Allowing users to "Unplug or Eject Hardware"

I have a GP which disables access to the control panel, however this stops people being able to eject their USB pen devices safely.

Is there a way to get around this without giving them access to the Control Panel? and if so how?

Thank you
Corey

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 16:09:01 -0700, "Corey Lynds" <Corey
Lynds@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a GP which disables access to the control panel, however this stops people being able to eject their USB pen devices safely.
>
>Is there a way to get around this without giving them access to the Control Panel? and if so how?
>
>Thank you
>Corey

%SystemRoot%\System32\RUNDLL32.EXE shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll

See tip 4565 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com

Jerold Schulman
Windows: General MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com

Deleted member 3023

I had seen that tip mentioned elsewhere, perhaps I was not clear as to the exact problem?

The users can't run any of the control panel applets, the shortcut you provided is already available in the system tray, but when they try to use it they receive:
"This operations has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer"

I've had a look at the GP and by enabling access to the Control Panel they are able to launch the "Eject or Unplug Hardware" mechanism but otherwise not.

Is there a setting I've missed in the GP which will let them safely remove USB devices? or is there another way around?

Thank you for your help
Corey

"Jerold Schulman" wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 16:09:01 -0700, "Corey Lynds" <Corey
> Lynds@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have a GP which disables access to the control panel, however this stops people being able to eject their USB pen devices safely.
> >
> >Is there a way to get around this without giving them access to the Control Panel? and if so how?
> >
> >Thank you
> >Corey
>

> %SystemRoot%\System32\RUNDLL32.EXE shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll
>
> See tip 4565 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com
>
> Jerold Schulman
> Windows: General MVP
> JSI, Inc.
> http://www.jsiinc.com

Have the users left click ONCE only on the taskbar icon, then left click
the message that pops up above the icon. This will safely disconnect
any USB jump drives and avoid the error message regarding restrictions.
We are using group policy to lock down the Control Panel and this works
for us.

Lena

--
lenahelm