Error 51 Unexpected Keyword

Hey all.

All of the sudden I get this error while accessing one of our
container GPO. It said:

The following error occurred in
\\abp.com\sysvol\abp.com\policies...\adm\inetres.adm on line 158:
Error 51 unexpected keyword

Found: SUPPORTED
Expected: KEYNAME, VALUENAME, PART...ETC

The file can not be loaded.

Is this mean inetres.adm isn't loading? How do i get this error in the
first place? How do i get rid of it? Any microsoft guy/gal out there
could help to resolve this? I believe it has to do with Windows XP
being in the container where the GPO applies, but I do not understand
why.

We run windows 2000 server domain controller with only windows prof
2000 in the container. We might have one XP in this container..could
this be the reason why the error occurred?

Any help is greatly appriciated.
thanks,

That Error 51 is stataing that it is finding an issue with the ADM file,
possible corruption or XP SP2 was installed and then group policy edited
from that machine. If it was edited it could have updated the inetres.adm
file which has some expanded explanation that is too long for 2000 machines
to handle.

There is a hotfix availble 842933 that is not in a public article yet that
can be applied to Windows 2000 machines to correct that. If you wantedt he
hotfix you would need to contact Microsoft.

Or the other option would be to revert the inetres.adm file to a previous
version of the file from a Windows 2000 machine with the latest SP
installed.

--
Gary Mudgett, MCSE, MCSA
Windows 2000/2003 Directory Services

from your issue.

"bisonman" <nathan_858@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hey all.
>
> All of the sudden I get this error while accessing one of our
> container GPO. It said:
>
> The following error occurred in
> \\abp.com\sysvol\abp.com\policies...\adm\inetres.adm on line 158:
> Error 51 unexpected keyword
>
> Found: SUPPORTED
> Expected: KEYNAME, VALUENAME, PART...ETC
>
> The file can not be loaded.
>
> Is this mean inetres.adm isn't loading? How do i get this error in the
> first place? How do i get rid of it? Any microsoft guy/gal out there
> could help to resolve this? I believe it has to do with Windows XP
> being in the container where the GPO applies, but I do not understand
> why.
>
> We run windows 2000 server domain controller with only windows prof
> 2000 in the container. We might have one XP in this container..could
> this be the reason why the error occurred?
>
> Any help is greatly appriciated.
> thanks,

thanks for replying -

so is this mean I have to re-apply sp4 on my DCs? I'm trying to avoid
touching the DC except doing updates and stuff. So microsoft doesn't
provide 842933 for free? That's interesting...I wonder how many of us
out there experienced this problem.

I still don't understand how sp2 on XP machine could affect
inetres.adm file on the DC's GPO. I guess it is one of the mystery
only microsoft would know.

frustrated,

"Gary Mudgett [MSFT]" <garymu@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<#eUZ6PcaEHA.2340@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>...
> That Error 51 is stataing that it is finding an issue with the ADM file,
> possible corruption or XP SP2 was installed and then group policy edited
> from that machine. If it was edited it could have updated the inetres.adm
> file which has some expanded explanation that is too long for 2000 machines
> to handle.
>
> There is a hotfix availble 842933 that is not in a public article yet that
> can be applied to Windows 2000 machines to correct that. If you wantedt he
> hotfix you would need to contact Microsoft.
>
> Or the other option would be to revert the inetres.adm file to a previous
> version of the file from a Windows 2000 machine with the latest SP
> installed.
>
> --
> Gary Mudgett, MCSE, MCSA
> Windows 2000/2003 Directory Services

> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via
> your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit
> from your issue.
>
> "bisonman" <nathan_858@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Hey all.
> >
> > All of the sudden I get this error while accessing one of our
> > container GPO. It said:
> >
> > The following error occurred in
> > \\abp.com\sysvol\abp.com\policies...\adm\inetres.adm on line 158:
> > Error 51 unexpected keyword
> >
> > Found: SUPPORTED
> > Expected: KEYNAME, VALUENAME, PART...ETC
> >
> > The file can not be loaded.
> >
> > Is this mean inetres.adm isn't loading? How do i get this error in the
> > first place? How do i get rid of it? Any microsoft guy/gal out there
> > could help to resolve this? I believe it has to do with Windows XP
> > being in the container where the GPO applies, but I do not understand
> > why.
> >
> > We run windows 2000 server domain controller with only windows prof
> > 2000 in the container. We might have one XP in this container..could
> > this be the reason why the error occurred?
> >
> > Any help is greatly appriciated.
> > thanks,

I did re-install sp4 on W2k DC and it did not work. It still show me
the error. What should I do now?

I have 2 DCs and I re-applied sp4 on the first DC. Then try to open
the GPO but still error. So I didn't bother to try to re-apply sp4 on
the second dc.

any help is appreicate it.

nathan_858@yahoo.com (bisonman) wrote in message news:<4cb37683.0407260811.45b674d6@posting.google.com>...
> thanks for replying -
>
> so is this mean I have to re-apply sp4 on my DCs? I'm trying to avoid
> touching the DC except doing updates and stuff. So microsoft doesn't
> provide 842933 for free? That's interesting...I wonder how many of us
> out there experienced this problem.
>
> I still don't understand how sp2 on XP machine could affect
> inetres.adm file on the DC's GPO. I guess it is one of the mystery
> only microsoft would know.
>
> frustrated,
>
> "Gary Mudgett [MSFT]" <garymu@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<#eUZ6PcaEHA.2340@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>...
> > That Error 51 is stataing that it is finding an issue with the ADM file,
> > possible corruption or XP SP2 was installed and then group policy edited
> > from that machine. If it was edited it could have updated the inetres.adm
> > file which has some expanded explanation that is too long for 2000 machines
> > to handle.
> >
> > There is a hotfix availble 842933 that is not in a public article yet that
> > can be applied to Windows 2000 machines to correct that. If you wantedt he
> > hotfix you would need to contact Microsoft.
> >
> > Or the other option would be to revert the inetres.adm file to a previous
> > version of the file from a Windows 2000 machine with the latest SP
> > installed.
> >
> > --
> > Gary Mudgett, MCSE, MCSA
> > Windows 2000/2003 Directory Services

> > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via
> > your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit
> > from your issue.
> >
> > "bisonman" <nathan_858@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > Hey all.
> > >
> > > All of the sudden I get this error while accessing one of our
> > > container GPO. It said:
> > >
> > > The following error occurred in
> > > \\abp.com\sysvol\abp.com\policies...\adm\inetres.adm on line 158:
> > > Error 51 unexpected keyword
> > >
> > > Found: SUPPORTED
> > > Expected: KEYNAME, VALUENAME, PART...ETC
> > >
> > > The file can not be loaded.
> > >
> > > Is this mean inetres.adm isn't loading? How do i get this error in the
> > > first place? How do i get rid of it? Any microsoft guy/gal out there
> > > could help to resolve this? I believe it has to do with Windows XP
> > > being in the container where the GPO applies, but I do not understand
> > > why.
> > >
> > > We run windows 2000 server domain controller with only windows prof
> > > 2000 in the container. We might have one XP in this container..could
> > > this be the reason why the error occurred?
> > >
> > > Any help is greatly appriciated.
> > > thanks,

jeremy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Copy the inetres.adm from the c:\winnt\inf directory over the top of
the one that seems to be corrupt in the
\\abp.com\sysvol\abp.com\policies...\adm\ folder.

As Gary asked, did you use the GPMC from an XP machine to edit it?

When ever you open a group policy to edit it, it will refresh the
adm's with newer ones from the C:\winnt\inf or C:\windows\inf folder.
So if you openned it up from a machine running Windows XP service pack
2, this could explain your issue.

By the way...all hotfixes are free. You simply have to call them and
ask for it. This is so that they can log it and keep control of who is
using it during the testing stages.

Regards,
Jeremy.

nathan_858@yahoo.com (bisonman) wrote in message news:<4cb37683.0408011957.4ddc9c28@posting.google.com>...
> I did re-install sp4 on W2k DC and it did not work. It still show me
> the error. What should I do now?
>
> I have 2 DCs and I re-applied sp4 on the first DC. Then try to open
> the GPO but still error. So I didn't bother to try to re-apply sp4 on
> the second dc.
>
> any help is appreicate it.

> nathan_858@yahoo.com (bisonman) wrote in message news:<4cb37683.0407260811.45b674d6@posting.google.com>...
> > thanks for replying -
> >
> > so is this mean I have to re-apply sp4 on my DCs? I'm trying to avoid
> > touching the DC except doing updates and stuff. So microsoft doesn't
> > provide 842933 for free? That's interesting...I wonder how many of us
> > out there experienced this problem.
> >
> > I still don't understand how sp2 on XP machine could affect
> > inetres.adm file on the DC's GPO. I guess it is one of the mystery
> > only microsoft would know.
> >
> > frustrated,
> >
> > "Gary Mudgett [MSFT]" <garymu@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<#eUZ6PcaEHA.2340@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>...
> > > That Error 51 is stataing that it is finding an issue with the ADM file,
> > > possible corruption or XP SP2 was installed and then group policy edited
> > > from that machine. If it was edited it could have updated the inetres.adm
> > > file which has some expanded explanation that is too long for 2000 machines
> > > to handle.
> > >
> > > There is a hotfix availble 842933 that is not in a public article yet that
> > > can be applied to Windows 2000 machines to correct that. If you wantedt he
> > > hotfix you would need to contact Microsoft.
> > >
> > > Or the other option would be to revert the inetres.adm file to a previous
> > > version of the file from a Windows 2000 machine with the latest SP
> > > installed.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Gary Mudgett, MCSE, MCSA
> > > Windows 2000/2003 Directory Services
> > >
> > > =====================================================
> > > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via
> > > your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit
> > > from your issue.
> > > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
> > >
> > > "bisonman" <nathan_858@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I saw the same thing except it said
Found #If
Expected : CLASS,CATEGORY, [strings]

Why would it fail on the "#if version <= 2" statement? Its normal. Its
expected. its in other ADM templates. I can't see any obvious errors in the
rest of the ADm file other than the long String statements.

I am just curious. I have already fixed it by back revving the ADM files.