Assign user for full previledge for software installation

I try to created an user using GPO and gave him or her
with full previledge just to install software, not doing
any administrator's job, but not give him the
administrator's right, I know if assign the power user
right, he can not install MS office, is anyway we can do
it in GPO?

Thanks.

Lillian

Have you tried configuring "always install with elevated priveleges". This
setting can be configured in a GPO. I've pasted information about it below.

Always install with elevated privileges
Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows
Installer

Description
Directs Windows Installer to use system permissions when it installs any
program on the system.

This policy extends elevated privileges to all programs. These privileges
are usually reserved for programs that have been assigned to the user
(offered on the desktop), assigned to the computer (installed
automatically), or made available in Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.
This policy lets users install programs which require access to directories
that the user might not have permission to view or change, including
directories on highly restricted computers.

If you disable this policy or do not configure it, the system applies the
current user's permissions when it installs programs that a system
administrator does not distribute or offer.

Caution

Skilled users can take advantage of the permissions this policy grants to
change their privileges and gain permanent access to restricted files and
folders. Note that the User Configuration version of this policy is not
guaranteed to be secure.

Important

This policy appears both in the Computer Configuration and User
Configuration folders. To make this policy effective, you must enable the
policy in both folders.

--
Tim Hines, MCSE, MCSA
Windows 2000 Directory Services

from your issue.

"Lillian" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I try to created an user using GPO and gave him or her
> with full previledge just to install software, not doing
> any administrator's job, but not give him the
> administrator's right, I know if assign the power user
> right, he can not install MS office, is anyway we can do
> it in GPO?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Lillian

begin 666 caution.gif
M1TE&.#EA"@`*`)'_`,# P/\``'\``````"'Y! $`````+ `````*``H```:)
<W "&.&$AC&H"BL@L/(NJE3@@R(V,2:(G6 ``.P``
`
end

begin 666 important.gif
M1TE&.#EA"@`*`)'_````_P``@,# P)F9F2'Y! $```(`+ `````*``H```(=
?E!6G"+D!1%-PB#$9L'A"$('9)P:6`4GFTYR/*Q0`.P``
`
end

Tim:

I try it your way created an GPO, I created an username:
test, he is only domain users, after I created GPO, I run
gpupdate, then login as test, then password, then try to
install one of our software call VNC, it say " Setup was
unable to create the directory "c:\program files\ReakVNC"
Error5: Access is denied.

What should I do.

thanks.

Lillian

confers no rights.

>"Lillian" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>> I try to created an user using GPO and gave him or her
>> with full previledge just to install software, not
doing
>> any administrator's job, but not give him the
>> administrator's right, I know if assign the power user
>> right, he can not install MS office, is anyway we can
do
>> it in GPO?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Lillian

Guess this policy covers only programs distributed as msi packages. Could be
wrong here though...

Al.