WEP and Belkin F5D 8231-4 N

teetimer

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Hello,
I recently installed a Belkin F5D 8231-4 N Wireless Router. Works great on my 3 wired pc's on my network. The problem is with my wireless connection. I can connect to the internet with the Security feature disabled but when I enable the WEP security I can no longer connect. Belkin support was no help and I am supposed to hear from a level 3 tech.
Anybody here have any suggestions??

Thanks.

G

Try using WPA or WPA2 instead of "WEP". WEP is outdated and has more security holes than WPA. Search the 'net for "WEP vs. WPA" and you'll see what I mean. Several of us have also found that WEP simply does not work as well as WPA, even aside from the Security topic.

cliffomi

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Try using WPA or WPA2 instead of "WEP". WEP is outdated and has more security holes than WPA. Search the 'net for "WEP vs. WPA" and you'll see what I mean. Several of us have also found that WEP simply does not work as well as WPA, even aside from the Security topic.

I had a very similar problem to the OP, but mine pretty much relies on an actual solution that isn't the "solution" that you gave, Anonymous, so riddle me this:

I've been using a Belkin N F5D8233-4 v3 with no glaring issues for a year now, secured on a WPA PSK. Recently an issue has arised as thus: I have a Nintendo DS, and cannot connect it to my wireless network, as the DS can only connect to unsecured networks or those using WEP security. If I try to change y router to use WEP security of 64 or 128 bit, doesn't matter, the wireless gets disabled completely, and won't reenable.

You cannot tell me that the answer is to just stick to the WPA, because clearly all of the devices in my home cannot connect to a WPA, and even more clearly, why would Belkin give us the option to use WEP if it won't work when I try?

Does anyone know how I can enable my wireless after I do the "downgrade"? I'd really like to not try and steal my neighbor's bad signaled wireless whenever I want to use any WiFi option on my DS (nevermind that half the time it cant connect to THAT).