App needs Admin rights

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

I have two apps that require local machine administrative rights to
run. This presents a security issue our management would like to
avoid. How can I run these apps without granting every user local
admin rights? (I have tried RUN AS but that does not seem to let the
app write changes to the registry, etc.)

Fran
2 answers Last reply
More about admin rights
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

    You might want to test the compatws.inf on a computer before applying it in
    production.
    See:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;269259&Product=win2000

    hth
    DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

    <Fran> wrote in message news:9mvse0lo9qn2f2csmvp5sbimabcj14bt87@4ax.com...
    > I have two apps that require local machine administrative rights to
    > run. This presents a security issue our management would like to
    > avoid. How can I run these apps without granting every user local
    > admin rights? (I have tried RUN AS but that does not seem to let the
    > app write changes to the registry, etc.)
    >
    > Fran

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

    Log on as Admin, export the Application keys from HKCU, and merge this .reg
    file during the regular user logon
    or
    Relax the permissions on the Application keys only.

Apps Microsoft Windows