I am trying to eliminate some programs from the startup system, but when
I go to run, msconfig the System Configeration Utility window just
flshes up for a micro second and disapears. Any ideas anyone ?

Mike47

The utility may be corrupt.

Kelly (Kelly's Korner) has this fix for a corrupted system config utility:

Open a command prompt window (Start>Run type CMD). Insert your XP CD into
the drive and enter the following command:

EXPAND -R X:\I386\MSCONFIG.EX_ Z:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\BINARIES

This will extract a new copy of the MSCONFIG.EXE from the CD.