SUS question

David

any ideas how can i apply patches on NT workstation using SUS? Will SUS able to do the patching if i update all the WinNT clients with something call windows installation 2.0?

Software Update Services requires Windows 2000 Service Pack 2 or higher.
Windows NT is not supported.

Oli

> any ideas how can i apply patches on NT workstation using SUS? Will SUS
> able to do the patching if i update all the WinNT clients with something
> call windows installation 2.0?

David

how about the new WUS? will it support NT? Is it free?

"Oli Restorick [MVP]" wrote:

> Software Update Services requires Windows 2000 Service Pack 2 or higher.
> Windows NT is not supported.
>
> Oli
>

> "David" <David@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > any ideas how can i apply patches on NT workstation using SUS? Will SUS
> > able to do the patching if i update all the WinNT clients with something
> > call windows installation 2.0?

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

Not that I'm an official say-so, but I would think
they're not going to be supporting NT on SUS. I say that
becasue they've been moving toward sunsetting NT, and
just haven't been able to without angering too many
customers. They want customers to continually purchase
upgrades and new OS's, not stagnate on NT.

I thought patches stopped coming out for NT, or at least
they were stopping the service packs past 6a?

HTH,
Ken

David

undestand that, but in my organisation there're plenty of winNT workstations, so got no choice but still try to find any effective way of updating patches to these machines.

"Ken" wrote:

> Not that I'm an official say-so, but I would think
> they're not going to be supporting NT on SUS. I say that
> becasue they've been moving toward sunsetting NT, and
> just haven't been able to without angering too many
> customers. They want customers to continually purchase
> upgrades and new OS's, not stagnate on NT.
>
> I thought patches stopped coming out for NT, or at least
> they were stopping the service packs past 6a?
>
> HTH,
> Ken

As Ken said, there's zero chance that WUS will add NT support. Microsoft is
ceasing support of NT Workstation soon. Once that happens, there will be no
new security patches coming out for it anyway, so the mechanics of patch
management won't matter any more for that platform.

Of course, the problems of being vulnerable with no patch availability is a
very real one. You can't expect Microsoft to carry on supporting products
forever and I think they've been reasonable in the length of time they've
supported Windows NT.

I don't use Microsoft Systems Management Server 2003, but it does have some
support for Windows NT Workstations and it does do patching. Whether it
allows you to patch Windows NT is another matter.

www.microsoft.com/sus

Windows NT was great for its time, but its time has passed. It's time to
move on.

Oli