A Little Help Please?

diplomat696

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2004
Ok, so I came home from work today and my pc screen is black, comp is on but nothing on screen. So i think ok, maybe something got stuck and it just wants a reboot. Rebooted and I get a message saying overclock failed hit f1 to enter setup. I set everything to defaul basically and rebooted and I can get into windows seems to be ok.

I opened a couple of programs up and just keep an eye on things then the computer freezes so i reboot again, no messages about overclock now all seems good.

Back into windows and then after another few minutes of idling I get the black screen again as if the computer has turned off the monitor but it isnt turned off it just goes into standby for the monitor and I cant get it out of it.

I switched my monitor from using the HDMI adapter to the standard connection thinking perhaps there was something wrong with it and so far so good but I am not convinced that is what the problem was.

Comp Specs are as follows:
P4 2.8Ghz Prescott (running hot as ever 50+ Degrees Centigrade)
Asus P4C800E Deluxe
2gb Kingston HyperX PC3200
550W Antec Tru Power PSU
256mb ATI Radeon 9800Pro
Creative SB Audigy Pro
WD Raptor 74GB + 3x300GB Maxtors
Lian Li PC70 Full Tower, DVD Burner + CD Burner (Blah)

anyone else had an issue similar to this and any clues on how to fix it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks Guys

EDIT:

I am wondering if it was perhaps overheating, two things i noticed before was in the bios the motherboard monitor was telling me the CPU was at 60 degrees Centigrade!!! and now I have it idling no problems so far with the side of the case off the MBM5 is telling me the CPU is idling at between 37 and 40 degrees centigrade.

any opinions on that?

diplomat696

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2004
will give it a try tonite but to me it looks like it might be graphics related as it really appears that after the monitor powers down through windows when im not using the pc that it just wont come back from that state. Not sure though, its a pain, I havent had any issues with this system for 3+ years.