Maintenance checklist

Is there a checklist of maintenance that I should do periodically to my PC
in optimum working order?
9 answers Last reply
More about maintenance checklist

    "Geoff A." <geoffashton@DELETEdsl.pipex.com> wrote in news:uc4LkqgDFHA.1628
    @TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl:

    > Is there a checklist of maintenance that I should do periodically to my PC
    > in optimum working order?

    I can give you mine. First I have bookmarked update sites for ALL software
    on my computer.

    I check these sites once a month to see if patches have been released for
    any software on my machine.

    I do a total backup every two weeks.

    Once a week I do a disk scan and defrag and synchronize my clock to internet
    time. I also scan for spyware and virus.

    I do incremental backups daily.

    I have IE set to empty the Temporary Internet Files on exit and I have
    cookies disable except for session cookies and sites I frequent that require
    them.

    Bob

    As a comment to Fuzzy Logic's list, I stress the importance of keeping the
    disk defragged.

    "Geoff A." <geoffashton@DELETEdsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
    > Is there a checklist of maintenance that I should do periodically to my PC
    > in optimum working order?

    My only addition or comment on all of this is that BACKUP is at the top of
    the list. With a computer and your precious files that you cannot replace,
    best advice, always live as though disaster is right around the corner.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    > As a comment to Fuzzy Logic's list, I stress the importance of keeping the
    > disk defragged.

    Not neccessary - only need to do it once a month with XP - the file
    management system in XP is FAR superior to that of windows 9x.

    I respectfully disagree. I use a Set and Forget setting in my defragger and
    it monitors the need for defragging and takes care of it as needed.

    "Gordon" <gordonbp1@yahoo.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
    > Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    >> As a comment to Fuzzy Logic's list, I stress the importance of keeping
    >> the disk defragged.
    >>

    > Not neccessary - only need to do it once a month with XP - the file
    > management system in XP is FAR superior to that of windows 9x.

    NTFS may be able to cope better in a fragged state, but that does not take
    away from the fact that a drive should be defragged regularly..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
    > NTFS may be able to cope better in a fragged state, but that does not take
    > away from the fact that a drive should be defragged regularly..

    I'm not saying it shouldn't - what I am saying is that there is no need
    to do it anything like as frequently as was needed with Windows 9x -
    when I was using W98 I used to defrag once a week - now with XP I do it
    once a month, which is perfectly adequate.

    --
    Registered Linux User no 240308
    Just waiting for Broadband to complete the conversion!(9 days and counting!)

    Frequency is dependant upon activities that tend to cause fragmentation..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
    > Frequency is dependant upon activities that tend to cause fragmentation..

    All things being equal, you still don't need to defrag XP as frequently
    as W9x!

Microsoft Windows XP