Sign in with
Your question

Wish me luck, gents. I'm goin' in.

Last response: in Systems
January 17, 2007 7:02:48 PM

Thanks to all who have provided advice on components.

C2D 6300
Asus P5N-E SLI
2 GB Gskill
Antec Sonata II
EVGA 7600 GT KO
Seagate 7200.10 250 gb
Viewsonic Q19wb

Plan to start building in about an hour. First time builder but many upgrade adventures in past. Plan to bench test the MB/Ram/CPU before putting it into the box. Will keep you posted.

More about : luck gents goin

January 17, 2007 7:06:15 PM

Good Luck!
January 17, 2007 8:24:04 PM

Nice job on parts. Good luck!
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 17, 2007 10:21:24 PM

dont hook up the motherboard and test it out laying on the carpet.. trust me.. keep the motherboard on the static proof wrapper and on the box in which it came.
January 17, 2007 10:35:03 PM

Just take your time, check everything 3 times and 1st beer is AFTER you get a good boot to OS and check the system ops parameters[/u][/i][/b].

Good Luck
January 17, 2007 11:03:09 PM

GOOD LUCK, sweet build btw
January 17, 2007 11:20:08 PM

Too much to ask for clean post on first try huh?

CPU, Ram, vid card in. MB in case. Monitor cable attached. Power cord attached to PSU. PSU switch to on. Power switch pressed ---> CPU fan spins, front PSU fan spins. Monitor says no signal. After about ten seconds beep series is one long then 3 short. Bios central says that is no video card or bad video ram. Disconnect all. Reseat vid card. Remove stick of ram and change remaining stick to other channel. Restart ---> same result. Will continue to move ram around as all other connections seem solid. Can't see underside of MB with standoff clearance as I can't find any way to get that side of the case off (Antec Sonata 2).

Any thoughts?
January 18, 2007 1:34:33 AM

Quote:
Too much to ask for clean post on first try huh?

CPU, Ram, vid card in. MB in case. Monitor cable attached. Power cord attached to PSU. PSU switch to on. Power switch pressed ---> CPU fan spins, front PSU fan spins. Monitor says no signal. After about ten seconds beep series is one long then 3 short. Bios central says that is no video card or bad video ram. Disconnect all. Reseat vid card. Remove stick of ram and change remaining stick to other channel. Restart ---> same result. Will continue to move ram around as all other connections seem solid. Can't see underside of MB with standoff clearance as I can't find any way to get that side of the case off (Antec Sonata 2).

Any thoughts?

yah get another video card and test it.. even if it means u go and get a cheap 10$ regular pci (not pci express) video card. it would be better to have another pci express video card to test it out on to see if u video card is DOA or ur pci express slot mite be doa( dead on arrival) . but ur best bet if u dont have spare video card get a cheap video card for a regular pci slot and try that.. if not it could be ur motherboard maybe.
January 18, 2007 3:14:07 AM

Good luck. If you don't want your eVGA 7600GT KO to sound like a Russian jet, get an after-market cooler. :)  I have the same card.
January 18, 2007 3:31:52 AM

Good luck!

Anyone else think this title sounded vaguely gross?
-cm
January 18, 2007 4:35:27 AM

Have you tried both PCI-E slots (since this board is an SLI) board. Also there is a card to configure for SLI, is this set to run a single card. I couldn't hurt even if it is, to switch it. I read someone elses post (not too long ago) that they were having similar problems with an SLI motherboard and configured it to SLI (with a single card) and it POSTed. Something to look into.
January 18, 2007 10:41:44 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions folks. I thought about the slot issue and will try moving it to the other one. The mb manual says it is set to one card by default but I will recheck all that stuff later today when I have a chance. I also might look into the cheap tester card solution. Will get back to you.
January 18, 2007 11:35:34 AM

You got the SAME, EXACT (well, except the 7600GT.. and don't know about your memory but I'm getting DDR2-800 4-4-4-12) system I'm about to build this weeked once the parts get here.

I'm hoping for the best too... good luck to you too!
January 18, 2007 2:08:54 PM

You did attach the PCIe power connector to the vid card, right?
January 18, 2007 2:54:08 PM

Quote:
You did attach the PCIe power connector to the vid card, right?

7600GT doesn't have one. :) 
January 18, 2007 3:00:19 PM

Excuse me while I extract my foot from my mouth... Or should that be remove my foot from me keyboard? :oops: 
January 18, 2007 3:10:19 PM

Good Luck! Remember nice and Slow :D 
January 18, 2007 3:24:34 PM

Yeah take it easy, it'll be your first time right ?

Don wanna hurt anyone...

:p 
January 18, 2007 3:51:34 PM

Goodluck neibour.Just remeber it's just like building a model.All you have to do is take your time and make sure all the parts go where they are supposed to.After completeing build,but before posting,double check everything from connections to jumpers to cables.Last but not least,make sure you turn the power switch to on on the back of the power supply.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.644 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X EVGA 7800GT IN SLI
2X1GIG DDR IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR 1280X1024
THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120
January 18, 2007 3:55:51 PM

Hmm... sounds like your video card is DOA. I'd either get a cheapo tester as KnowsItAll suggested or just RMA your video card. Those mobo error codes are usually pretty accurate.
January 18, 2007 4:38:03 PM

Since you will be building computers from now on, I recomend getting a 10$ PCI (not -e) video card for testing. Will serve you well in future builds.
January 18, 2007 5:10:33 PM

Quote:
Since you will be building computers from now on, I recomend getting a 10$ PCI (not -e) video card for testing. Will serve you well in future builds.
What a new idea! Oh wait, it's already been said in this thread. :p 
January 18, 2007 5:23:36 PM

I know. But its worth mentioning again.

Spare parts for testing is recommended for all first time builders (cause you never go back to pre-built

Besides.... the internet hasn't had a new idea in 6 years... everything has been said, rehashed, and repackaged.
January 18, 2007 5:46:52 PM

You know what I would do, .... and, I don't know if anyone has mentioned this before once or twice, but, I'd get a $10 PCI card... And I'm not just saying that to rehash or repackage the things that have been said here or anywhere else on the internet before.... :lol: 
January 18, 2007 6:04:34 PM

Nah, use an expendable X1900XTX.
-cm
January 18, 2007 6:37:08 PM

Quote:
$10 PCI Card

Only 13 results... odd.

Maybe they cost $11.95.... :D 
January 18, 2007 6:54:02 PM

I'm about to build my first PC as well and I have an old comp with a Voodoo 2, will that still work in a nforce 680i mobo. Just in case :) .
January 18, 2007 6:56:10 PM

Quote:
$10 PCI Card

Only 13 results... odd.

Maybe they cost $11.95.... :D 
Or maybe we're visionaries that are going to change the world with our radical ideas?? ;) 
January 18, 2007 7:39:50 PM

Quote:
What a new idea! Oh wait, it's already been said in this thread. :p 

Stop bustin!

One other thing you can do is look for a store that has a good return policy. Either that or a friend with some old hardware.

All you need is that first "backup" card. After that, each subsequent upgrade will leave you with a hodgepodge of "spare" parts. Vid cards are the fastest to go obsolete, so I can see you either upgrading in teh future, or simply getting a whole new machine and only scavenging the HD and sound from your old....

Anyway, see if you can get a "temporary purchase" (good return policy) on a cheap card and see if that posts. If it doesn't, it is most likely your board. If it does, it is your card. Either way you have an answer!

Oh, a few other things:

An electric screwdriver can be your friend.

Get a small-screw storage container before you end up stepping on the ones that spill out of the bag! ;) 

Get a good set of comp tools (I have the small screwdrivers, hex drivers, needlenosed and all the rest from craftsman). They come in handy.

Save your packing boxes for a few weeks after installation (make it easier for RMA, just in case).

Hope all this helps!

And have fun with it! Sometimes building the rig can be as much fun as using it! (So long as it all works!!!)
January 18, 2007 8:14:33 PM

Quote:
And have fun with it! Sometimes building the rig can be as much fun as using it! (So long as it all works!!!)
True enough... it always makes me nostalgic when I build a new gaming rig. :D 
January 18, 2007 8:27:15 PM

Quote:

An electric screwdriver can be your friend.

until it shorts out and fries your processor, or strips the mobo mounting screws destroying the case, motherboard, and if plugged in, everything else.

(if you do go electric, do not exceed 20amps, or 5hp).
January 18, 2007 8:40:47 PM

Most important thing (that everyone else missed) is an anti-static wrist strap and the knowledge to not go near the inside of a PC if you're stood on carpet.
January 18, 2007 8:59:18 PM

except when working on CRT monitors. Wrist straps tend to kill you.

An alternitive is plugging in the powersupply and grounding yourself while working on parts.

or, touch the ground screw on an outlet.

Wrist strap is the best way to go though, ... but these work if your careful.
January 18, 2007 9:29:22 PM

You guys are a riot. I was thinking of getting a cheapo pci vid card and seeing if it posts, wadda u think? LOL.
Re: antistatic precautions, did most building while periodically touching the power supply which was grounded. Opted not to get the strap. Also had a dryer sheet handy (Bounce, I think) and periodically rubbed it on my hands. Mostly it has been so humid here recently (Florida) that static just isn't that big an issue. Doesn't seem to be the problem for me.

My mb will only support a single card if it is placed in the first PCI-E slot so I will have to grab a cheapy. Unfortunately my old box has an AGP card in it so I fan't use that. More later.
January 18, 2007 9:40:21 PM

Why don't you look around perhaps your parent's old computer(s)? You might be surprised to see an old PCI video-card in there.
January 18, 2007 9:42:36 PM

If you were in NM, i would give you one. I dont know how much shipping is, but i have a bunch of old ones around.

You might want to try a local mom/pop store. They should have used parts for sale.
January 18, 2007 9:54:08 PM

Quote:
Thanks to all who have provided advice on components.

C2D 6300
Asus P5N-E SLI
2 GB Gskill
Antec Sonata II
EVGA 7600 GT KO
Seagate 7200.10 250 gb
Viewsonic Q19wb

Plan to start building in about an hour. First time builder but many upgrade adventures in past. Plan to bench test the MB/Ram/CPU before putting it into the box. Will keep you posted.

Just built a very similar system (see my sig). Nice motherboard (motherboard chipset does run hot, about 47-48C which is hotter than my processor at 39-40C idle.

No real updates on the BIOS or drivers for the motherboard yet.
January 18, 2007 11:16:31 PM

Quote:

Just built a very similar system (see my sig). Nice motherboard (motherboard chipset does run hot, about 47-48C which is hotter than my processor at 39-40C idle.

No real updates on the BIOS or drivers for the motherboard yet.

Glad to see that about the Gskill working. It wasn't on the QVL but it has a good rep in general. Will try to round up the PCI vid card tomorrow.
January 19, 2007 12:25:54 AM

Bliss!!

The p5n-e sli has a little selector card slot between the two pci-e slots. it has to be placed one way or another depending on whether yopu have one or two vid cards in. i checked the little bugger and it wasn't properly seated. Remedied that, fired her up and straight to good post screen with cpu and all memory id'd.

Will begin placing drives and installing os tomorrow. Thanks for all the suggestions. Great community here.
January 19, 2007 1:03:16 AM

duh

lol.
Now stop that and build your PC.
January 19, 2007 12:28:47 PM

Nah, the community isn't that great. We may be supportive now but...

YOU SUCK! [/joking]
-cm
January 20, 2007 1:47:47 PM

DVD and new sata hd installed and correctly id'd at start. Changed boot order and now loading windows. Smooth as silk so far. Never done a clean install of windows so waiting for next major fubar to occur. I can feel your presence with me though so I ain't skeered. :lol: 
January 21, 2007 3:18:29 AM

Meh, Windows isn't that easy to screw up. Just do it.
-cm
January 21, 2007 11:32:24 AM

Thanks to all. Up and running without a hitch now. Can you guys recommend some good burn in testing stuff. Memtest? etc.
January 21, 2007 12:15:56 PM

Prime95 is a good one, puts stress on the whole system. TAT is less popular, it drives the CPU well beyond any normal usage.
January 21, 2007 4:03:51 PM

What do you plan on doing with it? Pick what you want to do, and select an appropriate benchmark.
-cm
!