64bit Questions

Koolguy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
I am looking to make my next pc fully 64 bit. I have a few questions.

1) I do not see a 64 bit option on the windows vista website, and am wondering if this is a separate product i may have to wait on? Or is every version capable of 64 bit if u have the right hardware setup?

2) As well, does having a Dual Core Intel Processor guarantee that I have a 64bit pc? (of course assuming I have a 64bit windows)

3) Are there any other hardware components I need to be aware of to have a fully 64 bit PC?

4) Do I have to buy all 64bit software now? Is that even made for home pcs?

qcmadness

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006

1) I do not see a 64 bit option on the windows vista website, and am wondering if this is a separate product i may have to wait on? Or is every version capable of 64 bit if u have the right hardware setup?

2) As well, does having a Dual Core Intel Processor guarantee that I have a 64bit pc? (of course assuming I have a 64bit windows)

3) Are there any other hardware components I need to be aware of to have a fully 64 bit PC?

1. There will be 32-bit and 64-bit Vista versions.
2. All Intel and AMD's dual-core offerings will have 64-bit support.
3. No. All chipsets supporting 64-bit CPUs have 64-bit support. But you may need to check for 64-bit drivers for your components.
4. No. But you will not benefit from 64-bit extensions.

the_stiffmeister

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
1)Windows Vista comes in 32bit and 64bit versions

2) Dual core CPU does guarantee 64 bit because they don't make dual core 32 bit CPUs

3) No

4) From what I understand 64bit Vista will support most 32bit applications

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006

I don't really think being completely 64-bit is necessarily something that's absolutely important. But:

1. Vista should have a 64-bit version (unsure, but pretty sure).
2. Check the specs. To my knowledge all current dual core processors run 64-bit instructions.
3. Again, don't know for certain, but you may run into periphrial problems with a 64-bit processor, but I wouldn't think that'd be a problem.
4. Nah, you'll be able to run plain old 32-bit instruction software. I think 16-bit software might be a problem though, but again, not sure.

Don't know why I posted, but hopefully that helps until someone knowledgeable comes along.

qcmadness

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
1) There are 32bit and 64bit version of Vista
2) All x86 duall core CPUs are 64bit(including Pentium D 8xx), except Yonah.
3) No component can prevent the 64bit computing on your 64bit CPU
4) If you can find buy 64bit software. It is very rare now, but it is optimised for 64bit OS and works faster.

@qcmadness
All Pentium D CPUs are 64bit
http://www.intel.com/products/processor_number/chart/pentium_d.htm

I have corrected it in time. :wink:

qcmadness

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006

I am surprised this was not already mentioned, but you MUST make sure there are 64 bit drivers for all your hardware. You cannot use a 32 bit driver when running 64 bit Windows.

Post #3 has pointed out that :wink:

obiwan05

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2006
More importantly, Vista is rumoured to only support SIGNED 64-bit drivers which will cause delays in getting new and/or updated drivers but increase system stability.