dumb newbie questions...

Hi all,

I have been looking through some web faqs but I haven't found the answers
yet. I hope you guys don't mind answering some questions you've probably
seen a hundred times before :o). I have an HDTV-Ready television (panasonic
4/3 Tau series). I was told that in order to receive HDTV signals I would
need a separate tuner (salesmen called it a "set top box"). Right now I have
cable and no antenna. My questions are:

If I get digital cable, will I get HDTV signals through the digital cable
box without having to buy a tuner too? My guess is that a digital cable box
would act as a tuner and transmit to the TV in HDTV without any additional
equipment required. Is this correct? Could it be connected by the standard
cable connection, or would I have to use a different output & input?

Also, just out of curiosity...When I play a DVD (S-Video out to TV), I'm
assuming that the definition/quality is comparable or superior to what I
would get from an HDTV broadcast. Is this also correct?

Thanks very much for your help!!!!
:o)
8 answers Last reply
More about dumb newbie questions

    "blueheron" <brooklyncyclone@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    : Hi all,
    :
    : I have been looking through some web faqs but I haven't found the
    answers
    : yet. I hope you guys don't mind answering some questions you've
    probably
    : seen a hundred times before :o). I have an HDTV-Ready television
    (panasonic
    : 4/3 Tau series). I was told that in order to receive HDTV signals I
    would
    : need a separate tuner (salesmen called it a "set top box"). Right now
    I have
    : cable and no antenna. My questions are:
    :
    : If I get digital cable, will I get HDTV signals through the digital
    cable
    : box without having to buy a tuner too?

    ========================
    It depends. Not all "digital cable" has HD on it.
    Make sure your provider has HD and that you get an HD box from them.
    ======================

    : My guess is that a digital cable box
    : would act as a tuner and transmit to the TV in HDTV without any
    additional
    : equipment required. Is this correct? Could it be connected by the
    standard
    : cable connection, or would I have to use a different output & input?

    ==================
    HD will come from a component set of cables from the receiver.
    =====================
    :
    : Also, just out of curiosity...When I play a DVD (S-Video out to TV),
    I'm
    : assuming that the definition/quality is comparable or superior to what
    : would get from an HDTV broadcast. Is this also correct?

    ========================
    HDTV is about 4 times as good as any DVD.
    =======================
    :
    : Thanks very much for your help!!!!
    : :o)
    :
    :

    > If I get digital cable, will I get HDTV signals through the digital cable
    > box without having to buy a tuner too? My guess is that a digital cable box
    > would act as a tuner and transmit to the TV in HDTV without any additional
    > equipment required. Is this correct? Could it be connected by the standard
    > cable connection, or would I have to use a different output & input?

    Simple answer: you need an HDTV cable box from your cable company.
    You cannot use your existing box to get HD signals out to your TV. If
    you choose to stay with your cable company and get HD from them, you
    will NOT need the "tuner" or "set top box". The new HD cable box will
    take the place of that. You'll need to call your cable company and
    tell them you want the HD package. That will mean an increase to your
    monthly bill (maybe) and a new cable box.

    > Also, just out of curiosity...When I play a DVD (S-Video out to TV), I'm
    > assuming that the definition/quality is comparable or superior to what I
    > would get from an HDTV broadcast. Is this also correct?

    DVDs will play at a lower resolution than HDTV.

    "blueheron" <brooklyncyclone@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<KvOmc.33373$UG2.17883@bignews2.bellsouth.net>...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have been looking through some web faqs but I haven't found the answers
    > yet. I hope you guys don't mind answering some questions you've probably
    > seen a hundred times before :o). I have an HDTV-Ready television (panasonic
    > 4/3 Tau series). I was told that in order to receive HDTV signals I would
    > need a separate tuner (salesmen called it a "set top box"). Right now I have
    > cable and no antenna. My questions are:
    >
    > If I get digital cable, will I get HDTV signals through the digital cable
    > box without having to buy a tuner too? My guess is that a digital cable box
    > would act as a tuner and transmit to the TV in HDTV without any additional
    > equipment required. Is this correct? Could it be connected by the standard
    > cable connection, or would I have to use a different output & input?

    You have two options:

    1. Go out and buy an (OTA) Over-The-Air HD tuner (this connects to
    your existing atenna and will pull in all the local channels that
    happen to be broadcasting in HD in your area), this device is what the
    salesman was refering to as a "sit top box". If you want one be
    prepaired to spend a bit, they aversge between $400-$600.

    2. If your cable provider offers HD, you'll need a High Definition
    Digital Cable box (Digital Cable is not HD, but most providers require
    you to have the digital package and then they tag on HD, this is
    because the HD boxes also recieves SD (Standard Definition) digital
    cable). Cable isn't a bad route to go, but you won't get all the local
    channels. You will have the option to get a few subscription only HD
    channels (DiscoveryHD, HDNet, HDNet Movies, INHD, INHD2, ESPN,
    etc...), you wouldn't get these with an OTA tuner.

    > Also, just out of curiosity...When I play a DVD (S-Video out to TV), I'm
    > assuming that the definition/quality is comparable or superior to what I
    > would get from an HDTV broadcast. Is this also correct?

    No. but you can get excellent quality from DVD if you have the right
    equipment. First, you need a better cable. S-Video isn't good enough
    you should switch to component video cables (this will set you back
    about $20/6 foot cable), if your DVD player doesn't support component
    cables then toss it out and buy a new progress scan DVD player (some
    non-progressive scan models offer component out as well... with prog.
    scan you'll notice a difference on most sets). This setup will get you
    the best quality output DVD has to offer (excluding up converters
    which I won't digress into here) this will get you 480p (aka Enhanced
    Definition) which is much better than regular non-HD TV broadcast
    (about 3x the resolution actually). Also, if you set is widescreen be
    sure and go into the menu options on the DVD player and set it up to
    display in 16:9 mode.

    Many Plasma displays don't even support true HD (1080i or 720p)
    Ehanced Definition is the best they can offer on these sets all HD
    broadcast are downconverted and you'll notice very little difference
    between DVD and "HD" programming.

    On 7-May-2004, "blueheron" <brooklyncyclone@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > If I get digital cable, will I get HDTV signals through the digital cable
    > box without having to buy a tuner too?

    Only if your cable provider offers HD channels. My provider (Comcast) has 10
    HD channels. The rest are SD.

    > My guess is that a digital cable box
    > would act as a tuner and transmit to the TV in HDTV without any additional
    > equipment required. Is this correct? Could it be connected by the standard
    > cable connection, or would I have to use a different output & input?

    HD must be fed into your HD-Ready TV via its HDTV input. Generally this is
    either Component (three separate RCA-style plugs) or DVI. If your set is new
    enough, it may have both.

    However, without a doubt, your set also has several SD inputs (S-Video,
    compsite, etc.) These inputs are NOT HD. You cannot send an HD signal to
    your TV using these inputs.

    > Also, just out of curiosity...When I play a DVD (S-Video out to TV), I'm
    > assuming that the definition/quality is comparable or superior to what I
    > would get from an HDTV broadcast. Is this also correct?

    No. In fact it is much much LOWER quality than HD. First of all, DVD is an
    SD - not HD - format. Now, DVD can look really, REALLY good on an HDTV when
    played on a progressive scan DVD player and connected via component video
    inputs. As an example, My mitsubishi HDTV has one HD input and one other
    component input that can receive 480p or 480i (both of which are "SD"
    formats). The "P" means progressive. However, I had to buy a new DVD player
    when I bought my TV because the old player was not progressive.

    DVD connected via S-Video (or even component - if the player is not
    progressive) is 480i - meaning that the image is SD quality.

    --
    Chris

    Munged email. To reply by email (each "word" a letter):
    see jay bee are oh oh kay ee [AT] em ess en [DOT] see oh em

    Thanks very much, I really appreciate your help!!

    "FlyByKnight" <FlyByKnight@example.invalid> wrote in message
    > On 7-May-2004, "blueheron" <brooklyncyclone@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > > If I get digital cable, will I get HDTV signals through the digital
    cable
    > > box without having to buy a tuner too?
    > Only if your cable provider offers HD channels. My provider (Comcast) has
    10
    > HD channels. The rest are SD.
    > > My guess is that a digital cable box
    > > would act as a tuner and transmit to the TV in HDTV without any
    additional
    > > equipment required. Is this correct? Could it be connected by the
    standard
    > > cable connection, or would I have to use a different output & input?
    > HD must be fed into your HD-Ready TV via its HDTV input. Generally this is
    > either Component (three separate RCA-style plugs) or DVI. If your set is
    new
    > enough, it may have both.
    > However, without a doubt, your set also has several SD inputs (S-Video,
    > compsite, etc.) These inputs are NOT HD. You cannot send an HD signal to
    > your TV using these inputs.
    > > Also, just out of curiosity...When I play a DVD (S-Video out to TV), I'm
    > > assuming that the definition/quality is comparable or superior to what I
    > > would get from an HDTV broadcast. Is this also correct?
    > No. In fact it is much much LOWER quality than HD. First of all, DVD is an
    > SD - not HD - format. Now, DVD can look really, REALLY good on an HDTV
    when
    > played on a progressive scan DVD player and connected via component video
    > inputs. As an example, My mitsubishi HDTV has one HD input and one other
    > component input that can receive 480p or 480i (both of which are "SD"
    > formats). The "P" means progressive. However, I had to buy a new DVD
    player
    > when I bought my TV because the old player was not progressive.
    > DVD connected via S-Video (or even component - if the player is not
    > progressive) is 480i - meaning that the image is SD quality.
    > --
    > Chris

    That is true if you your cable provider has HDTV channels available and a
    set top that supports them.

    "blueheron" <brooklyncyclone@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have been looking through some web faqs but I haven't found the answers
    > yet. I hope you guys don't mind answering some questions you've probably
    > seen a hundred times before :o). I have an HDTV-Ready television
    (panasonic
    > 4/3 Tau series). I was told that in order to receive HDTV signals I would
    > need a separate tuner (salesmen called it a "set top box"). Right now I
    have
    > cable and no antenna. My questions are:
    >
    > If I get digital cable, will I get HDTV signals through the digital cable
    > box without having to buy a tuner too? My guess is that a digital cable
    box
    > would act as a tuner and transmit to the TV in HDTV without any additional
    > equipment required. Is this correct? Could it be connected by the standard
    > cable connection, or would I have to use a different output & input?
    >
    > Also, just out of curiosity...When I play a DVD (S-Video out to TV), I'm
    > assuming that the definition/quality is comparable or superior to what I
    > would get from an HDTV broadcast. Is this also correct?
    >
    > Thanks very much for your help!!!!
    > :o)

    If your cable provider has HDTV stations then they probably provide an HD
    cable box. I just got one myself the other day. My local TW only has about
    5 HD channels but they are nice.

    HDTV games lists and discussions
    http://www.hdtvarcade.com

    "blueheron" <brooklyncyclone@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have been looking through some web faqs but I haven't found the answers
    > yet. I hope you guys don't mind answering some questions you've probably
    > seen a hundred times before :o). I have an HDTV-Ready television
    (panasonic
    > 4/3 Tau series). I was told that in order to receive HDTV signals I would
    > need a separate tuner (salesmen called it a "set top box"). Right now I
    have
    > cable and no antenna. My questions are:
    >
    > If I get digital cable, will I get HDTV signals through the digital cable
    > box without having to buy a tuner too? My guess is that a digital cable
    box
    > would act as a tuner and transmit to the TV in HDTV without any additional
    > equipment required. Is this correct? Could it be connected by the standard
    > cable connection, or would I have to use a different output & input?
    >
    > Also, just out of curiosity...When I play a DVD (S-Video out to TV), I'm
    > assuming that the definition/quality is comparable or superior to what I
    > would get from an HDTV broadcast. Is this also correct?
    >
    > Thanks very much for your help!!!!
    > :o)

    "blueheron" <brooklyncyclone@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have been looking through some web faqs but I haven't found the answers
    > yet. I hope you guys don't mind answering some questions you've probably
    > seen a hundred times before :o). I have an HDTV-Ready television
    (panasonic
    > 4/3 Tau series). I was told that in order to receive HDTV signals I would
    > need a separate tuner (salesmen called it a "set top box"). Right now I
    have
    > cable and no antenna. My questions are:
    >
    > If I get digital cable, will I get HDTV signals through the digital cable
    > box without having to buy a tuner too? My guess is that a digital cable
    box
    > would act as a tuner and transmit to the TV in HDTV without any additional
    > equipment required. Is this correct? Could it be connected by the standard
    > cable connection, or would I have to use a different output & input?
    >
    > Also, just out of curiosity...When I play a DVD (S-Video out to TV), I'm
    > assuming that the definition/quality is comparable or superior to what I
    > would get from an HDTV broadcast. Is this also correct?

    Cable HD - depends on your cable system.

    some cable systems have a dozen HD channels, others ZERO
    and "DIGITAL" cable is not the same as "HD DIGITAL" cable

    so call your provider and ask
    the cable guys have special set top boxes for HD - connect to component
    inputs of HD monitor, set up for either 720P or 1080i
    The box converts everything to the output you choose.

    As for DVD... use the progressive scan component output of a decent player
    and it looks great compared to what you once saw on the analog TV

    BUT... watch a true HD movie on TV, put in the DVD and synchronize the play
    to the HD, and then flip quickly between the analog cable channel, the DVD
    and the HD cable channel.

    What you will see will shock you - the difference between the analog and DVD
    is about the same as difference between the DVD and real HD.
    And VHS tapes may be too painful to watch at all. And those "digital" cable
    channels that once looked pretty good will now be seen to be filled with
    nasty little artifacts from over-compression - some worse than others.

HDTV TV Cable Home Theatre