Sign in with
Your question

Nvidia 8800 GTS with Dell 2407WFP monitor connection help

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 17, 2007 5:50:28 PM

Hi,
Ive recently upgraded my video card and monitor and would like to know if i should be using the regular dvi cable or should i go for dvi-d if possible to connect my video card to the monitor. the different cables are just confusing me. any help would be appreciated to get the best out of the 24 inch widescreen.
thanks in advance for your help :)  :D 
January 17, 2007 6:27:36 PM

Just use the DVI cable that came with the monitor.
Related resources
January 17, 2007 7:22:09 PM

The 2407 has ONE DVI port...use the cable that came with it...same setup I have, and it works just fine.
January 17, 2007 7:33:05 PM

It is HDCP, and it will work over the DVI port...no HDMI on the monitor, and not needed....unless you want to hook up a cable box or dvd player with HDMI, then obviously you can't.

EDIE: Last I looked the price came down since they released the 27" at CES too. It's $674 now, I paid $719 in October or so.
January 18, 2007 6:04:30 PM

Thanks guys for the help. im upgrading from my samsung syncmaster 191t, so im expecting a major difference :) , should i keep the 191t as a second monitor? since the 8800 has two outputs?
January 18, 2007 6:07:23 PM

Quote:
It is HDCP, and it will work over the DVI port...no HDMI on the monitor, and not needed....unless you want to hook up a cable box or dvd player with HDMI, then obviously you can't.

EDIE: Last I looked the price came down since they released the 27" at CES too. It's $674 now, I paid $719 in October or so.

you are aware of dvi to hdmi cables, right?

just making sure...
January 18, 2007 8:25:50 PM

Quote:

just making sure...

Sure, but when you throw HDCP into the mix...not all consumer electronics devices will WORK properly with an HDMI to DVI cable. I have two here that DON'T. They will only play unprotected content.
January 18, 2007 8:50:37 PM

Quote:

just making sure...

Sure, but when you throw HDCP into the mix...not all consumer electronics devices will WORK properly with an HDMI to DVI cable. I have two here that DON'T. They will only play unprotected content.

sure they will. DVI is just as capable of HDCP as HDMI is. cables don't do anything to the HDCP stream... or in other words, there's no such thing as an "HDCP" approved DVI or HDCP capable. the standard only applies to hardware. the only real difference between hdmi and DVI is...

the connector
hdmi can carry an audio signal

otherwise, the video signal sent over hdmi and DVI is identical. hdcp is encoded into the video signal. hdmi is capable of higher bandwidth, but that has nothing to do with the video signal being transmitted.
January 18, 2007 8:53:42 PM

Quote:
I think that whoever can afford stuff like blue-ray or other high-def content that need the hdmi port, getting a monitor with a hdmi port should be the least of their problems, especially when there are some pretty cheap ones

right. the trick is making sure the display is HDCP enabled. believe it or not, not all are. my 42 inch sony hdtv has an hdmi port, but no hdcp support!!!!!!!!!
January 18, 2007 9:25:00 PM

with a resolution of 1920x1200, 1080p support is implied. all lcd displays at that resolution are capable of 60hz.

but gateway is smart to advertise the 1080p "support" you're right, most oem's don't and people get confused.
January 18, 2007 9:43:27 PM

right... but i'm pretty sure that display supports 1920x1080. so it should be able to do 1080 without having to change the aspect ratio. i could be wrong though....

i'm pretty sure i'm not because my 19 widescreen LCD has a native res. of 1440x900, which, as you know is a little better than 720p. but my hdtv OTA receiver hooked up to it looks completely normal.... no stretching or anything. so clearly that display is capable of 1280x720.

so... i'm pretty sure that 24 incher can do 1920x1080.
January 19, 2007 3:00:34 PM

Doesnt the Dell30" just have 1xDVI (dual link) input, same as the Dell 24"? Only difference is you need 2x DVI (dual link) at the gpu end, the 24" doesnt.

What other people have forgotten to specify is to make sure you are using 1x DVI (dual link) cable to get 1920x1200 resolution as a single link cable will stop you at 1920x1080. Dual link does not imply that it is like the dell30" setup, the 30" needs 2xDVI Dual link (splitter @gpu end), you dont need 2x duallink, only 1x duallink.
!