DirctX10 Card with DirectX9c??

deadcells

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
Hi,

am looking at a new graphics acrd and have found a 8800gts at the same price as a x1950xtx. From the interactive charts on toms hardware... which seem to be having some issues... i've concluded that the 8800gts will out-perform the x1950xtx... or does it?

My other question is: can i use the 8800gts on windows xp with DX9c (cos i really don't want to upgrade to vista right now) and still get better performance than the x1950xtx? Is it better to go with the x1950xtx since my pc will hopefully take full advantage of it?

Thanx.

Neoseeker 8800GTS review

The 8800 GTS is a very quick card and for the money (expected to be over or around $450) does offer alot of features. As you've seen in the charts, performance is quite good even against the best of class from ATI. You did also see that it's performance in current games doesn't necessarily outgun the current heavyweights. Its worth noting that at the price range that is intended however, its hard to imagine a person choosing an X1950XTX over the 8800 GTS simply based on the performance and future proofing offered by the GTS. This card is sure to shine in future DirectX 10 games and anyone in the market at this price range would be silly not to consider this card.

Don't forget to check out the benchmarks.

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
i've concluded that the 8800gts will out-perform the x1950xtx

Yes

can i use the 8800gts on windows xp with DX9c

Yes

and still get better performance than the x1950xtx?

Yes

Is it better to go with the x1950xtx since my pc will hopefully take full advantage of it?

Not if the 8800GTS costs the same. What you could do...if your not in a rush...is to wait a couple of month on whatever you have till ATI releases their R600 card. Then you maaaay see a slight drop in price in the 8800GTS (dont take my word for it).

mlb14

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
If they're the same price, then you'd be better off to go with the GTS. When it says that it's a DirectX10 card, it means that it supports the features of DirectX10, not that it requires DirectX10 to work. The card itself is a certifiable beast.

So as for your questions:

1) It will out-perform the x1950xtx.
2) It will work with DX9c
3) Your computer will take advantage of the card now in that you'll get better performance from it than the 1950 and then when you're ready to upgrade, you'll be ready to take advantage of DX10 without having to upgrade to a card that is compliant.