Custom ADM File

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
July 14, 2004 4:19:27 AM

I am trying to create a custom ADM file and when I change
the KEYNAME value to the required one to change, it no
longer shows in Group Policy Editor. Two KEYNAME values
are shown, it only appears when the "colon ed" line is
active.

Attached adm file

CLASS MACHINE

CATEGORY !!categoryname

CATEGORY !!Home
; KEYNAME "SOFTWARE\Policies\System"
KEYNAME "SOFTWARE\Compaq\Easy Access
Buttons\Schemes\Compaq\2"
POLICY !!policyname
PART !!labeltext EDITTEXT REQUIRED
VALUENAME "Assignment"
END PART
END POLICY
END CATEGORY
END CATEGORY

[strings]

categoryname="COMPAQ"
Home="Home Button"
policyname="Home URL"
explaintext="This policy disables the autoplay feature on
the selected drive(s)"
labeltext="URL"

More about : custom adm file

Anonymous
July 14, 2004 5:05:26 PM

Group Policy editor by default hides policies that modify registry values
outside of the 4 special policy keys. In order for you to see the policy
you need to do the following:

On Windows 2000:
1. Select Administrative Templates
2. Under the View menu at the top remove the check from "Show policies only"

On Windows XP/2003
1. Select Administrative Templates
2. Under the View menu at the top, click Filtering
3. Uncheck "Only show policy settings that can be fully managed"
Note: anytime this policy is edited you will need to remove that check to
see it.

--
Gary Mudgett, MCSE, MCSA
Windows 2000/2003 Directory Services

from your issue.

"Martin Powell" <martin.powell@itnetplc.com> wrote in message
> I am trying to create a custom ADM file and when I change
> the KEYNAME value to the required one to change, it no
> longer shows in Group Policy Editor. Two KEYNAME values
> are shown, it only appears when the "colon ed" line is
> active.
>
> Attached adm file
>
> CLASS MACHINE
>
> CATEGORY !!categoryname
>
> CATEGORY !!Home
> ; KEYNAME "SOFTWARE\Policies\System"
> KEYNAME "SOFTWARE\Compaq\Easy Access
> Buttons\Schemes\Compaq\2"
> POLICY !!policyname
> PART !!labeltext EDITTEXT REQUIRED
> VALUENAME "Assignment"
> END PART
> END POLICY
> END CATEGORY
> END CATEGORY
>
> [strings]
>
> categoryname="COMPAQ"
> Home="Home Button"
> policyname="Home URL"
> explaintext="This policy disables the autoplay feature on
> the selected drive(s)"
> labeltext="URL"

Anonymous
July 15, 2004 5:08:26 AM

I have spent months thinking it was an error with the
configuration of the ADM file...

....is there a reason this is the default?? Can it be
disabled, so that it always show ALL policies?

confers no rights.

>"Martin Powell" <martin.powell@itnetplc.com> wrote in
message
>> I am trying to create a custom ADM file and when I
change
>> the KEYNAME value to the required one to change, it no
>> longer shows in Group Policy Editor. Two KEYNAME values
>> are shown, it only appears when the "colon ed" line is
>> active.
>>
>> Attached adm file
>>
>> CLASS MACHINE
>>
>> CATEGORY !!categoryname
>>
>> CATEGORY !!Home
>> ; KEYNAME "SOFTWARE\Policies\System"
>> KEYNAME "SOFTWARE\Compaq\Easy Access
>> Buttons\Schemes\Compaq\2"
>> POLICY !!policyname
>> PART !!labeltext EDITTEXT REQUIRED
>> VALUENAME "Assignment"
>> END PART
>> END POLICY
>> END CATEGORY
>> END CATEGORY
>>
>> [strings]
>>
>> categoryname="COMPAQ"
>> Home="Home Button"
>> policyname="Home URL"
>> explaintext="This policy disables the autoplay feature
on
>> the selected drive(s)"
>> labeltext="URL"
>>

>.

Anonymous
July 15, 2004 1:49:39 PM

The intent is to have the preferred place for policies to be in the Policy
keys where they are managed by the group policy engine. Polcies outside of
those are not managed and are tatooed to the registry (they will persist
unless a revese policy is applied)
Those keys are under the HKLM and HKCU paths:
....\Software\Policies
....\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies

Windows 2000 will keep the setting that it was changed to as it sets the
following value in the registry:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy
Editor
ShowPoliciesOnly = 1

Windows XP/2003 do not appear to save this setting so it must be redone each
time the editor is started.

--

!