site, in the troubleshooting section, there's post (in stilted english) that states the a7v600 supports 2 1gb sticks of DDR PC3200. my mobo manual, though, has a table with a few brands of memory on it, including samsung (which is the new stuff i bought), but only up to 512. that table is titled DDR 400 one DIMM support only. there's another table called DDR 400 two DIMM support only, which has 4 more brands of ram (once again, only up to 512mb).

i also found a document on-line for socket 754 mobo (the replacement for the socket a) that ran a down a bunch of memory permutations for that board. in it, it talks about 2 different types of ddr ram dimms: x8 single rank or x16 and x8 double rank.

so i have two questions:
1) as per above, which type of ram do i have (my samsung sticks have 8 chips aside); on the chips the number is k4h510838d; on a sticker on the stick the number is m368l2923dun-ccc?
2) does anyone know any more tricks i haven't tried (since my next step is taking the DIMM back and spending the money on something more worthwhile...like the world of warcraft expansion...hehehehe).

sorry for the long post, but i'm a little frustrated!

thanks!

steve

Mondoman

Splendid
You can also try boosting the memory (DIMM) voltage in the BIOS by 0.1V or 0.15V to 2.6V or 2.65V. 1GB modules were not common when the board was designed, so it may not be compatible with some such modules. I'd try Asus tech support, or if all else fails, go with 3 512MB sticks for 1.5GB total.

srennick

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2004
hey mondoman,

thx for the reply.

i wound up taking the module back to the store, picking myself up a copy of burning crusade.

:D

i just could not make it work with 2 gb.

i'm due for an upgrade, probably some time next year, anyway, so i can live with it.

it feels a bit faster anyhow, since i went from 2x512 of pc2100 ram to 3200 (but then it could just be wishful thinking).

biggest performance boost i'm seeing is going from a 128mb geforce 6600 gt to a 256mb geforce 7600 gt...i can run titan quest now, for example, with all the bells and whistles on with only mildly annoying slowdowns.

once again, my thanks!

steve

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
It will flush out any and all settings, just encase something did not clear properly. It's just another option since the ram was not working.

srennick

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2004
well the ram's gone...

:)

but thanks for the suggestion blue...but i'm probably just going to wait another six months, then build me another system.

i'm usually about a generation behind, which sits better with my wife, who calls my computer my mistress in the basement, cuz it's just that much cheaper.

if i can lay my hands on another stick of ram, i'll give it a go

steve