Restricted group

Hi,

How do I add one user to the local administrator group in ALL machines in
the domain using group policy? I DON'T want to remove other users who are
already in the local admin group. I know I have to do something with Member
Of but don't know how. Thanks

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 22:58:16 -0700, "Chris Wagner" <so@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>How do I add one user to the local administrator group in ALL machines in
>the domain using group policy? I DON'T want to remove other users who are
>already in the local admin group. I know I have to do something with Member
>Of but don't know how. Thanks

See http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=320065

Jerold Schulman
Windows: General MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com

Chris,

This cannot be done with existing Group Policy extensions. As you allude,
Restricted Groups policy replaces the group, so you lose existing
membership.

You would have to write a script (startup most likely due to permissions
requirements) to do something like this.

Regards,

Eric Voskuil
Policy Maker
http://www.autoprof.com/policy

"Chris Wagner" <so@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> How do I add one user to the local administrator group in ALL machines in
> the domain using group policy? I DON'T want to remove other users who are
> already in the local admin group. I know I have to do something with
Member
> Of but don't know how. Thanks

Startup script would work well. Try " net localgroup administrators domain\user /add
". Be very careful though, as if that script also runs on domain controllers, that
user will be added to the administrators group for the domain. --- Steve

"Eric Voskuil" <voskuil@online.autoprof.com> wrote in message
> Chris,
>
> This cannot be done with existing Group Policy extensions. As you allude,
> Restricted Groups policy replaces the group, so you lose existing
> membership.
>
> You would have to write a script (startup most likely due to permissions
> requirements) to do something like this.
>
> Regards,
>
> Eric Voskuil
> Policy Maker
> http://www.autoprof.com/policy
>

> "Chris Wagner" <so@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > How do I add one user to the local administrator group in ALL machines in
> > the domain using group policy? I DON'T want to remove other users who are
> > already in the local admin group. I know I have to do something with
> Member
> > Of but don't know how. Thanks

Thanks for the help. Just wonder why MS doesn't think about this option with
restircted group.

> Startup script would work well. Try " net localgroup administrators
> domain\user /add
> ". Be very careful though, as if that script also runs on domain
> controllers, that
> user will be added to the administrators group for the domain. --- Steve
>

> "Eric Voskuil" <voskuil@online.autoprof.com> wrote in message
>> Chris,
>>
>> This cannot be done with existing Group Policy extensions. As you
>> allude,
>> Restricted Groups policy replaces the group, so you lose existing
>> membership.
>>
>> You would have to write a script (startup most likely due to permissions
>> requirements) to do something like this.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Eric Voskuil
>> Policy Maker
>> http://www.autoprof.com/policy
>>

>> "Chris Wagner" <so@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > How do I add one user to the local administrator group in ALL machines
>> > in
>> > the domain using group policy? I DON'T want to remove other users who
>> > are
>> > already in the local admin group. I know I have to do something with
>> Member
>> > Of but don't know how. Thanks

Then they'd have to rename the policy ;-).