App needs Admin rights

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
July 9, 2004 10:23:32 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

I have two apps that require local machine administrative rights to
run. This presents a security issue our management would like to
avoid. How can I run these apps without granting every user local
admin rights? (I have tried RUN AS but that does not seem to let the
app write changes to the registry, etc.)

Fran

More about : app admin rights

Anonymous
July 9, 2004 12:54:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

You might want to test the compatws.inf on a computer before applying it in
production.
See:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;269259&Product=win2000

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

<Fran> wrote in message news:9mvse0lo9qn2f2csmvp5sbimabcj14bt87@4ax.com...
> I have two apps that require local machine administrative rights to
> run. This presents a security issue our management would like to
> avoid. How can I run these apps without granting every user local
> admin rights? (I have tried RUN AS but that does not seem to let the
> app write changes to the registry, etc.)
>
> Fran

Anonymous
July 9, 2004 2:53:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

Log on as Admin, export the Application keys from HKCU, and merge this .reg
file during the regular user logon
or
Relax the permissions on the Application keys only.
!