adm to redirect favorites problem

Christian

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi,
I found an ADM template to redirect Favorites to a specific directory
and so far works fine. The only problem is that when I try to install
a new software using Group Policies when users login, it does not
install the application. I get an error on the mapped drive where I
redirected the Favorites, in this case is a H drive.
the template is this one:

adm file problem
CLASS USER

CATEGORY !!WEBPC
CATEGORY !!FLDREDIR
KEYNAME "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
Shell Folders"
POLICY !!FavReDir
EXPLAIN !!Help_FavReDir
PART !!FavDir EDITTEXT EXPANDABLETEXT REQUIRED
DEFAULT !!FavoritesDefaultLocn
VALUENAME "Favorites"
END PART
END POLICY
END CATEGORY ;FLDREDIR
END CATEGORY

[strings]
WEBPC="Custom Favorites Folder"
FLDREDIR="Folder Redirection"
FavReDir="Favorites"
Help_FavReDir="When enabled this policy redirects the 'Favorites'
folder to
the path specified.\n\nYou can use either a UNC or drive path"
FavDir="Path to where you want the Favorites redirected"
FavoritesDefaultLocn="%USERPROFILE%\Favorites"

Any idea why I can not install applications when this policy is
running?

Thanks.

Christian-
What exactly is the error you get? It could possibly be a timing issue,
where the mapped drive you are pointing the Favorites folder to is not yet
available when software installation runs. Are you doing a user-assignment
of the application using Software Installation? Does the problem go away if
you publish the application instead and then install it from Add/Remove
Programs?

--
Darren Mar-Elia
MS-MVP-Windows Management

"Christian" <caciliberti@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I found an ADM template to redirect Favorites to a specific directory
> and so far works fine. The only problem is that when I try to install
> a new software using Group Policies when users login, it does not
> install the application. I get an error on the mapped drive where I
> redirected the Favorites, in this case is a H drive.
> the template is this one:
>
> adm file problem
> CLASS USER
>
> CATEGORY !!WEBPC
> CATEGORY !!FLDREDIR
> KEYNAME "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
> Shell Folders"
> POLICY !!FavReDir
> EXPLAIN !!Help_FavReDir
> PART !!FavDir EDITTEXT EXPANDABLETEXT REQUIRED
> DEFAULT !!FavoritesDefaultLocn
> VALUENAME "Favorites"
> END PART
> END POLICY
> END CATEGORY ;FLDREDIR
> END CATEGORY
>
> [strings]
> WEBPC="Custom Favorites Folder"
> FLDREDIR="Folder Redirection"
> FavReDir="Favorites"
> Help_FavReDir="When enabled this policy redirects the 'Favorites'
> folder to
> the path specified.\n\nYou can use either a UNC or drive path"
> FavDir="Path to where you want the Favorites redirected"
> FavoritesDefaultLocn="%USERPROFILE%\Favorites"
>

> Any idea why I can not install applications when this policy is
> running?
>
> Thanks.

Christian

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi, thanks for the reply.
the error that I get is: Product: CCMS -- Error 1327.Invalid Drive: H:\
In the event viewer shows: Source: MsiInstaller and the Event ID: 11327

If it is a timing problem, how could I fix it?
I am installing MSI packages with Group Policies, so when the users ligon it launches the new software installation. The application is "assigned" not published because the users do not have access to the Control Panel to install it by themselves.
I use the Group Policy Management to apply policies and some of them need to be on the "Sites" and under the "User Configuration -> Software Settings -> Software Installation"

Thanks again.
Christian

"Darren Mar-Elia" wrote:

> Christian-
> What exactly is the error you get? It could possibly be a timing issue,
> where the mapped drive you are pointing the Favorites folder to is not yet
> available when software installation runs. Are you doing a user-assignment
> of the application using Software Installation? Does the problem go away if
> you publish the application instead and then install it from Add/Remove
> Programs?
>

> --
> Darren Mar-Elia
> MS-MVP-Windows Management
> http://www.gpoguy.com
>

> "Christian" <caciliberti@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > I found an ADM template to redirect Favorites to a specific directory
> > and so far works fine. The only problem is that when I try to install
> > a new software using Group Policies when users login, it does not
> > install the application. I get an error on the mapped drive where I
> > redirected the Favorites, in this case is a H drive.
> > the template is this one:
> >
> > adm file problem
> > CLASS USER
> >
> > CATEGORY !!WEBPC
> > CATEGORY !!FLDREDIR
> > KEYNAME "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
> > Shell Folders"
> > POLICY !!FavReDir
> > EXPLAIN !!Help_FavReDir
> > PART !!FavDir EDITTEXT EXPANDABLETEXT REQUIRED
> > DEFAULT !!FavoritesDefaultLocn
> > VALUENAME "Favorites"
> > END PART
> > END POLICY
> > END CATEGORY ;FLDREDIR
> > END CATEGORY
> >
> > [strings]
> > WEBPC="Custom Favorites Folder"
> > FLDREDIR="Folder Redirection"
> > FavReDir="Favorites"
> > Help_FavReDir="When enabled this policy redirects the 'Favorites'
> > folder to
> > the path specified.\n\nYou can use either a UNC or drive path"
> > FavDir="Path to where you want the Favorites redirected"
> > FavoritesDefaultLocn="%USERPROFILE%\Favorites"
> >

> > Any idea why I can not install applications when this policy is
> > running?
> >
> > Thanks.

Christian,

Remembered drive maps are not connected until after foreground policy is
done processing, and logon scripts run after policy processing as well (if
you were mapping the drive in a script). Therefore if you install software
at logon, the remembered (or script-mapped) drive maps are not available for
use during that software installation.

I can't say why the application installation is attempting to access the
favorites folder, but it appears to be doing so and since the drive is not
mapped, it fails. This is timing related, but you can't change the order of
logon processing. You might consider redirecting the favorites folder to a
UNC path, if you can make that work. Otherwise our Policy Maker Drive Map
extension maps drives during policy processing, and the drives are therefore
available to other foreground policy - which would also solve the problem.

Regards,

Eric Voskuil
Policy Maker
http://www.autoprof.com/policy

"Christian" <Christian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> > > Shell Folders"
> > > POLICY !!FavReDir
> > > EXPLAIN !!Help_FavReDir
> > > PART !!FavDir EDITTEXT EXPANDABLETEXT REQUIRED
> > > DEFAULT !!FavoritesDefaultLocn
> > > VALUENAME "Favorites"
> > > END PART
> > > END POLICY
> > > END CATEGORY ;FLDREDIR
> > > END CATEGORY
> > >
> > > [strings]
> > > WEBPC="Custom Favorites Folder"
> > > FLDREDIR="Folder Redirection"
> > > FavReDir="Favorites"
> > > Help_FavReDir="When enabled this policy redirects the 'Favorites'
> > > folder to
> > > the path specified.\n\nYou can use either a UNC or drive path"
> > > FavDir="Path to where you want the Favorites redirected"
> > > FavoritesDefaultLocn="%USERPROFILE%\Favorites"
> > >

> > > Any idea why I can not install applications when this policy is

I´ve been dealing with a similar problem. I´m implementing a managed
installation with a product called ManageSoft. In my scenario packages
are installed on a machine level son the install can be done before a
user logs on, but if many packages are waiting to be installed the
user has already logged on before all packages are installed.

I´ve also redirected the favorites folder to the N:\ drive ( users
homedirectory ). When ManageSoft is installing packages that are MSI
based the install will fail with error 1327 invalid drive n:\

The problem is that ManageSoft is installing the package using the
SYSTEM account and therefore it halts. SYSTEM account does not have
access to network drives. This does not happen when a domain user runs
the MSI package.

My solution was to keep the favorites folder on the C:\ drive and
replicate them to the N:\ drive ( backup ).

I don´t know excactly why the MSI pack want´s to check the location of
this folder but it would also happen if other User Shell Folders are
changed.

see
http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=q107033

KRON