adm to redirect favorites problem

Hi,
I found an ADM template to redirect Favorites to a specific directory
and so far works fine. The only problem is that when I try to install
a new software using Group Policies when users login, it does not
install the application. I get an error on the mapped drive where I
redirected the Favorites, in this case is a H drive.
the template is this one:

adm file problem
CLASS USER

CATEGORY !!WEBPC
CATEGORY !!FLDREDIR
KEYNAME "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
Shell Folders"
POLICY !!FavReDir
EXPLAIN !!Help_FavReDir
PART !!FavDir EDITTEXT EXPANDABLETEXT REQUIRED
DEFAULT !!FavoritesDefaultLocn
VALUENAME "Favorites"
END PART
END POLICY
END CATEGORY ;FLDREDIR
END CATEGORY

[strings]
WEBPC="Custom Favorites Folder"
FLDREDIR="Folder Redirection"
FavReDir="Favorites"
Help_FavReDir="When enabled this policy redirects the 'Favorites'
folder to
the path specified.\n\nYou can use either a UNC or drive path"
FavDir="Path to where you want the Favorites redirected"
FavoritesDefaultLocn="%USERPROFILE%\Favorites"

Any idea why I can not install applications when this policy is
running?

Thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about redirect favorites problem

    Christian-
    What exactly is the error you get? It could possibly be a timing issue,
    where the mapped drive you are pointing the Favorites folder to is not yet
    available when software installation runs. Are you doing a user-assignment
    of the application using Software Installation? Does the problem go away if
    you publish the application instead and then install it from Add/Remove
    Programs?

    --
    Darren Mar-Elia
    MS-MVP-Windows Management

    "Christian" <caciliberti@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I found an ADM template to redirect Favorites to a specific directory
    > and so far works fine. The only problem is that when I try to install
    > a new software using Group Policies when users login, it does not
    > install the application. I get an error on the mapped drive where I
    > redirected the Favorites, in this case is a H drive.
    > the template is this one:
    >
    > adm file problem
    > CLASS USER
    >
    > CATEGORY !!WEBPC
    > CATEGORY !!FLDREDIR
    > KEYNAME "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
    > Shell Folders"
    > POLICY !!FavReDir
    > EXPLAIN !!Help_FavReDir
    > PART !!FavDir EDITTEXT EXPANDABLETEXT REQUIRED
    > DEFAULT !!FavoritesDefaultLocn
    > VALUENAME "Favorites"
    > END PART
    > END POLICY
    > END CATEGORY ;FLDREDIR
    > END CATEGORY
    >
    > [strings]
    > WEBPC="Custom Favorites Folder"
    > FLDREDIR="Folder Redirection"
    > FavReDir="Favorites"
    > Help_FavReDir="When enabled this policy redirects the 'Favorites'
    > folder to
    > the path specified.\n\nYou can use either a UNC or drive path"
    > FavDir="Path to where you want the Favorites redirected"
    > FavoritesDefaultLocn="%USERPROFILE%\Favorites"
    >

    > Any idea why I can not install applications when this policy is
    > running?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Hi, thanks for the reply.
    the error that I get is: Product: CCMS -- Error 1327.Invalid Drive: H:\
    In the event viewer shows: Source: MsiInstaller and the Event ID: 11327

    If it is a timing problem, how could I fix it?
    I am installing MSI packages with Group Policies, so when the users ligon it launches the new software installation. The application is "assigned" not published because the users do not have access to the Control Panel to install it by themselves.
    I use the Group Policy Management to apply policies and some of them need to be on the "Sites" and under the "User Configuration -> Software Settings -> Software Installation"

    Thanks again.
    Christian

    "Darren Mar-Elia" wrote:

    > Christian-
    > What exactly is the error you get? It could possibly be a timing issue,
    > where the mapped drive you are pointing the Favorites folder to is not yet
    > available when software installation runs. Are you doing a user-assignment
    > of the application using Software Installation? Does the problem go away if
    > you publish the application instead and then install it from Add/Remove
    > Programs?
    >

    > --
    > Darren Mar-Elia
    > MS-MVP-Windows Management
    > http://www.gpoguy.com
    >

    > "Christian" <caciliberti@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > > I found an ADM template to redirect Favorites to a specific directory
    > > and so far works fine. The only problem is that when I try to install
    > > a new software using Group Policies when users login, it does not
    > > install the application. I get an error on the mapped drive where I
    > > redirected the Favorites, in this case is a H drive.
    > > the template is this one:
    > >
    > > adm file problem
    > > CLASS USER
    > >
    > > CATEGORY !!WEBPC
    > > CATEGORY !!FLDREDIR
    > > KEYNAME "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
    > > Shell Folders"
    > > POLICY !!FavReDir
    > > EXPLAIN !!Help_FavReDir
    > > PART !!FavDir EDITTEXT EXPANDABLETEXT REQUIRED
    > > DEFAULT !!FavoritesDefaultLocn
    > > VALUENAME "Favorites"
    > > END PART
    > > END POLICY
    > > END CATEGORY ;FLDREDIR
    > > END CATEGORY
    > >
    > > [strings]
    > > WEBPC="Custom Favorites Folder"
    > > FLDREDIR="Folder Redirection"
    > > FavReDir="Favorites"
    > > Help_FavReDir="When enabled this policy redirects the 'Favorites'
    > > folder to
    > > the path specified.\n\nYou can use either a UNC or drive path"
    > > FavDir="Path to where you want the Favorites redirected"
    > > FavoritesDefaultLocn="%USERPROFILE%\Favorites"
    > >

    > > Any idea why I can not install applications when this policy is
    > > running?
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    Christian,

    Remembered drive maps are not connected until after foreground policy is
    done processing, and logon scripts run after policy processing as well (if
    you were mapping the drive in a script). Therefore if you install software
    at logon, the remembered (or script-mapped) drive maps are not available for
    use during that software installation.

    I can't say why the application installation is attempting to access the
    favorites folder, but it appears to be doing so and since the drive is not
    mapped, it fails. This is timing related, but you can't change the order of
    logon processing. You might consider redirecting the favorites folder to a
    UNC path, if you can make that work. Otherwise our Policy Maker Drive Map
    extension maps drives during policy processing, and the drives are therefore
    available to other foreground policy - which would also solve the problem.

    Regards,

    Eric Voskuil
    Policy Maker
    http://www.autoprof.com/policy

    "Christian" <Christian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > > > Shell Folders"
    > > > POLICY !!FavReDir
    > > > EXPLAIN !!Help_FavReDir
    > > > PART !!FavDir EDITTEXT EXPANDABLETEXT REQUIRED
    > > > DEFAULT !!FavoritesDefaultLocn
    > > > VALUENAME "Favorites"
    > > > END PART
    > > > END POLICY
    > > > END CATEGORY ;FLDREDIR
    > > > END CATEGORY
    > > >
    > > > [strings]
    > > > WEBPC="Custom Favorites Folder"
    > > > FLDREDIR="Folder Redirection"
    > > > FavReDir="Favorites"
    > > > Help_FavReDir="When enabled this policy redirects the 'Favorites'
    > > > folder to
    > > > the path specified.\n\nYou can use either a UNC or drive path"
    > > > FavDir="Path to where you want the Favorites redirected"
    > > > FavoritesDefaultLocn="%USERPROFILE%\Favorites"
    > > >

    > > > Any idea why I can not install applications when this policy is

    I´ve been dealing with a similar problem. I´m implementing a managed
    installation with a product called ManageSoft. In my scenario packages
    are installed on a machine level son the install can be done before a
    user logs on, but if many packages are waiting to be installed the
    user has already logged on before all packages are installed.

    I´ve also redirected the favorites folder to the N:\ drive ( users
    homedirectory ). When ManageSoft is installing packages that are MSI
    based the install will fail with error 1327 invalid drive n:\

    The problem is that ManageSoft is installing the package using the
    SYSTEM account and therefore it halts. SYSTEM account does not have
    access to network drives. This does not happen when a domain user runs
    the MSI package.

    My solution was to keep the favorites folder on the C:\ drive and
    replicate them to the N:\ drive ( backup ).

    I don´t know excactly why the MSI pack want´s to check the location of
    this folder but it would also happen if other User Shell Folders are
    changed.

    see
    http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=q107033

    KRON